Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Anti-depressants and cannabis

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Rugged, Feb 27, 2011.

1. I went through Generalized Anxiety Disorder last summer, and I've been on Ladose since then. I take one per day, and my question is... Will I encounter any problems if I smoke? I've been blazing actually, for 4 months.. But I wanna know.. Is it bad to do it, since I'm on an anti-depressant?

Btw, my life is okay now, and the excessive anxiety has gone away.. I'm probably going to stop taking ladose soon.

2. I see my thread is going down the drain really fast, lol

Cmon guys, help me out a bit.

3. What anti depressant are you on? Generally it's a horrible idea to smoke cannabis while on these sorts of meds.

4. if youve been doing it fine for 4 months why the sudden questioning? if you havent noticed any sort of side effects id say continue

5. i hope you can sort your shit out mate

your question is kind of unanswerable - most weed smokers would say go ahead - most doctors would probably call for you to be hanged

though it does sound like your kind of paranoid if you worry about it 4 months later hehe

6. I'm on Ladose. Like I've said, my life is FINE now. I've fixed all relationships... With my friends, family, everyone. I take it because my psychiatrist has told me to do so.

7. I'm just curious... You can't notice every effect in the very first months..

8. I don't worry about it, I'm just asking! If I should stop smoking weed, I would do it. I'm seeking for someone who's been in that kinda situation before..

9. Everyone's different... Mixing cannabis and anti-depressants may be bad for one person but then great for another.

I've been taking Zoloft and and smoking consistently for the past few months. For me, this combination really seems to help with my depression and anxiety.

10. You're not going to find the answer you seek. Just do what is right for you.

Also, there's a similar thread in the health and fitness forum.

11. i used to be on anti depressants two years ago and i was smoking weed less then. i talked to my psychiatrist about weed and my medication. she said that marijuana is itself is prescribed as anti depressant some places. also that it interfered with my medication making it less effective.

12. i have been on Lustral (Called zoloft in the US) and smoking not as much weed (about 3 times a week rather then everyday) and I must say i don't really feel as bad as I used to. I do not think my cannabis use has much effect on my meds.

If you are taking MAOI antidepressants with cannabis its a very bad idea.

If you are taking SSRIs, its ok (ish)

13. Well, it's kinda twisted for me. If I smoke too much, I feel sad when I suddenly stop. If I only do it on weekends, like I usually do, I enjoy it.

The point is, what could cannabis and this particular anti-depressant (Ladose) possibly cause to my organism, If they were mixed for a long time?

So it's not harmful to any type of situation we're talking about here, if used wisely. Right?

Sure, no one's going to help me 100%, because every person is different, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

I'm gon check that thread right away.

14. Ladose = fluoxetine, therefore SSRI

15. You're asking a forum of very young stoners to answer a serious medical question that scientists with years in the field of pharmacology have not found a conclusive answer to yet. Personally, I've done many drugs in myriad combinations and all I can tell you definitively is to stay far away from psychedelics. And I personally had no issues mixing cannabis with ssris or anti-anxiety medication when I took them in the past.

16. Well... Even if I was the MOST mentally normal person in the world, and just wanted to experiment, I still would NEVER try any of those fucked-up chemical bullshit they got out in the streets. Weed is from the earth. God put this here for me and everyone else. It's not some made-up shit that's supposed to hypnotize a whooole generation.

17. as far as your cannabis use goes i find an effective and cheap way of keeping your smoking happy is use it only on nights, if you use it all day then you wont find a time when your sober without feeling like a spliff, get used to going without and working hard in the day then unwind with a spliff at night,

i dont let myself smoke before 8pm,

18. That is exactly the way of how I love smoking weed. Being stoned around tons of people, either that's school or somewhere else in the city, is too much for me. I don't feel good walking around when I'm totally blazed. I just wait for everyone to go to sleep, and then blaze my shit. Sometimes alone, sometimes with 1-2 friends.. Watch a movie after that, talk to them hot chicks on facebook, and go to sleep.

19. This is something I constantly worry about. Like above said, it kinda depends on the person and the anti-depressant. I've been smoking on them for three years and not had too many problems, but sometimes it does fuck with the effectiveness of the meds I've noticed. Sometimes makes me feel .. weird.

I take mine for anxiety disorder too. It isn't that bad really.. I wouldn't worry. Getting off of the meds is gonna be the difficult part. I tried SO many times to get off my meds, it was hell.. So I wish you the best of luck and DEFINITELY wean off that shit slooowly.

As long as you're not on any atypical anti-psychotics (meds for bi-polar, etc.) you should be fine.

Im not a doctor though, so by all means do NOT take my advice as such. This is just from my experience.

20. I have been on Zoloft, Abilify, and Trazadone since a suicide attempt two July's ago. I smoked occasionally, but not often at all prior to about two months ago. Historically, the winter has always been a hard time for me, but since I have started smoking, I find it has been a really good addition to my current meds. My psychiatrist flipped a shit of course. (I don't lie to my Drs... what's the point, it only hurts me). But I think it really helps.

That being said, moderation is very key for me. If I start smoking every day/ multiple times a day, it becomes less effective and I think actually makes me feel worse. But if I use it in moderation, and do it as something I enjoy and think is fun, I think it really tends to help my overall mood and demeanor.

All of that said, I don't think it's the marijuana itself that makes me feel better. I don't think it's some sort of chemical reaction. I think my mood is better when I smoke responsibly because it is something I enjoy doing, it brings me closer to my friends, and is just an overall good time, rather than an actual chemical reaction decreasing my depression. It does help me sleep too though, which I had huge problems with in the past