Anti-Gay Marriage thread, not a bash thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by windchime159, Aug 13, 2011.

1. What people who oppose gay marriage fail to understand is that history will see them the same way it now sees the KKK. If Christians don't want them to call it marriage, then they should also forfeit their state-given rights. I'm a straight man who is married. I want gay people to enjoy the same social status as me.

2. #22 Noxnoctum, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2011
    I think it's wrong but I'm pro-gay marriage... if that makes any sense :p.

None of my business what 2 other people do it's not hurting me or anyone else and for me to look down my nose at others would be pretty... stupid?

I'm a Christian but I don't see anywhere in scripture that backs up legislating morality. If anything everything points to NOT doing that.

If Christians who want to outlaw gay marriage want to be consistent, they need to be in favor of outlawing (i.e. impose real penalties like prison time or fines etc.) infidelity and divorce too, two marriage related things that happen pretty much just as often in Christian marriages as non-Christian ones.

3. not stupid at all. Some people express acceptance, but we should all express tolerance at least. And I think you do that by your post. Looking past ones personal feelings in the interest of others is also a good thing.

4. Maybe a better word would be hypocritical, not because I have "gay tendencies" (I really don't I swear :p) but because I do plenty of stuff that is wrong too, but unlike gay marriage, most of the things I do tend to affect others as well :S.

I know most on here would probably disagree with me on the it being wrong thing but hey the OP asked so...

5. i support marraige. gay, straight, bisexual tri-person marrages. idgaf what people do with their personal life if it doesnt infringe on my life

6. Its your opinon but whats it based on? How are you affected by two gay people getting married?
    If you're straight you can still get married if anyone will have you. :p

7. Hmm... Anyone else find this statement ironic?

8. #28 Tdaly123, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    What society are you living in?

9. Anything that doesn't infringe upon the liberty of others should be allowed, including gay marriage.

I really don't understand why this is such a difficult concept.

10. Even if you think gay marriage is a sin, what is the point of legislating against it? If anything this is worse, since the undesirable behavior is still there, except now its hidden and internal.

Not everything morally wrong should be illegal.

11. who should have the fucking right to stop someone ffrom love. thats my say in it.

12. Catholics were frowned upon too not too long ago. Should we still burn them? The opinion of the majority bares little weight when the majority are borderline retarded.

The institution of marriage predates religion and is a list of set government benefits, religion has nothing to do with marriage other than a deluded and incorrect sense of ownership. That said the bible doesn't specifically say anything about same sex marriage, to speak on behalf of god seems like pretty bad blasphemy to me.

Honestly, i'm not a fan of retro-actively changing the partnership of everyone to civil partnerships and then destroying the institution of marriage entirely. If they can't share it...

13. And what's morally wrong with being gay... Nothing... People are BORN gay (like it or not)...some may not like their way of life, but that could go for anyone, anywhere. And as for the sanctity of marriage... It's just a bullshit fairytale....So, NO... No rational person can come up with your reasons for you.. There are none.. EQUAL RIGHTS FOR ALL.

14. I say give the civil union the same legal rights, privileges, and responsibilities as marriage.
    that way everyone wins but gets to keep some dignity.
    of course, I also say to allow civil unions to include as many informed, consenting adults into the contract as want to join--I've got poly friends.

15. Ya why is polygamy such a big deal?

Tbh I think gay sex is weirder than polygamy. No offense.

16. It'd kinda tied in with child wives a lot of times I think that's the main thing... at least that's the case for FLDS and a lot of the Muslim world.

17. Why should my morals be pushed onto other people?

18. ^pretty much
    How many times have I said that you can't legislate morality?

19. I love how the people against gay marriage only say "it's just my opinion". Well when you give your opinion you should probably, you know, give some reasons for it? Unless you're some devout religious guy I can't understand why you would be against it.

But that aside, what's everyones favourite anti-gay marriage argument?

Mine is 'it will destroy the sanctity of marriage'. The divorce rate is around 40% in America and you can marry your cousin. Very sacred amirite.

20. well, yeah, if we held anything sacred these days. Unfortunately, very little today is sacred.

the divorce rate would be a heck of a lot lower if people didn't:
    get married purely for economic reasons
    get married to young/too early (before they had a fucking clue about either life or their partner)
    decide to stick out the tough times instead of making like rats in a sinking ship
    decide that since the partner is on deployment they can make like a widow/widower
    think that "to cleave unto none other" is an optional phrase.

But then again today people don't believe in keeping their given word

you know those old couples that bicker all the time? they've been together so long they can have fun bickering.
    if one of them passes the other is shell-shocked and generally does not last five years.
    that's commitment, people. our modern era of instant gratification has a lot to do with the divorce rate.

My parent's generation, the 60's flower children, or the Boomers if you like, injected a streak of selfishness a light-year wide into our society and many of our problems can be traced back to it.
    but that's okay. before them, when people aged their kids would take care of them. when the Boomers hit 80-90 their kids will still be so self-absorbed they will be SOL. Karma, gotta love it.