Antiviruses and a rant

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Ninja20p, Jun 22, 2012.

1. I have been using Bit Defender, I wasn't sure how good it was until after it started deleting potential threats before windows booted showing me "Hey this thing knows it's shit!".

Now it uses lots of ram and all but as long as it keeps me safe I figured who cares. Then I got the ping.exe virus and had to system restore because it wouldn't see the damned thing. I figured I could over look it if it helped me out before.

But today, it deleted my Psychonauts game save before windows booted. This is the last straw. I was playing this for days collecting everything I could find, and the game is very fun and entertaining. How could it mistake a save game file for a virus especially days after playing? Fuck that.

Now I need to know pros and cons of different programs to replace BD, I am thinking of going with nod32 unless someone can recommend other programs with a bit of information about them. Anyone out there have any rants as well?

2. Microsoft Security Essentials and MBAM. Maybe CCleaner for freeing up hard drive space.

Ive got a small rant about norton. It deletes shit too, but for dumb reasons. Such as an application logging keypresses. Ever heard of music production, symantec? Video games? cmon. Not to mention how it just HAS to alert you that your graphically intensive game is using more than 50% CPU by kicking you out of fullscreen and popping up an alert.

And when it deletes a virus, it doesnt tell you what its called, where it came from, how long its been there, what it does, or anything! Of course, i had such an experience on someone elses computer. It took no more than 10 minutes for me to be so fed up with norton's bullshit that i just quit using their computer for anything except browsing youtube.

3. Not to mention the fact that Norton will basically act like a virus if you stop paying for it.

Norton sucks balls.

Get Microsoft Security Essentials if you have a valid copy of windows

4. I would go with Eset Smart Security or nod32. I've used Eset for years on my Windows machines and never had any problems, extremely lightweight and functional.

In most AV's you can set options to not auto-delete, or not delete files in a certain directory. At least in Eset and Avast you can.

5. Yup I'll mirror what Dissec said.

Been using Eset Nod32 since 2005 and have never once had an issue

6. Thanks for all your content :)

I have a question are you using both eset and nod32?

7. I own a mac, so i dont understand any of these troubles you guys are discussing.

8. Mac has viruses, perhaps you haven't found one yet.. or maybe you just haven't seen it. hehe

9. Nope, had an antivirus on here for a while, never found anything so i uninstalled it after a few months. (this was after 1+ year of use with no antivirus) Not worried about viruses as a mac user, at all. Download whatever i want whenever i want, no gay norton popping up to say some bullshit when i want to run a program or download a file... ahhhhh, the good life :smoke:

10. A few viruses here and there have been around for macs, nothing serious, nothing worth worrying about. thats not the first mac virus, and its not the last. unlike you pc users, who could have their systems shut down by any 13 year old with a keylogger and a cmd.

11. Hahaha, this wasn't meant to be a pc vs mac thread, that would be an interesting next though.

Security will always be compromised as long as someone wills it enough. You act like macs are completely invulnerable, perhaps they are, for the time being..

I do believe pcs have more going for them however, more compatibilites, cheaper prices, customizable (hence personal computer) ect.

Never really understood the point to getting a mac besides having both windows and osx installed on the same machine.

12. Eset is the company name. Nod32 is the antivirus name. Currently running version 4

They also have something called "Security Essentials" which I believe is malware protection and firewall and all of that. I just run their antivirus.

13. Not trying to say anything about Mac vs PC, but i think its quite obvious mac has much more going for it in terms of user safety and easiness to use. The fact that i can do anything i please for a year + with no antivirus of any kind on here and not getting any viruses and such says a lot. Pc users can do this too, but its much more dangerous for them to do so, especially if they use torrent programs, and things of that nature. All which i use on the regular with no protection ;)

And yea obviously pcs are cheaper, im not disputing prices or which is better, if you cant afford a mac or dont want to pay a bunch, dont get one, simple as that. And the point of getting a mac is the OS, not anything else. Though the macbook pro model i use has a very nice air flow structure through its uni-body design, which is something you will not get with a vast majority of windows laptops.

If you dont do any sort of video editing, photoshop, etc, macs are pretty pointless to own, unless you just enjoy a very user friendly, and secure operating system.

14. Okay thanks! I will be trying nod32 within the next couple days. Hopefully everyone heeds my warning about BD and your guys of Norton.

15. [quote name='"NowIsB"']I own a mac, so i dont understand any of these troubles you guys are discussing.[/quote]

This is completely unnecessary and pointless information.

16. lol that's why I thought he wanted to discuss mac vs pc.

I uninstalled BD and put on Smart Security, which is the advanced version of nod32. It is so less clunky then BD already and takes only half the ram! My computer already feels faster.

17. What? I dont know about this malware and antivirus things you guys speak of, can you not explain it to me ? :(

18. Sure, just give me your e-mail address and make sure when you receive my email, you download the file and execute it. It will explain everything you need to know.

19. [quote name='"NowIsB"']

What? I dont know about this malware and antivirus things you guys speak of, can you not explain it to me ? :([/quote]

Yeah, it's called the "trolls suck" virus ;)