Anti-Gay Marriage thread, not a bash thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by windchime159, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Gays want to be the right, through law, to be married. This would be through a religious ceremony through god. That would force priests and what not to practice against their religion. So gay marriage would be an act against god. Not only that but it goes against nature. And like it or not but this country was founded under god, but with tolerance and freedom. Humans pretend our lives are more important than they really are with our smart phones and mass media. When it comes down to it, naturally we are to survive and reproduce. This makes gays unable to reproduce and fulfill their duties as a human just as every other animal on earth does.:confused_2:

I do not belong to any church or religion. I am open to all but I will not be told what to think. I chose how I think based off what is most logical in my opinion. But it is not my place to judge others or their decisions, and if being gay makes some people happy then let them be happy and exercise their free will. But when they want to participate in a religious ceremony by force I disagree. No hate though just my thoughts:smoke:

2. #42 Candle Wolf, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011
    Because only Christians get married, right? You've never met an atheist who is married?

Explain how?

Wrong

lolwut?

Google 'earth overpopulation'. Or at least tell my reproducing is a good thing? Also your argument is called a 'naturalistic fallacy'.

3. False. Words cannot express...

How stupid those two statements were. Wrong on such basic levels of what gay maraige is about.

In your opinion, perhaps, but again it wouldn't be through the church mosque or anything unless they wanted to allow it.

Evidence of this? There are gay animals.

False. ""The Government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion." - John Adams Our Founding Fathers on Christianity

Perhaps, but not every straight married couple has kid, so your argument is invalid.

Not all coupled animals chose to reproduce, and again, gay animals don't.

They don't, so you have nothing to disagree with.

The ignorance in this post was mindblowing.

4. Morals do not equal laws. The world would be a better place if people could get this through their head.

5. #45 Olesmoky, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
    I'm against gay marriage. In fact I'm against all marriage. I should say... The concept of marriage is fine, for other people, but the fact that it's so entangled in our societies laws frustrates me.

6. You can never say that too many times.

7. #47 Jazzyj, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    :facepalm:

Marriage is sanctioned by the government. If you get "married" in a church, it doesn't really make a difference until you sign the papers supplied by the state you are getting married in. Priests wouldn't be "forced" to perform gay marriages. You do not need a priest to get married.

Also, the founding fathers were mainly secularists. The line "under god" wasn't added to the pledge until 1954.

8. #48 xBrent, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2011
    Alright, so first off I'd like to state that I'm simply indifferent on this issue, I really couldn't care either way as it's their choice and it's not really a concern of mine.

As for a logical view on the anti-gay marriage.

"When a state recognizes a marriage, it bestows upon the couple certain benefits which are costly to both the state and other individuals. Collecting a deceased spouse's social security, claiming an extra tax exemption for a spouse, and having the right to be covered under a spouse's health insurance policy are just a few examples of the costly benefits associated with marriage. In a sense, a married couple receives a subsidy. Why? Because a marriage between to unrelated heterosexuals is likely to result in a family with children, and propagation of society is a compelling state interest. For this reason, states have, in varying degrees, restricted from marriage couples unlikely to produce children."

NOW, I'm aware that population increase isn't exactly a good thing at the moment, but this explanation does make some sense.

9. congratulations...one of the (very) few rational christians that i have ever come across...hate you guys....makes me question the morality of my abject atheism....( :D )

jk there's no "hope" for me

10. In that case don't let old people get married, or people who are sterile. etc.

11. I see your point.

That was just the only somewhat reasonable argument I could find. I don't necessarily agree with it. The basis behind it I believe is that they don't think that taxpayers should pay for something that is generally considered unacceptable by a large portion of the government, and the United States public.

12. you are exactly right... which is why the gubbermint should get the hell outta the marriage business. it is not the place of the gub to either approve nor condemn any mutually voluntary relationship (no matter what "they" want to call it) between consenting adults!!!!

13. God and Jesus say nothing about gay marriage in the bible, again speaking for God would seem to constitute blasphemy. No-one said anything about forcing priests to allow and conduct marriage sin their churches (though while they are receiving tax exemption I do think they should have no choice in the matter). marriage predates religion and is a list of benefits given by the government, religious people need to get over themselves.

The terms ‘natural' and ‘unnatural'. I could talk of futility of defining concepts (especially apparent in regards to the fact that nature does not) but this one seems to be greatly misled. Let's take some concepts and see whether or not they are natural. Flying. Flying in an aeroplane, unnatural? In the commonly used version of the word yes but in actuality no. Let's see why, can man fly unassisted? No he cannot. But the fact remains that we have taken what we were given and gained the ability to fly. No supernatural means have been employed so the ability to fly must be natural, given the correct tools.
    I'll take an issue closer to home now, homosexuality. Genetics and behaviour aside let's say for a minute that i'm wrong and it is not observed in the animal kingdom, that the human body was not designed to function in this manner and that it is physically harmful. It is still physically possible. I can do it, so how then can it be unnatural? Is the word unnatural a sleight of hand used to trick those not paying attention? Define unnatural and you'll see it's a concept that literally cannot exist.
    Now let's take something a little harder to swallow (bear with me on this one).

Rape, murder and genocide. Unnatural? By the fact that we have now defined unnatural as impossible then no it is not. Indeed it is physically possible and cannot then be unnatural. The concept of ‘unnatural' seem to be tied to a person's moral compass, that's where the house of cards starts to fall. Self validation. “I don't agree with it - it is wrong - it is unnatural”.

What most people mean when they say something is ‘unnatural' is that is is not naturalist. A viewpoint not worth paying much attention to because neither is curing cancer, no-one makes as much noise about curing cancer being unnatural. The important question to ask here is why? Curing cancer is unnatualist just like rape and murder, and yet is seen as a good thing rather than a bad thing

Overpopulation. How many times does this have to be brought up?

Logic doesn't fluctuate with opinion, it's either logical or it isn't. Your argument isn't.

14. most ridiculous explanation for why there's gay people ever...

15. Marriage is defined as being between a man and a woman.

If its okay to change that, then why is not okay to change the terms of consent? Who are we to say that a man and a dog cannot love eachother?

You see, many people believe marriage is between a man and a woman for a reason. Its about raising a child together and expanding the family. It has nothing to do with hate. People who say its because of hate are closed-minded.

16. #56 gedio, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
    If you're going to try and make a post like that it would likely help if you read the post I was replying to. I was responding to "gays can't reproduce and fulfil their purpose" or some other well thought out argument, not how the phenomena originated.

The defintion of marriage (for anyone confused). If you have beef take it up with meriam-webster:

mar·riage
    noun \ˈmer-ij, ˈma-rij\
    Definition of MARRIAGE
    a (1) : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a consensual and contractual relationship recognized by law (2) : the state of being united to a person of the same sex in a relationship like that of a traditional marriage <same-sex marriage> b : the mutual relation of married persons : wedlock c : the institution whereby individuals are joined in a marriage
    : an act of marrying or the rite by which the married status is effected; especially : the wedding ceremony and attendant festivities or formalities
    : an intimate or close union <the marriage of painting and poetry — J. T. Shawcross>
    See marriage defined for English-language learners »
    See marriage defined for kids »

17. I'm fully in favour of gay marriage, polygamous marriage, even insestuous marriage so long as it doesn't utterly destroy the lives of the parents/produce inbred children... any kind of marriage so long as it's between humans who are adults and fully consent to the arrangement. However, for the sake of providing a bit of debate I'd like to present one reason to disallow gay marriage.

Society is a thing that we all share, that we all exist within and interact with daily - when we go out in public, we see society and the people who share it with us. Since society is comprised of individuals, it is logical to say that we, as individuals, should be able to determine the type and nature of society we want to live in and interact with; society is 'by the people, for the people'. We, ideally anyway, determine what kind of society 'works for us', and we do this through deciding what kind of economic system 'works for us', what laws we think are just... and similarly, create (through what mechanisms, I know not) societal taboos and behaviours that we frown upon as not being something that 'works for us' in being exposed to these taboos and behavious that 'we' simply don't want to see when we interact with our society.

You can see where this is going, but I'll make my point with an example that I think we'll all think is fairly reasonable. Smacking naughty children in public is something that is a decision made by a private individual over a child that they and they alone have responsibility and custodianship over (except, of course, as the law applies to the child and the rights of the child)... smacking children in public is thus a behaviour that effects nobody other than the parent/child, as well as those people who might happen to see this behaviour and disapprove of it. Now, I'm going out on a limb here but I'll assert that most of us don't like to see children being smacked... let the parent discipline their children as they see fit behind closed doors, but it's just not the sort of thing that most of us like to see, we prefer greatly not to see it. You could even argue the same thing for a shirt - 'most of us' hate the colour fluro-pink, and thus would greatly prefer not to see it. The only real difference is that a child is involved in the first example, but the same principle applies - these are things that directly effect nobody besides the individual who has made the decision to smack their kid in public/wear a fluro-pink shirt, but are things that effect potentially the entirity of society in regards to the people who should happen to see/be exposed to these behaviours.

So, the argument is this; suppose that 'we' don't like to see gay couples kissing in public (whereas 'we' have no problem seeing a man and woman kiss in public), and that 'we' don't like to have to recognise Mr and Mr Smith when they come to dine as a couple in a romantic restaurant. If this figure was a high proportion of the population, say 90%, do 'we' have a legitimate right to tell people that they can't do things that offend 'us' even though they have no greater impact or effect on us besides that we are exposed to and might even perhaps see such behaviours in public, on TV, in the newspapers etc etc etc. Do 'we', as the people who have a legitimate right to determine the environment that 'we' live in, have the right to extend this to stopping other people from doing things that we simply find unpleasant or offensive?

If you think this is so ridiculous, think of the recent burqa bans and tell me that it's not the exact same thing as what I've just talked about - people who don't like 'seeing women dressed like ghosts', or 'don't like living in a society that tolerates the subjugation of women', even though the women themselves made a conscious decision to wear the burqa. There's no difference to my mind, none at all, so if you can justify banning the burqa on these grounds, can you not apply the same essential justification to gay marriage? For the record, I fully support the right of Muslim women (and anyone else!) to wear the burqa (or anything else!) and think it's none of our bloody business if they do or not. Anyhow, that's enough off-topic anecdotes... has my argument got a leg to stand on fellas, yay or nay? :D

18. He's been using that explanation for quite some time now. I dont think he understands just how ridiculous it is. As if there would be no gays if the world wasnt over-populated.

19. I'd have to say no. What that leads to is the rule of the 'moral majority' which (in every situation) can go fuck themselves, we can't legislate stuff like this based on the opinion of the general public (especially when they keep proving themselves to be fools).. If they really don't want to recognize us as couples then it'd be far easier for them to stop thinking and bitching about it.

I agree on this, banning burqas is another pointless move to satisfy the (foolish) general public and won't do anything other than chip away another bit of liberty.

Again, that's not what I was saying but cool straw man, the other guy made a pretty obvious straw man too. But to claim that a rise in relationships between people unable to reproduce would not help with overpopulation is just stupid. That's really all there is to say on the matter.

20. A rise in murder would also help with over-population.

You seemed to imply that nature purposely creates gays to balance out the population.