Another "Why is alcohol legal and cannabis not?"

Discussion in 'General' started by wnysmoker, May 3, 2009.

1. Source: The Buffalo News
    Councilman arrested in tavern flap with police : Police Blotter : The Buffalo News
    05/03/09 06:50 AM
    Councilman arrested in tavern flap with police

By Mike Kurilovitch NIAGARA CORRESPONDENT

NIAGARA FALLS-A city councilman was charged with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest following a run-in with police early Saturday in a Ferry Avenue bar.
    Steven D. Fournier Jr., 36, of 21st Street, was arrested just before 3 a. m. following an incident in Bragg's Tavern, police said.
    Police, who initially went to the bar looking for others in connection with an unrelated incident, said they were confronted by Fournier, who was highly intoxicated and accused police of ignoring his accusations that he has been harassed by another man.
    During their confrontation, police said, Fournier hurled obscenities and made a racist comment. Though repeatedly warned to quiet down or face arrest, he persisted, police added.
    When Fournier “lunged” at Officer Scott Warme and grabbed his throat, he was subdued and taken into custody, police said.
    Police said that while being taken to Police Headquarters to be processed on the charges, Fournier - who warned police of repercussions if he was arrested - demanded an audience with either Niagara Falls Police Superintendent John Chella or Mayor Paul Dyster.
    Fournier, a Democrat who operates the Orchard Grill restaurant on Main Street, late Saturday offered a different version of his arrest.
    “I had just got there [at Bragg's],” he said. “I went to say good night to my friend Paulie [Morreale], the owner. As I walked in, there was a fight rolling out. A black guy pushed me, I pushed him back, and the next thing I know I'm getting grabbed from behind.”
    “I turned around and realized it was a cop [and] the next thing I know, I'm getting locked up.”
    Fournier didn't deny he had been drinking.
    “I'd had five or six drinks over a couple hours, but I wasn't driving,” said Fournier, who denied he had resisted arrest or made a racist remark.
    “I've got so many black friends - it's crazy,” he said.
    “I didn't hit anyone, I didn't hurt anyone,” he said. “I was a little [angry]” about the handcuffs being very tight. “You should see my wrists - I have knots all over,” he said.
    “It was a classic case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time,” he added.
    ““Hey - I'm a businessman, a councilman; I coach youth hockey. I'm pretty damn well respected.
    “If I wasn't a councilman, none of this would have meant anything to anyone,” he said. “But I called my lawyer and I will go through it, just like anyone else.”
    Chella said late Saturday that he was unfamiliar with details of the case, but that the department “stood by the report” filed by Warme. He added that on Monday morning he would discuss the case with the captain on duty at the time.
    Meanwhile, Niagara Falls City Council Chairman Chris Robins said the Council also planned to discuss the incident.
    “I'm sure it will have to come up - it's a legal issue,” he said. ““I just don't know how much we can go into in a public session.”