Ants are attacking my plants.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Smokaification, Oct 26, 2009.

1. So ants have been makin their nest in the pots of my plants, but its just the MJ plants, other plants are unaffected. Does anyone know why? Solutions? Help in general?

2. I would get ant traps for sure...
    I have an ant problem in my bedroom every fucking summer, so I leave soda out, the ants seem to love it, and can't get out. I also used peanut butter, a lighter, and an axe can to make a flame thrower to get rid of some on my desk, but that doesn't seem like a good option for a grow. (I just fucking HATE ants...)
    You may want to just get some new soil and get rid of that ant infested soil sorry I can't offer any more help : /

Edit - now that I think about it, the ant traps may not be that great of an idea because they contain poison and the ants would end up bringing it into your soil (their new home).

3. The problem im having is that ive moved the plant into 2 different pots and changed locations but the ants seem to flock to them(includin males)

Can someone shed some light on this because im in the dark.

4. neem oil seems to fight against every pest.. id say try that.. ants are not suppost to be a problem though from what i read.

5. Someone needs to tell them that!

They have attacked every outdoor plant ive had. It seems they attack them when they flower(males also) i am very confused.

Im thinkin about movin the plant again and puttin it off the ground and puttin poison around the outside of the pot.

Anyone have to deal with this before?

6. i haven't experienced this problem my self but try seven dust around the pots i think that stuff works....

7. Thats what i plan on using:D

I just want to know WHY the ants are attracted to my plants. Food maybe? They dont seem to be eating it though.

Thinking about it, if i saw a huge cannabis plant i would build a home at the base:smoking:

8. Are the ants actually physically attacking and/or damaging the plants? A few studies have shown that ants actually help plants by building their nest near it, though not intentionally. The tunnels they make actually help aerate the plants roots and underground structures. They also tend to eat pest that would attack the plants. The only problem I see is just the inconvenience they pose to you when you are around your plants. If they aren't hurting the plants in anyway, the only reason to remove them is if they are causing you a serious problem when you try to get near your plants.

9. A quick fix to this problem
    Put your plant pot on top of a brick or two.
    Now put these bricks with the plant pot on top of it into a dish with maybe a few inches of water in it.

This way if the ants want to get your plants, they have to swim across to reach it but I don't think they can swim.

If that doesn't work, I highly recommend Terro ant extermination products.
    Ant Problem? Terro = Ant Control Solutions
    They have great ant baits that not only kill the ants eating the bait, but the boric acid it contains (all natural chemical by the way) takes a while to kill the ants. And ants have two stomachs, 1 to feed themselves, 1 to feed other people in the colony (Mainly the queen) and because of the delayed time of the boric acid to take affect, everybody in the colony ends up getting their dose of this boric acid and in turn, they all end up dying, wiping out the colony and the queen.

Just killing those suckers that are attacking your plants will not kill the queen and that fat bitch will just keep making babies.
    (I guess you can tell I've had my fair share of ants invading my home)

10. Is the peanut butter like an organic napalm? I've got visions of it blazing up, and the burnt carcasses of the ants rolling around in the melting, flaming, nutty inferno........
    :smoke:

11. #11 mikeyman, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009
    yes that happen to me they killed the plant..try to flood you plants and then kill them as they get out

12. i totally agree! dont know a whole lot but i just had the thought on how well they would aerate the soil. if they arent harming your plant they are probably helping it. like i said tho not an expert on this. me personally i dont mind ants part of mother natures cycles of life.

13. Ants man... Those most powerful damn thing on this planet, leave it be. Leave your home, travel somewhere else and settle, they'll come for you.

14. try a barrier of a product called tangle foot. like old fashioned fly-paper, put it on abig piece of card board and set the pots on it . ants stick then they die .

15. Lol this thread is 3 years old

16. Ants are always fun.

17. haaa haaa!!!!!

18. Make a moat around the plants, thoes fuckers carry aphids and thoes kill your MJ plants

19. The simple organic answer today is the same as it was three years ago, DE.

20. Duct tape. Wrap it around the top or bottom (or both) of ur pot, to form at least one complete circle. Hell u could probably even wrap the whole pot in it, but just one complete ring works for me. Make sure it stays flush against the pot, or else the ants will find their way under it. My problem with DE is it works against the good guys just as well as the bad

• Like Like x 1