Another US warship collides with tanker...hacking??

Discussion in 'Politics' started by jman42028, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Intranet is usually well protected against any open networks. I know enough to say that older hardware will run some BSD variant of OS and many attacks that can spread through a downloaded movie is going to have zero effect on the systems. A hack would need to be written in assembly (language), and that's just not that likely to be spread through the typical attack.
    Not to mention hardware firewalls are very hard to bypass using standard hacking tools. Like reverse engineering the pyramids. Possible, but who is going to bother and would not be a "weekend" project. Also to suggest that downloading music or movies can interfere with navigation system is extremely unlikely. (Unless everything is running on Windows 3.1)
    The only open points of attack could be satilite phones, GPS or sonar (?). That would require slightly more sophisticated hacking than getting a hold of some sailor's laptop.

Anyways, it can be done. Anything can be done. But it wouldn't be as easy as proposed in the article.

2. I can't believe your arguing about this with someone who literally was on a ship and worked on the systems.

The point is, obviously no one has come to a conclusion about anything. I never said this is why it happened, however I just argued against the instant dismissal that something like that could happen. Which, it obviously can. We have a thread on here about some kind of sub sonic sound wave system that could be deployed in cuba and has effected many of our statesman there. Its all possible now, especially since the entire world is connected via the internet.

And of course the tech is outdated on the warships. It is in almost all our fleet, in our tanks, in our guns, ect. Hence why we are rebuilding the military right now.

Think of it like this, the navy can't pull a ship up to a best buy and get a new computer installed every year. For many, hopefully obvious reasons. These computer systems rarely get overhauled, because of restrictive cost, then of course all the sensitive information that would be divulged. The guy just said even talking about the computers are classified. Theres a reason for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I can't disagree with most information in this post. However, consider this. As hard as it may be to be done, it is possible. There are countries that would be willing to spend top dollar to have this kind of effect on the US Navy (which would put it out of the weekend project zone). Perhaps another country has been working on these hacking protocols secretly. For all we know this could have just been someone testing thier tech.

Getting ready to sell to the highest bidder... Maybe. Please membah, we are speculators with not much solid facts at this point though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4. Hacking no karma yes. Just kidding. Hope they find those still missing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. What are you on about again?
    We didn't even disagree, I just added to the info he'd provided. Let people talk for themselves.

Not sure why I bother with you, but here are some thoughts for you.

- Tanker rammed the warship. So who was hacked?
    - Based on the information in this article the hack was done via a virus that was downloaded with some movies. Which is absurd.

As I said, there's a possibility of a hack, but it would not be done in the way it's proposed by the "experts" in the article. Which, imo, really discredits the whole thing.

• Like Like x 2
  6. there is nothing absurd about it. downloading a "virus" isn't the same as it is for us civilians. Anything that would target something like that would essentially just open a back door or a vulnerability in the system. To suggest or just completely write it off seems rather silly to me. Especially how little we know about what china is really doing in that area, not ot mention the actual computer capabilities of north korea or anyone else.
    Again, I never said it was gospel, just providing a possibility. Neither of us have enough info to come to a truly educating opinion on it, so why dismiss anything?
    That was my point, thats what I was on about.

7. found a fall guy to get the heads started rolling....
    US Navy dismisses 7th Fleet commander after deadly mishaps

n June, seven sailors died when the USS Fitzgerald and a container ship collided in waters off Japan.

In January, the USS Antietam guided missile cruiser ran aground near Yokosuka base, the home port of the 7th Fleet, and in May another cruiser, the USS Lake Champlain from the Navy's 3rd Fleet, had a minor collision with a South Korean fishing boat.

U.S. Pacific Fleet Commander Adm. Scott Swift told a news conference Tuesday that each of the incidents was "unique," but added that "they cannot be viewed in isolation."

Swift added the Navy would conduct an investigation "to find out if there is a common cause ... and if so, how do we solve that."

8. Fairly certain laughing isn't the response they're having.

• Agree Agree x 1