anxiety disorders

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by wein-dog12, Jan 3, 2010.

1. so i finally took the time do a bit of research on anxiety disorders and looked it up on wiki and it seems i have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) i have more then enough symptoms that qualify for it and i always did think i may have one but only now have actully looked into it. i've been thinking about going to the docter but i dont really want to.

if any one wants to comment or anyone with an anxiety disorder has anything to say all are welcome.

2. here is my 2 cents on the topic:

1.) benzos are a lifesaver for anxiety

2.) most doctors wont prescribe you benzos

3.) most doctors will give you some low grade SSRI like Paxil and refer you to cognitive therapy

get addicted to xanax ? HAVE FUN

3. they suck. period

imo, stay away from anti-anxiety meds

4. #4 Shazbuckle, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2010
    hey guys,

I think I may have an anxiety disorder, and as a result I have to drink at parties or I become to reserved and awkward. I'm worried that soon enough, like over summer where i will be partying every second day alcohol won't be the smartest thing to binge on for the 3 month period. I'd love to go some nights without alcohol but I'm so afraid as to what I'll do (or won't do for that matter).

I can be comfortable around people I know, but when it comes to partying with new people I tend to rely on alcohol to break that barrier or nervousness I'd normally have to deal with sober, which isn't something I'm great at. Is this preety much universal or do I suffer from social anxiety?

It's very awlward for me as my dad is my doctor, and I wouldn't exactly feel comfortable talking to him about social anxiety, but it would be nice to know if I do have it.

Thoughts?

5. anxiety here, got over somehow after having straight up panic attacks for 4 days straight, started eating healthier, taking vitamins and drinking ensure

6. i have anxiety too. its such a pain in the ass. lately, ive been able to almost control my anxiety by convincing myself that there is no reason to be nervous, or anxious, and everything will be okay. if you can convince yourself that everything is fine, then your anxiety wont be so bad. perhaps try that first, and then see a doctor, but only go to the doctor to get meds if your anxiety is so bad you feel you need meds. good luck! keep us posted

:)

7. Self-diagnosing is one of the most damaging things you can do to yourself. The placebo effect is very real, and doesn't always (actually almost never) work in your favor. It's easy to see yourself in the symptoms list you found on Wikipedia, even if you're just grasping at straws. The brain wants to make connections between yourself and the information that you're reading, so you may just be naturally trumping things up when you look at that symptoms list in a way to make yourself fit where perhaps you shouldn't be fitting.

That's why the DSM-IV is so rigid (The DSM-IV is the fourth iteration of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, commonly called DSM-IV, or DSM-IV-TR for the text revision that happened in the early 2000s). It takes quite a while to diagnose somebody with GAD because of the placebo effect. The same goes for all mental health disorders.

Your best bet is to go and talk to a doctor and stop trying to diagnose yourself, unless you want other problems to arise as a result. It's all well and good to research what is going on in your head, but making the judgment that you actually have GAD without actually knowing what GAD is, or the steps involved in diagnosing somebody with it, isn't a good idea.

A corrolary to investigate is Munchausen Syndrome. That shows why it's important to not self-diagnose.

8. Aren't you kind of contradicting yourself a little here? Recommending benzos and then cautioning against them? :confused:

I would never tell someone that benzos are a good way to solve their anxiety, personally. I have a whole lot of anxiety, tried to benzo thing, it turned out very, very badly for me.
    It's a bandaid, not a cure.

I have a lot of anxiety too, and I've thought about going to a doctor and getting prescribed something, but I just don't feel like there's a good enough reason to put myself on pills for the rest of my life.

Sure, I feel awkward and parties and social gatherings because of my anxiety. Sure, sometimes very small issues feel like they're the end of the world because I get such anxiety over them. And sure, I wish it didn't have to be like that.

But it's a personal choice I made that I would rather be like that and try to teach myself how to get over it, than to try to cover it up with medication.

That's just my two cents. :p

9. god anxiety sucks... I swear i have to be worrying about something at all times. It really bums me out.

10. Yes anxiety sucks really bad.

11. I have horrid anxiety problems at times, and depending where i'm at, can range from not a problem, to severe, almost mentally crippling anxiety.

One thing to avoid at all costs if you have bad anxiety, is drinking.

One beer or two won't hurt you, but i've found that any more than that, and the next morning, you will feel like you are in hell mentally. All your anxieties and fears, plus some new ones, skyrocketed in intensity x 10.

When I used to party way, wayyyy too hard with the booze, I had this issue.

However, I have not yet tried any standard treatments for it, except mental therapy and the lovely herb :)

The herb has helped leaps and bounds with it. I have almost have no anxiety after i've been high. And I mean the 'high', and the sobriety after. It only seems to come back strong when I haven't had herb in too long. hope this helps.:wave: