Antimatter belt around Earth discovered by Pamela craft

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by MelT, Aug 7, 2011.

1. I know. I was more or less implying the idea of negative mass, due to the existence of positive mass. Mass is affected by gravity. Gravity is always attracting/pulling. It's hard to say that gravity is the only force of it's kind. With light, there is dark; with hot, there is cold; with gravity, there is....? Shouldn't there be a force opposite to gravity, created along side gravity, or due to, which interacts with atoms in the opposite way that gravity does, or has it's own group that it interacts with in the opposite manner? If gravity can pull certain things, shouldn't there be a force that is pushing certain things?

2. its called dark energy

3. shouldn't all the spacecraft leaving earth orbit have gone through and possibly interacted with this antimatter? how come the apollo astronauts didn't notice flashes of light everywhere when they went through this belt? or is there simply not enough antimatter there? but the article said it could be a possible fuel source which leads me to believe there is a lot.

4. could be several reasons; they didn't go through the area's where it is concentrated, it's there but there isn't that much there so what did interact wasn't noticeable over all the other effects of entering orbit, they just couldn't see it afterall it's not like they had bay windows to see everything.

It's a fuel source because it is constantly making it, not because there is a lot there. If you could just stick in a sort of pump and collect it as it builds up without having to do anything that would make it a good source.

5. nothing is wrong with curiosity, nor did i say there was...whats wrong with just peacefully existing?