Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anxiety Attacks and Insomnia

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by admiralkush, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Did a search, found a little, made a post, hope to learn a lot.

I've been suffering from insomnia since as long as I can remember. Probably at least six years. I've tried Ambien but it made me feel sick. Valerian root tea is my current treatment (aside from marijuana).

On top of that I sometimes have really awful anxiety attacks. I can't breathe, get all tight chested, and really can't function. No doubt it's due in part to not sleeping.

The catch is I don't have an extensive medical history. My family raised me to just deal with things on your own, so I researched online and came to the conclusion that the only solution for sleep was a sleep study which I can't afford, so I've self-medicated with valerian.

I saw someone about anxiety but got a Rx for Xanax which I hated. It left me numb and emotionless. After that, I pretty much gave up on western medicine. This was about two years ago.

Is my lack of medical history going to be a problem? I seriously think many doctors just push pills so that's one of the reasons I prefer to treat myself, the other is a lack of insurance. I've experimented with marijuana and gotten relief but I'm afraid of being denied and not getting help.

Thoughts? :confused:

2. Anxiety and insomnia are two very valid qualifications for medical marijuana via doctor's recommendation. In terms of your medical record, i'm sure you sitting your doctor down and telling him what you've told us should do you just fine. Good luck

3. I'll explain that for sure. Would medical records from my therapist be beneficial? I've been seeing someone for about six months and saw someone about a year ago for the same amount of time. I was never prescribed medication though I was given referrals to psychiatrists.

4. No advice to offer, yet I'm in the same boat.

I also have anxiety and mild insomnia issues. And I've also tried ambien, but that is a horrible, horrible drug for the mind. Way worse than marijuana could ever be. (yet it's legal!)

I'm on/was on Zoloft for my anxiety, and that helped with the physical symptoms a little, but not the mental symptoms, which marijuana does treat. (makes me actually able to have fun in public settings, instead of stressing)

Unfortunately I live in a state without medical marijuana.

I think the lack of medical history will be a pretty big problem, though.

5. Such a double standard when it comes to pharma. It's all about the dollar. They can't patent a natural compound so they synthesize and lobby the product no matter the side effects. A friend w/ Ambien used to hallucinate. He asked his MD what to do and he recommended a different sleep med. Still halucinated.

6. I agree 100%. People can, with somewhat ease get a "sleepy time" pill from their doctor to hallucinate, among other side effects.... While you have politicians going around wanting to ban Salvia, a hallucinogenic drug that lasts 5-30 minutes compared to the 2+ hour ambien. Not only that but Salvia basically incapacitates you for that time period, with ambien you are free to be able to go driving (which I've done, horrible, so dangerous... But your drugged up and impaired. I don't get that way on marijuana) out and about, ect, causing all sorts of problems.

Kinda turned the post into a rant about politicians and salvia than the OT. :eek:

7. if your medical records show a diagnosis for anxiety or something they you are all good.

has your therapist told you if there is anything wrong with you? are they even allowed to tell you?

8. i'm dignoised with anxiety / panic disorder i use to get the same shit except my stomach would hurt really bad, shit sucked horribly.

i'm working day by day using marijuana as my medication to overcome anxiety and it's working great so far, haven't had a panic attack in 6 months, feels great to be ridden of such a burden..

9. I think it does. Still waiting on the records from my Dr. to find out. I know the Dr. told me my symptoms were of situational anxiety and gave me the xanax to try out. It was amazing but numbed me out. One day I took the wrong pill (xanax instead of the other) and was walking around telling people exactly how I felt about them. Those poor cashiers at Target... :p

The therapist advised me to see a psychiatrist for further evaluation. He can't prescribe but based on our sessions he felt a temporary intervention with pharmaceuticals wouldn't hurt, he just couldn't make a formal diagnosis.