Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anxiety Disorder - Medical Marijuana Card

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Zimed, Nov 12, 2006.

1. I was born with Social Anxiety Disorder, might I say the degree of it
    is very severe.

My parents are very foolish when it comes to Cannabis and Health, they
    believe it destroys lives, and makes people drug addicts....not
    looking at it with the medicinal, herbal aspect. I explained to them
    even, the reason I was using it.

I have been medicated heavily for my anxiety (similair to the way you
    were, throughout your insomnia)....with Xanax, Paxil, Zoloft,
    Klonopin, and many, MANY other medication that I cant think of right
    now, or dont feel like righting down. (At least 20 different)

My parents think marijuana makes you a junkie, and they dont want it
    done under there "ROOF", even whilst the explination I gave them. So,
    my only option is to move to California. I recently
    became aware they prescribe medical marijuana cards to patients with
    Anxiety disorders.

I am asking here, because people have been through the process of
    getting one, and I want to know if moving there will help me, and if I
    can obtain a medical marijuana card for my ailment.

Considering I am 18, I could move whenever I choose to, but as it is, my life is extremely unhappy. Something quite interesting is, no matter, the sufficent amount of evidence you reveal to my parents, it is not godo enough for them. They say you become an Addict, but what about the pills I am on now -- could not one coorelate that to the same issue, I am an addict on them, because I am using them to relieve my disorder, when, however, Paxil and lots of the pills I have been on have taken serious tolls on my health? They say, you spend a lot of money, butif it makes you feel 'normal' for once, then is that ot okay? It's not usually even "a lot", I guarantee, it's a lot less than going out and buying constant, numerous, differential prescriptions for pills, that are like water.

Thank you.

(I was also, born and diagnosed (along with social anxiety disorder with Obcessive Compulsive Disorder.))

2. i think smoking would make your anxiety worse.

3. I have been smoking for about a year now, and it has enhanced my functionability in the world, I do not get panic attacks, I don't clinch my fists, grind my teeth, shiver, sweat, get warm and burn up because of panic attacks.

Also, the anxiety carries over to the night, and effects my sleeping/sleeping habits, and thus I have insomnia. It's like all of the anxiety from the day/past days, comes to my mind at night, and stays there, racing around, and making me stay awake....would I qualify?

4. I have the same problem I deal with social anxiety I used to take 2mg of klonopin every day for the anxiety for about 2 years eventhough klonopin gave me that 'false sense of well being' I still felt anxious, and coming off of klonopin was really hard. I wish I could be prescribed pot for my anxiety...
    When i smoke it seems like I'm aware of the people around me and I know I should be anxious because i've dealt with it for so long... But everything is fine and i don't feel like my senses are constriced due to all of my anxiety..

I don't have any advice I have the same rope to climb..but you're not alone alot of people have this

5. sounds like you probably have a good case.

6. Read my thread. My aspergers is 20% Anxiety Disorder.
    But its far more servere than you could imagen.

7. im currently seeing a phsyc about my ocd, and also feel i might have social anxiety and have been very curious about mmj for this disorder and what states have legalized mj for treatment. hopefully someone could help us all out who knows of this

on a side note my phsyc wanted to put me on zoloft but i wasnt sure so if u could comment on its help with these disorders, thanks

8. Avoid that crap like the plauge, grow your own before that....That's really the best advice i can give sorry.
    Try them, and if they help hell, use them.

9. i noticed when i quit smoking for a wek lol i was very agervated, anxoius, and my tummy hurted alot....but i would stay away from most prescribe drugs becaus of all the side effects and you can grow a depency from some of them...my girl is taking some pyshophramcolgy (drugs and the brain) class and the stuff that i learn just from her blows my mind away.

10. Marijuana does help with social anxiety. I had horrible problems socializing, I'd feel like evryone was watching and judging me. I got on Lexapro, it did help a lot too. But it wasn't until I added marijuana to my medication that I really was able to enjoy a healthy social life.

11. Zoloft can work. I know a few people on it.

My recommendation is to take your doctor's recommendation, but also ask about MMJ if your state has a MMJ program.

12. i can vouch for that too. i have social anxiety, depression, and mild rage issues. ever since i started using cannabis once or twice weekly i have yet to have a break down, cry, have a panic attack, or add to the list of holes/knife marks i have to fix in my walls

13. Scientists are looking for a way to mimic marijuana's anti-anxiety properties to help people with social anxiety disorder and other anxiety disorders. A chiropractor in Raleigh, North Carolina is using applied kinesiology, a form of biofeedback, to treat the symptoms of menopause.
    ------------------------
    Dolly

http://www.drugaddiction.net/connecticut

14. #15 mobitsfa, Aug 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
    i got my recommendation for anxiety/insomnia/chronic pain. I just told the doctor about my anxiety, how it keeps me up at night, and the headaches/tension in my neck and shoulders after panick attacks. I brought my empty perscriptions for lexapro and xanax, but he didn't even ask for them, or any medical records.

Took about 20 mins total, most of the time was spent waiting to be seen. I probably talked to the doc for 2-3 mins.

It was 125.00 total for a pre-qualification and appointment.

15. I've also got SAD, and it's certainly not fun. For some, anxiety is increased while smoking, but that is the complete opposite for me. I feel much more relaxed and confident while high. It is incredible with the amount of disinformation regarding marijuana, especially amongst trained professionals who scold me on its "side-affects". I can unequivocally say that effexor, the drug I was prescribed for anxiety, caused me more pain and suffering through withdrawl than I could adequately explain in text.

16. Move to california.

Medicann will write you a recommendation for 110$. So will a lot of other doctors because anxiety is the pits!

I have Asperger's Syndrome and have all the same problems you do as far as anxiety goes. I found that Cinderalla-99 made life like freaking butter! Damn that was a sweet week and a half.

I've been on the lookout for her ever since and haven't been successful.

The closest I come nowdays to getting what I need is Sour Diesel and probably Jack Herer though what I had was a cross with too much Indica in it.

You'll most likely never convince your parents that it's good for you until after you move and start having a normal life.

Check the link in my sig to the old overgrow.com faq site and read all the stickies here on GrassCity as well.

As long as you're employable you can get a job and move there after you're ready to start your grow. Set up a micro-grow and have all the medical you need for yourself with only a 150W HPS grow.

Once that's successful... see if you're into joining a co-op and supplying others with the medical they need.

Cheers!

17. Just my 2 cents:

For the parents, don't push it. I compare coming out and saying you are a medical cannabis user to a homosexual coming out and saying they are gay. It may not be nearly as emotionally unsettling, but in both situations, there are compassionate, understanding people, but unfortunatley the vast majority of people are against you. This is where I say don't push it, especially with your anxiety disorder. I myself have flare of panic attacks and anxiety, and while it is not clinically diagnosed, I do believe that I suffer from some sort of anxiety disorder. I remember when I was really pushing my parents to accept the whole cannabis thing, they both finally just told me their were disappointed in who I had become. To the strong willed, these may just be words, but to the emotionally vulnerable, this was crushing. I really struggled with that comment to this day, despite my parents apologizing and whatnot. Trust me, you don't want to push your parents to say things that they don't mean, because they really hurt, and will hurt you even more.

As for the anxiety part, I get mixed reviews from people. I have always said that it is unhealthy to use any kind of medicine or drug to escape and emotion. Its really unhealthy in my opinion to use cannabis to escape feelings, because while it does have medicinal value, it DOES NOT fix chemical imbalances. While you will feel good in the beginning, I think you will find that the overall effect of the cannabis will be unsatisfying per se; not a real solution to the problem.

Having said all of this, I am not a doctor, and I can only speak of my own experiences. I hope you find a solution to your illnesses, I can sympathize with the paralyzing effects of anxiety, its something no person ever deserves to have.

18. dude ur set! with that much medical paperwork u could get a card anywhere in cali. its really easy to get one, especially in La. I have medical cannabis that i use for social anxiety and depression and i feel u on the parents thing I was 17 when i explained to my parents that it was helping me. I was taking paxil but it never really did anything to me i just felt the same, i took it for for about a month. but ya move to cali its nice out hear u can even grow ur own medicine too. good luck

19. hey dude, i am on the same boat pretty much everything you said reminded me of myself...iv tried many medications for anxiety none worked. i just recently applyed for medical marijuana i hope i get it so i can live a normal life :smoke: but dude i would talk to your doctor tell him everything you just posted and hope for the best.good luck i hope this helped.