Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anxiety attack/throat feels like it's closing in after blazing

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by NaSDNaS, Mar 3, 2010.

1. *Sorry for length, but I would extremely appreciate some answers*

Hello, i've been smoking weed for around a year now. Two days ago(a monday), I smoked a bong with some weed that I had also smoked two days previously(a saturday). On that saturday, after smoking a blunt with 2 friends, a huge hive broke out on my face. I didn't really think much of it and the hive went away in around 30min-1hr. On this monday, I smoked one bowl of the weed from the bong, and around an hour later, I felt like my throat was closing up. While this was happening, I started to have an anxiety attack. This was the first anxiety attack I have had in my life, but am pretty sure that's what it was(I thought my throat was going to close up and I thought I was dying. I also was shaking uncontrollably, heart pounding out of control, hyperventilating, etc.). I think I've had some anxiety-type thoughts while high before(but absolutely nothing major), so apparently I have anxiety haha. The feeling in my throat still has not gone away completely, and the symptoms are identical to a cricopharyngeal spasm, which apparently is not life-threatening or anything like that. However, I feel that the cricopharyngeal spasm was triggered by me smoking the weed. It is important to note that I have never had any adverse reactions to weed before these two times, and the dealer I bought it from owns two dogs and a cat, and also keeps his weed on the carpet underneath his table. It has been confirmed by my allergist that I am allergic to both dogs and cats, and even today I broke out with a tiny hive on my face while at a friend's house(who has a dog, and this dog licked me somewhat while I was there). Each three times I broke out, I took benadryl and I was fine afterwords(minus clearing up this throat thing, which apparently is 100% related to stress/anxiety if I actually have a cricopharyngeal spasm). So my question to this forum: Am I allergic to weed? or was this weed somehow "contaminated" by my dealer's dogs/cat? Would you think I am a-okay to continue smoking weed? I have not smoked since monday. Thank you very much for reading/responding!

2. If you've never had any problems before this particular deal, then I would say it's pretty unlikely you're allergic to weed. Are these symptoms similar to when you have an allergic attack from cats and dogs? I would venture to say that the cat/dog dander along with the incredible amount of dust that can be in carpets, it's more likely it's just your allergens rubbing off on your weed.

But I definitely wouldn't ever smoke that guy's weed again. Try to get it from someone else and have an experimental smoke session to see what happens. And make sure you have a phone that can reach emergency stations close by, just in case you've developed a sudden allergy to marijuana.

It might also just be the smoke. So making some edibles (weak ones, at first) to test this out might be something you'd also want to do. Again, please make sure you're in the company of trustworthy friends and a phone near by.

Good luck!

3. Yeah ^

I was thinking you might have had an allergic reaction to some growing chemical. Never know, just don't smoke anymore of that bud.