Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Antidepressant/anxiolytic effects marijuana

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by ArloP, Jun 2, 2011.

1. #1 ArloP, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011
    Hola :smoke:
    so yeah, after deciding the prescription medication are pieces of absolute shit, and all for profit, i've decided to start smoking the herb, along with a bunch of other natural supplements. I know that obviously the antidepressant effects come on straight away, but like, when i toke up in a shit mood i tend to notice that my highs are just empty. im just out of it. whereas in a good mood (rare) i get normal highs.

So how long does it take for long term antidepressant effect of marijuana to take hold?

note: i've only ever smoked up on doses of antidepressants that make me zombified so far, maybe thats the reason my highs have been empty?. plus right now im going through SSRI withdrawals so that might counteract the good effects of the pot

also im not smoking to get stoned, im smoking it therapeutically

2. It can be finnicky man, for example i find the more i smoke the more depressed/anxious i may become.
    I did some research and i found that basically when you blaze, your brain release dopamine and serotonin. If you smoke too much, your brain doesnt have time to replenish these chemicals naturally. You end up runnin on an empty tank so to speak. These chemicals are responsible for depression, anxiety, eating issues, focus issues, and giving you the ability to feel like you can attain your goals. It was very eye opening for me considering i experience many of these feelings.

3. Cheers man
    The supplements im taking are meant to raise dopamine and serotonin levels in the brain, so i should all be good yeah?
    i feel anxious and depressed all the time. i dont know what ive really got to lose by smoking

4. #4 RetarrrdedTexas, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2011
    i medicated MDD (major depressive disorder) for a long time with pot, i would notice the depression came back full force about 48 hours after abstaining from any THC, so i would have to pretty much toke up every day and it had negative side effects (like being stoned in times when i really needed to be sober)

Celexa (SSRI) worked wonders for me, i no longer even feel the need to toke every day like i used to, i toke like two or three days a week now, never have lows really (well unless it's something i SHOULD feel low about)

what exactly do you not like about celexa? mine did funny things at 20mg, made me gain weight, made me actually over emotional, i'd find myself tearing up over funny things, like the sunset lol, or seeing a sad TV show) my psychiatrist raised it to 30mg and after a few days i leveled out, everythings improved, from coordination, to even my sense of taste/smell...

5. i dont really know what the medical use of marijuana is for depression but what i know from experience is that when im baked i sometimes feel depressed, not really depressed but paranoid which leads to a somewhat depressed state. and im not talking paranoid like im gonna get caught, just like personal stuff about friends idk how to explain it

6. I've suffered from depression for a good 10 years now, and I have reason to believe I would have pulled a Kurt Cobain if I didn't smoke weed every once in a while.

7. My big reason for starting to smoke was to relieve stress and fight depression. So far, the pleasant buzz I have the day following smoking in the evening has worked admirably. I got a nice high tonight and it will keep my calmer and less stressed through the work day tomorrow. Some lousy stuff happened today (well, Thursday) but instead of crushing me emotionally--and it would have--I was able to handle it.

8. I found celexa and other ssri's i tried just made me not care. like, i have ADD, but they made my concentration even worse, because on top of the fact that i found it hard to concentrate, i didn't want to. they just made me numb, it got rid of the bad emotions but took the good, and i dont want to live like that.
    Jeff, i agree :) the time period after your high is the best, i dont really like being high, i hate the loss of short term memory loss. but yeah when im off the weed its so good

9. This is true.
    Smoking every once in a while can help a lot with depression, but if you overdo it, it can have reverse effects and make you even more depressed. If this happens, you just gotta stop smoking for a bit.

10. Weed won't automatically throw you into happy land (as much as people make it seem like that). It just makes a good time even better, but can, just like many other drugs, make a bad time even worse. If you just found out you have a terminal illness and you're about to be evicted from your home, smoking weed isn't a free pass out of reality.

11. You might want to look into a hybrid strain with maybe a 60% Indica/40% Sativa blend. Also, something with low THC and high CBD could help. There is a lot of info on all of this in the Medical section of the City. Have a look and don't hesitate to ask questions. There are a LOT of very knowledgeable folks on the forum.
    Good luck!
    Be well and be blessed.

12. Try making edibles. You can make drinks or cookies, brownies. Have a little bit daily. it seems to help me. The withdrawal may be tough and that may cause much depression. alcohol I find is not good to mix. But if i stick to herb daily my moods become better and I am not concerned with what people think of me when I have some.:smoke: