Anti-slug/snail that works

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by cardinal, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Finally, I can give something back to youse guys.
    If you have snail and slug problems, go out and buy a copper mesh pot scrubber.
    Pull it apart, and it will stretch quite a way.
    Cut it into strips.
    Put a little collar around the base of your plant made of plastic, or even cardboard. This is because someone told me that plants don't want to be touched by the copper, and I didn't want to test the veracity of that assertion.
    Tie/wrap your mesh strips in a stylin' knot around your plastic collar.
    Stops snails.
    Had one snail in a milk crate eat 20 2-inch G13x Hash plant babies a few seasons ago. Have never really recovered.

2. Can u explain more easily what exactly to do, because i'm not so good in English, and really can't understand your description above...
    Is it necessary to be the net (meshwork) made of copper? Thank you in advance about the information. :D

3. What a bummer.

I don´t have a problem with snails eating my girls upstairs, but the lil bastards keep trying to munch my comfrey plants, which I use to make fert.

4. My babes are still in good condition and don't have really any problems, but i see when the ground is more humid the snails prefer to live there and i don't want to get in trouble...

5. Caused great hilarity among friends and family though.
    I saw on another site where the folks just plant comfrey around the border of their flower beds, and the snails eat it till they're full, leaving the other plants. Then in the morning when the snails are full and, well, sluggish (sorry) they pick them off the comfrey, and save them up until they have enough for paella. Kinda funny.
    That website is Gardening In Spain Cantharis, if you're interested. They seem to follow your discipline of comfrey use somewhat.
    I can't seem to find the comfrey roots here. Did you get yours in the UK?

6. #6 cantharis, May 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
    Cardinal, I actually bought their book !!! They taught me about comfrey fert.

Yes, I got my comfrey from the UK. Mail order. Bocking 14 is the strain.

7. You can use any kind of copper material around your plant base to repel snails and slugs. It doesn't have to be mesh, but the mesh scrubbers are easy to get, and they have worked really well for me.

8. I use copper rings and slug deterrent for optimum slug repellent.

9. Thank you very much, really nice tip! I'll try it as soon as possible.