Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Good day, my Psychadelic Sensei, thank you first off for all of the helpful information. Yes I have 190 proof! Woohoo! I have redone my calculations estimating a THC % of 15-20, and my Q is actually heavy :) turns out to be 8 grams! My calculations bring my 2 oz tinc from 8g too 20 -27 mg/ml depending on the THC %. This way a full 1ml dose can put me in the 20-27 range and a half dose can put me in the 10-13.5 range; (600-800 mgTHC per oz of Tinc) i think this will be a good place for me to start.
    A couple more questions if you dont mind :D, I will number them just to keep it short, concise and organized :D

1) Should I re-freeze my plant matter before the second wash? or go right for the rinse?
    2) Are my calculations totally wack?
    3) Can you/Have you infuse flavorings into the tincture using vanilla beans / citrus peels / candy flavoring / peppermint oil etc
    4) Can you/Have you infused other medicinal herbs into your tinctures EX: adding Tumeric for a tincture specified toward joint pain and inflammation
    -I'm a medical professional ~to be~ so the whole idea of homeopathic and natural healing really interests me, if there is a way to infuse cannabis and other targeted medicinal plants into a tincture I think that would be pretty rad.
    5) How much THC/CBD is in the other parts of the plant comparative too the buds? I see you use it for tincture, does it make a less intense batch at a cheaper price? am i wasting my money using buds and not looking for resin chips / trim ETC?
    6) What state are you from? This is a personal question sparked by my curiosity. Of course I understand if and why you wouldn't want to share. Just food for thought.
    Thanks again for your help and patience. Much respect to the tincture guru.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I think that's a good range, too. It should work for you.

1) No need for the freezer after the first run except to keep the alcohol cold. Once you've strained it just give it the rinse. I used to do it but tests have shown no benefit and a lot more green. The alcohol has already stripped the trichomes.
    2) Nope, they look good to me.
    3) I have used flavoring in the GD but that was early on, just checking it out. Some here do it. You just want to be sure to use something compatible with alcohol.
    4) I have and still occasionally do. A lot of people use black pepper. I have used plantain leaf for GD and it could be done with just about any herb that you want just like homeopathy. Some things you would be able to add directly to your finished GD, like black pepper essential oil or others.Those are easy but I'd infuse actual herbs separately since they often need to soak for a while and you don't want that process for cannabis. Also, some herbs can be sensitive to heat so I would blend your herb and GD into the desired ratio after each was completed instead of reducing it together. A lot of dispensaries offer blended tinctures that have "new age" names. Go for it.
    5) I used trim for GD because that's all I had and I had a lot of it and it was fairly decent and good to use for my experiments. I prefer flower but that's not always an option and you have to make do. Fortunately, with GD you can concentrate it easily enough to make it good. Sugar trim is pretty close to the same numbers as the flowers and I've had some test at 18% from 21% flower. From there the numbers start dipping with the mature leaf trim ranging from 12% down to 5%. I used this stuff mainly for edibles and topicals since it took more of it. Also, things like resin chips are going to be in the low range and sedative. It has it's uses but base it on how you're going to use it, like avb. I recommend using flowers for your premium tinctures.
    6) I live in Arizona. We're a medically legal state with dispensaries. I hate dispensaries. And I hate being forced to use them but I guess it's better than what we had before....I guess. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hey Sam quick question. About to Decab but my oven only goes to 225 or 250, not to 240. How much time should I decarb at either of those temps?

4. So you forgot a key piece of equipment, the oven thermometer. Can't you put it in the middle? Better safe than sorry so if it's either/or then do the 225°F for the 40 minutes. You're better off than taking a chance your oven runs hot and might get too toasty, Cap'n, at the 250° setting. :huh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I was able to interrupt my sisters cooking in order to do mine. How generous. The actual oven compared to the convection toaster oven meets 240. I just did my decarb at 240 for 40 minutes. My whole house has a subtle dank aroma that I love and now I'm waiting on the freeze. Is more than 24 hours of freeze okay? Like 32 because I don't want to be up late? I think it would be fine but every variable counts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Also managed to get my hands on an oven thermometer. I ripped it off a turkey fryer I had out in the garage ;)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Now that it's decarbed you can leave it in the freezer as long as it takes for you to get around to it as long as it's at least 24 hours. I've left some in for a month with no issues. :blink:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Just decarbed 3 days ago. Did 250 for 55 minutes but in a small aluminium baking dish to avoid direct contact but keep an even decarb.

In terms of the alcohol breakdown is longer better?

"I'm Livin For Givin the Devil His Due"

9. What do you mean by "the alcohol breakdown"? :huh:

• Like Like x 1
  10. I mean I added the 151 and threw it in the freezer.

11. Only a couple of hours then strain it. :mellow:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Strain it? I don't recall this step from the video..

13. What are you talking about, Azz? Of course you strain it. You decarb it, add the alcohol, put in the freezer for 2 hours then strain it. Then rinse and strain again. It's all in the video. You haven't been straining? :huh:

• Like Like x 1
  14. No. I think my memory is fried PSam. I can't remember anything anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ok.

Rewatched the video. It's gonna come out quite green but nothing I can do about that....

I'm going to have to get my blood work done again. If I'm forgetting this much it's not a good sign.

• Like Like x 1
  16. That green will be gone probably once you reduce it to the gooey oil. :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. That's good. I wish I could do it tonight but it's too late. I'll do it tomorrow, I think I'll buy a shorter wide mouth mason jar too while I'm at it.

Does it matter that I have no idea how much bud I used? I didn't have a scale or time to borrow one. Been hectic.

I don't mind if it's quite concentrated, I would rather dose by drop anyway. Just worried about saturation point.

• Like Like x 1
  18. As long as you had the material covered by alcohol you should be okay. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Making a tester batch of blueberry jam today to see how long the recipe takes before I infuse any. Sent out some tester messages to my patients to see if they might be interested and 3 have already responded positively. I keep this up, and I'll need to expand my grow again. LOL. Of course, I am still well below my allowed limit, but I am a firm believer in staying under the limit.

The recipe I am testing is extremely simple, which is what I would prefer, but I definitely want to make sure it works before I go adding any tincture to it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yes sir.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1