Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anxiety, depression & panic attacks

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by I Wayne, Aug 29, 2011.

1. i understand wayne, a lot of it has to do with the judgemental jerk offs out there and not necessarily you bro. i like to call them "hawks". anytime i'm around one i count to ten and take deep slow breaths. they are still there though but they're shadowlike. hawks thrive on your miscomfort to promote their own self images. just something that helps me. if the general contemptuos attitudes of people today changed, we'd have no need of these pills, i mean no one had need for anti depressants at woodstock....

• Like Like x 1
  2. ^beautiful post.

3. #23 I Wayne, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    that is some good advice right there. im not saying the people in my past who have put me down are a cause of this, but psychologically it could be true.

4. #25 I Wayne, Aug 31, 2011
  5. I appreciate the thoughts and insight. I can assure you, I know MUCH more about this than you realize. I totally recognize that different people and different situations call for different approaches. I was addressing I Wayne's concerns directly and, based on what he's divulged, I stand firmly by my recommendation (only my $.02, nothing more...I'm not a doctor).

As far as "easing" off your meds...

OMG! Easing off your meds ISN'T a two week process! It took my wife over 6 months to ween off of benzos and SSRI's using the Ashton Manual's strict regimen (and that was just the hard part)! This is something that I feel VERY strongly about and will speak boldly about b/c I have walked through it (and I've walked through it with others including my wife). I hope that you will also when you overcome this!

6. I'm hoping I will. Just need my knee and shoulder to heal and get back to the gym.

7. damn. on a different note im about to pick up some indo headies. im not so sure if i should smole though...it will either help me in the meantime or after im not stoned i will only freak out more :/..any advice?

8. Just hit it slow bro! Take a few minutes between each pull and self-titrate.

9. #30 SirBongwalski, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011
    I have a similar problem, it sucks everyday dealing with this but weed helps me a lot trust me if you have chronic anxiety it helps.

10. #31 I Wayne, Sep 3, 2011
    thank you for the input. my friend gave me a small nugget of some decent outdoors. maybe 70 sativa / 30 indica, idk its a bit fluffy. but tonight i am most likely going to take 3 or 4 rips to see how i feel. no panic attacks have hit me but i get on the verge of where they almost do, but im on the line of almost having them..its kinda hard to explain.

thanks for posting...it does help a little little bit that im not the only one going through this. however a friend from high school told me hes going through the same thing. he had to quit smoking for his job. I am starting to see a familar trend here....im pretty sure we get all these panic/anxiety attacks due to the lack of ganja hand feeding us slight more happiness and our endorphines arent fully clicking back and forth anymore. in fact, im positive this is what it is...3 of my brothers and my aunt went through all this. ive pretty much gathered enough advice to know whats going on. although im not perfect at dealing with it yet. if im not 100% busy, i get slight panic attacks. im going to try smoking a little to see if i can ease up off the cold turkey for a bit, but who knows what'll happen, ya know.

i check my GC account daily if you or anyone needs to talk to keep your mind busy...thanks all. i appreciate it.

11. Yeah I'll admit sometimes I'll get more anxious when I'm a week or so off weed though I find exercise and having a job can help a bit during those times but if you have bad anxiety, especially if it's serveral years-lifelong if weed helps you might as well use it. Sadly I'm to anxious sober to meditate I've tried many times but I can't concentrate, and I've heard meditating helps if you can do it but you need a clear mind which is hard-impossible with any anxiety. I just suggest finding what works for you I've known people who have no anxiety sober but as soon as they smoke they get anxious as hell well I'm relaxed and calm high.

12. #33 I Wayne, Sep 3, 2011
    I cant say this enough without sounding like a zombie, however thank you for sharing your experiences. everything you've said has run through my mind within the last two weeks a bunch. yet, i've only had 2 BAD panic attacks within the last 2 & 1/2 weeks, since i quit smoking weed (for the second time). meditation is one thing i am going to try tonight, thank you for reminding me. also your right about work/keeping busy...i only work about 18-24 hours at most a week, school for about 8 hours a week, excersize about 8 hours a week which leaves me with too many hours for my mind to race and freak out!!!!

i hate blowing up GC with my problems but i am just someone in need of help who my doctor cant even help...its just my time in life to finally handle shit up on my own, and only advice helps me improve at all.

EDIT: Oh also you stated, "But if you have bad anxiety, especially if it's serveral years-lifelong if weed helps you might as well use it", i have not experimented whether ganja will help me or not. I'm 50/50 on deciding if i will smoke a bit tonight or not. My guess is the result will be it will help, however when i wake up i will be way worse. Or the smoke will just make me freak out even more, which is what caused the majority of my problems right now.

(sorry if my grammar/punctuation is off, on a phone!)

13. congrats on at least working a little even if its only 28 hours a week(still a lot)

I can't work do to my condition I become an emotional wreck after the first 2 days, i usually only make it to the second day because of weed. I hate being a quitter but shit its a toss up between having money and being even remotely happy.
    I'm learning more and more that modern society isnt how people are supposed to live, stress and anxiety are abundant when trying to live a "normal" live by these standards. theres no time for stress and anxiety in the wild, too busy running for your life. we dont need to go back thatttt far, but somewhere in the middle would be decent for me.

The way things are going I'm fairly certain i will never be able to hold down a job. I'm not even sure i want one, i dont care about money or material possessions, I just want to be able to wakeup without caring about anything and relax, is that to much to ask.

haha just started typing there dunno what im rambling about im depressed as Fook:eek: bout a hundred fucking things running through my mind. hugs and kisses to anyone whos feeling similar at the moment well get through it im sure!

ha sometimes i feel like im kidding with that shit, how can anyone be happy in such a miserable world

14. holy hell man. you just spoke the inner feelings within me that i have not discovered yet. when you say this isnt how we're supposed to live...i swear that has crossed my mind while smoking buds. because just an hour ago i was telling my girl how i dont have goals in life, how i get angry or depressed when asked what i want to do with my life in school and how nothing material means anything to me! i could give two god damn shits about making money and having a big
    house...fuck it i do not what-so-ever need that. i would NEVER off myself, im a pussy...however death comes to my mind when i have free racing thoughts cause nothing else matters. now that ive spoken my mind i am truly sorry you cant hold up a job. i truly understand how you feel, however i only have minor symptoms and feelings of what you feel. Its the truth no matter how crazy i sound.

i feel if i smoke it will make me worse tomorrow and only help tonight. i need to really think about who i am deep down in order to figure out what triggers my anger, depression, anxiety and panic attacks.

15. use of ADD pills like vyvanse will cause you to become depressed from lack of dopamine and have all sorts of bad long terms effects. (anxiety, anti social, depression, mood swings ect.)

16. Scary thing about bud im starting to find is, it could be the root of alot of problems because of its ability to open your mind and view things from another angle. Seeing things that never even bothered you before and realizing whats wrong with them only because of your new opened mind. Then figuring out you cant change those things makes me depressed.

ARGHHHH hahaha everything is so backwards I was in a dark place for the last little bit of the night, and i was clearly spiraling downwards but I just hit a bowl before typing this and feel like even though it might only be a temporary fix, it just changed my entire night.

now its the struggle of finding out if im Alright with going through life having nothing but this "bandaid" we call weed to help me or if i should try to go even deeper into my problems to figure them out.. epic thread going on here lots of self discovery and sound advice.

17. So get this, in my manic mindset earlier I sent an email to someone that was completely uneeded, I was just mad at the world and took it out on this random person...after hittin the bowl and feeling miles better, I went to appologize to that person and wouldn't you know it... the message failed to send.

Hows that for something positive out of what was a negative asss night:wave:

Sometimes I guess one little thing is all it takes, I can honestly say im off to bed damn near Happy to be living right now. :D

18. #39 fomoiri, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011
    they've actually isolated a gene specific to a small percentage of people who are predisposed to psychotic disorders. The gene in question is only vulnerable while in adolescence. It only would only effect less than 1% of the pop. though.

There's also been plenty of other studies, but it doesn't have to apply to %100 of the population, these studies primarily show that those with a genetic (ie: family history) of mental illness, particularly psychotic disorders, are at a much higher risk, particularly during adolescence-early-mid/latest teens. And of those at risk, only a small percentage will develop early onset mental illness related to cannabis. the isolated gene in question, is related one that is triggered by early cannabis use.
    these studies are done mostly outside the US, so any rhetoric about the prohibitionists controlling studies is void. The US isn't going to be funding pot studies, focused on a single subject, to Canada, Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, UK, Australia or NZ.

I know, an unpopular comment that I've made before, but if you can accept the scientific findings that show positive uses for marijuana (and the chemicals found within said plant) then why refuse other science just because it doesn't mesh with your own opinion?

19. To the OP, to make a medical case for yourself regarding mmj and depression/anxiety, you're going to be better off trying the standard methods of treatment before alternatives are considered. That doesn't necessarily mean taking meds, although that would help your case - they take 4-6 weeks average to build up in your body and be effective. Cognitive therapy to actually learn to deal with and manage your anxiety and depression. That will do far more for you that pot or pills. But it's up to you how much you put in.

For your diagnosis, the most effective form of treatment, which is backed up by research, is the combo of anti-depressants (which most newer ones have anti-anxiety properties without the danger risk of benzodiazapines) and cognitive-behavior therapy - which helps you to learn to manage the above - the use of meds can just be short term.

I'd be more concerned with taking xanax/valium/klonipin etc than any anti-depressant. Coming off anti-depressants is pretty easy, coming off of the latter could kill you-seizures, and the withdrawals can last up to 6 months.

I know in the US it's different, so I don't know if the above would cost you any money or not - doesn't us, unless you got private. For mmj, maybe you can just pay a doctor, I dunno how it works. But logically, it would benefit you more to build a medical profile, so when you do request an alternative, you have the proof that you tried, rather than saying "i dont want pills, gimme weed, because, er uh, it helps me"