Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. It looks like it's already starting to flower. That had me confused at first but knowing it's an auto clears that up. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yes Sir
    I say half way done a few more weeks
    Smells great but small plant

• Like Like x 2
  3. Green Dragon run times.

I've read suggestions of anywhere from 60 seconds, 20 minutes, up to 60 minutes for maximum extraction. Quicker, cleaner (multiple) runs for a cleaner result when using for more "delicate" edibles. A longer, "dirtier" run for capsules where impurities don't matter. Where does tincture fit in? Two situations:

1) A straight up, decarbed kief GD extraction/tincture for my head - recreational. Having a nice flavor is a plus.

2) Non-decarbed kief, THCA GD extraction > solvent x-fer into MCT oil for a medicinal tincture for patients not looking to get high, most with little to no experience with cannabis. (see 'BadKat's Medical Grade Carboxyl-Intact Cold Oil & Tincture' article)

Both will be using local, sugar based moonshine to make the GD.

For the second I'm not focused so much on the taste/flavor - a mild medicinal taste might even be beneficial. As long as it's palatable for patients. More interested in consistency re: strength, so the middle/long end of that time frame seems to make more sense. The initial goal is that each 30ml bottle of tincture contains the goodness of 2g of kief and so that, more or less, half a dropper will be effective for about half a day. The 2g per 30ml is a starting figure subject to change based on effectiveness. Thinking that several quick runs would screw around with consistency and without lab tests I wouldn't know what percentage of that 2g/30 made it into the tincture. Combing multiple runs = one longer run. No point.

Pretty sure I came across info detailing extraction efficiency related to length of alcohol soak, but can't remember the details of what percentage is extracted in the first 60 seconds, etc..

How 'bout maximizing the extraction rate for the GD and then mildly flavoring the (MCT oil) tincture to mask any tastes resultant from a dirtier soak?

4. Greetings Sam,
    Thank you for putting all this information out there, this is truly an awesome resource.
    I have a question for you or anyone else who would care to help. Ive got a plant of acdc that I'd like to turn to gd for cbd capsules. I read back on page three hundred something that you found cbd was cooked out of the weed when decarboxilated in your lab test. Does that still stand true? My question is, would you suggest me skipping the decarb if I wanted to make a CBd rich tincture? If this question has already been answered somewhere, just point me in the right direction. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Welcome, Big Swifty, and thanks for joining our conversation.

The length of time for maximum extraction is going to be different for the different mediums. Using kief is going to streamline that quite a bit since you won't have all the plant matter to get in the way and all of your items are going to be much cleaner because of it, even the "dirtier" ones.

Alcohol will extract the cannabinoids from plant material within seconds although the standard that Skunk Pharms uses is 3 minutes, I think. There are some cannabinoids left that can be gathered on another run but that has a tendency to be a more sedative effect. The trichome heads with the prime load were stripped on the first run. Someone just interested in recreational effects may want to keep the runs separate but I like to combine both my runs so that I get more of the plant compounds. If you were making a QWET concentrate, the first would be the best for dabs. I soak my GD for a couple of hours in order to get some of the polar compounds into it, also. There's a whole range of options with alcohol.

I'd be a little careful with the inactive oil since you're wanting to preserve the acid, THCA. Heat could play a factor during extraction or a transfer. I've done a lot of lab tests on the alcohol tinctures but I haven't done as much with oils or heat. Alcohol won't hold the acid long before it starts discharging the carboxyl groups and it will activate. The oils would preserve those better. My lab tests have shown that both alcohol and oil extract 100% of the cannabinoids from kief but only about 80% at best from the plant material.

You don't really even need to remove the kief. It's not going to impact the flavor like the plant material would have. You don't have to use multiple runs with either the alcohol or oil for kief and you can make your tincture as concentrated as you want without having to worry about evaporation or dilution. 2g/oz of oil should be good but you can always use more.

Do you know the proof of the moonshine you're going to use? I have a quick video for a kief GD to show you how easy it can be. No altitude issues. :)

Kief Run 190/151 Proof w/Video Post 569

• Like Like x 2
  6. Howdy, Sirtootsalot, and thanks for joining in.

That was one of the first tests I did and like most normal cannabis, it didn't really have enough CBDA to give it a good reading. It was there, though, that I first started to see how CBDA is different than THCA when decarbing although I wasn't sure why or how. Now we know that while THCA>THC is pretty straightforward, CBDA >CBD, CBC, CBG and even THC in the right conditions. Because it's so little of the total cannabinoids, often less than 1%, it not easily detected in a lab sample. That's what I was seeing at that time.

Since then I have run tests on ACDC and Ringo's Gift and a couple of 1:1 strains to see how the decarb really worked and if the temps were similar. I've done heated decarb and natural decarb and the same times/temps seem to do the job for both CBD and THC. Here's a chart that I made for the Ringo's Gift heated decarb and you can see the raw data and that from 175°F & 240°F. Not much happened at 175° but the 240° for 40 minutes did the job really well. There's a little CBDA left but there usually is, too, with THCA>THC decarb. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

Here's the link. Definitely decarb.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it

• Like Like x 3
  7. So cool, that's fantastic. Looking forward to trying it out. I really appreciate the help and info.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks for the reply and info. A few things.

You mentioned not really needing to remove the kief since it's not going to impact the flavor like plant matter would. I'm a little confused. Are you talking about the GD extraction process and that it's okay to leave it and add it to the MCT oil during the solvent x-fer? Watched your linked video a while back and remember that you first carefully filtered the alcohol, leaving the kief at the bottom of the jar, and then added about 9-10 ml of Everclear, swished it around, and then dumped everything, including the kief, into the coffee filter. I'm assuming you trashed the spent kief in the coffee filter. Am I missing something, or could you expand on not really needing to remove the kief?

I could see doing a 30 minute run, collecting the spent kief from various batches, using some fresh alcohol to see what can be extracted from that, and then letting as much alcohol as possible evaporate off. For a goof, if only to see what's left in the kief.

My main goal, as far as what I'm posting now, is to keep the tincture as free of THC as possible so patients don't deal with psychoactive effects, and as alcohol free as possible so that the tincture can be used sublingual and by those who for whatever reason want to avoid alcohol - hence the cold solvent x-fer to MCT oil. I think I can be a little flexible if there's an unintentional slight decarb. I'm working with equatorial sativas which I think will make any effects easier to deal with and adjust to than a heavy couch lock indica would for inexperienced users.

As far as the moonshine I believe it's 190 proof. You've got me wondering now. When I asked about it a couple of months ago I asked to confirm if it was 190 instead of just asking what proof it is. The culture here is such that people don't want to disappoint and so will tell you what you want to hear. Repair guy says it'll be ready by Friday, you say you need it by Weds, he'll tell you "sure, Weds." because he wants to make you happy. It'll be ready on Friday. Kind of like asking certain guys for directions. They'd rather give you half-assed directions than admit "I don't know." Fortunately the shine is cheap. Around $3.65 per liter.

Anyway, think I'll go back and rephrase the question to ask what proof it is instead of asking for confirmation. Hopefully it's 190, but it may be less. Let's assume it's less.

You've said 151 can't reduce so you have to use more (1.5 oz vs 1.0 oz) and/or use less kief, and that you don't want more than 1.5 oz total volume, "esp. if using 151." Also read where you said "151 doesn't like being evaporated." Can you expand a bit on this, esp. how it relates to me wanting to not only make a GD alcohol tincture (which could, but wouldn't necessarily need to be further concentrated) and GD for the purpose of using it for a no heat solvent x-fer into MCT oil for a no heat tincture? As far as the final MCT tincture, what am I going to be left with using a 151 x-fer that I wouldn't with 190? More water? How would this effect a separate project using the same solvent x-fer to MCT oil to make capsules?

Spent a few hours going through two of BrassNWood's threads. Noticed he started reclaiming his alcohol and distilling 151 to, if not 190, a more concentrated level. I don't have a hydrometer to test and am trying to keep the gear acquisition to a minimum at the moment even though I could see myself progressing into heat distillation at some point. I was thinking of freeze distillation/fractional freezing in the meantime as a possible way to bump up the alcohol concentration. The moonshine is sugar based so no worries about additional methanol. Pop the shine in the freezer set to the coldest temp, remove the separated water, and then time it so that I can do another couple of freezes at the same time I'm using dry ice for kief extraction. Two birds, one block of dry ice. Concentrates impurities as well, but if I'm x-fer>purging for the MCT oil tincture and/or using it for an alcohol tincture with an intended half-dropper full sized average dose, does it matter?

9. Always happy to help. Please be sure to let us know how things turned out or if you have other questions. :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. PSam sensei. My trim went mouldy with some white fuzzy crap. I instinctively filled the jar with 151 forgetting about the decarb because more often than not these days, I'm a dumbass. Now the trim was almost fully dry anyway but what do I do about the decarb? Should I strain it all out and throw it in the oven (my guess is definitely not) or should I try that natural decarb thing?

I have another jar of larf I'm still in the process of grinding which I'll do the usual and decarb then add 151 (It's bone dry buds) but what should I do about the trim jar?

If my memory weren't suffering so badly of late I wouldn't have fked up this badly.

Fuck auto immune.

"I'm Livin For Givin the Devil His Due"

11. #19851 PsychedelicSam, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    When I mentioned not removing the kief I wasn't quite aware of what you were intending to do. That changed with your posts to the BKS thread. Once I read those I had a better idea of the direction you were heading. I had the idea but not the full gist. It helps now that I've made the connection.

I did ask the correct question there at the end. Any time the evaporation of alcohol is involved with cannabis the conversation needs to be about the abv percentage, or proof. If you have something less than 85-90% then you will have issues with water and separation/layering. It definitely happens with 75%, 151 proof, at about 30% reduction but I'm not sure at what point it begins with a higher proof alcohol and when it makes a difference. 95% still has a little water in it but it isn't enough to confound things.

That's something that will affect a reduction or a solvent transfer to oil and what you learn will determine how you infuse your mct oil. I have done a solvent transfer with 151 into oil with the results somewhere in this thread with interesting results and it would definitely have an impact on trying to create an inactive oil.

Let me see if I can explain. One of the first things that you should do even if the tell you that it is 190 proof moonshine is to do a light extraction, maybe 7g or less, with some of it. It's an experiment but you need some cannabis in it to be able to see what's happening visually and not just intellectually. It's worth it. Decarb is up to you. Don't do a major production, unless you want to, maybe a single quick wash. Strain, filter then start your reduction. Since it's an experiment use a heated reduction. It's the same as a natural evaporation but faster, same visuals.

Watch your solution to see if it starts becoming cloudy and then some black specks start appearing and then black blobs. When it starts to become the least bit cloudy you'll know and if that never happens and you can take it all the way to the goo, you're in good shape. If it does happen then you have a couple of other things that you can do for your transfer.

You can still do your solvent transfer using the tincture even if it's already turned cloudy or blobby but it will take much longer because you'll have to evaporate off that extra water and oil and water don't mix. You have to get your oil hot enough, over 212°F, for the water to evaporate off the oil. When the oil gets that hot the water begins to sizzle and pop and sprays oil all around like water hitting hot bacon grease. It can sound like shots fired. It will eventually settle down with your transfer but it can get exciting. Of course, the solvent transfer goes freely and easily with 95%. That experiment can give you clarity.

The easiest thing to do if you don't have the high proof alcohol would be to evaporate the lower proof liquid down to the gooey oil and then just add that as your concentrate to your already prepared mct oil. You may need to use light heat and your sonic cleaner to get your bonding but 150°F or even less should be enough for that. You only need enough heat to get the oil to dissolve into your oil.

Now, having said all that, since you're using kief, you have a little more lattitude. You're not going to have a lot of alcohol that you would be working with but the water popping could be annoying. I think that you could possibly do a direct extraction to the mct oil from your kief using your ultrasound and very light heat like I mentioned about. That cleaner makes a lot of things easier. But of course, if you could do the freeze distillation then that would be the cat's meow. :sneaky:

Here's that old video. Sorry about the audio quality but you can see how it goes.

151 Tincture - Solvent Transfer to Coconut Oil Video Post 8432

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Natural decarb would work but would take a few months. Maybe you could reduce it to the gooey oil then add some coconut oil to it. You can then decarb the coconut oil in the oven in about 2.5 hours. :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Listen...... you're awesome man.

Thank you.

"I'm Livin For Givin the Devil His Due"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Temp & Time?
    220 degrees for 15 minutes and try again?! (THC exits at 215, eh?)

-------- My first tincture adventure...

My goal is good life flow (using canna to shrink anxiety & indecision)
    I was getting solid experience eating 1mg bits of FLAVrx candy belts every couple hours... trying to find out what strain FLAVrx uses in their sour belts (its good for me).

Now heading into processing my own edibles using some OG Kush...

Tincture #1
    Apprx. 50% decarb
    Ratio 4:1 Everclear : shake
    Room temp for 2-days
    20-drops nails my head hard (spacey)
    Couple drops/hour feels too weak

Next steps:
    > Amend my tincture at 220 degrees for 15 minutes and try again?! (THC exits at 215, eh?)
    > Fresh canni-coco oil - liver/fat processing can slow down up-take of THC
    > Find a nice pair with Kush OG that might mellow it out?
    > What might adding glycerine or oil to this tincture to thin it -- but that doesn't really seem like it will do much, eh?
    > Am also blending with some essential oils -- but this is all alchemic guesswork...

Thoughts, ideas? Anyone in FL want to swap some buds?

15. Greetings, jaguar_flock, and welcome to our conversation.

So it sounds like you didn't decarb long enough, eh? That should be done at 240°F for 40 minutes for optimal effects. It's going to be difficult at this point to decarb it further using conventional means plus you have the disadvantage of living in FL where they only have 151 Everclear unless you get it mail order. The 151 puts a damper on everything.

Take a look at this video to give you some background and then tell me your process starting with the decarb and we'll go from there. There's a few things that you can do and we'll discuss that as well as your other points above. :)

Detailed Reduction & Concentration Guide w/video for 151 Proof Green Dragon

• Like Like x 1
  16. Hello P-Sam, I've been reading page after page of your recipes and forums and I must say I'm blown away. I'm a long time smoker, but this is a first time tincture experience. I currently have been smoking multiple 1.5 gram blunts on a daily basis, of high quality weed for quite some time. I've been beginning to notice a build-up of mucus and ware on my lungs that I attribute to the harshness of my smoking habits. For this reason I'm trying to go liquid. I've purchased everything I need and I am prepared to make my first batch of tinc, just waiting on the jars and bottles to be delivered. I have Everclear and I just bought a quarter ounce of a heavy indica named Jaeger. I've studied your recipe multiple times and my only question is whether or not I should refreeze the plant matter before the second rinse.
    My other main concern is THC calculations, so help me out here, because I know you're the man and have it down to a science. If you have 7 grams of Nug at estimated 100 mg THC per gram, (THC 10%), and you concentrate it into 3 fluid ounces of tinc. That would be 700 mg THC per 90 ml(3 oz). If you are dosing at 1ml , that would be approximately 7.8mg of THC per ml of tincture. Is that enough to get high? Would a half ml at 4mgTHC be enough? Do i need to drink 2 ml of it? I'm sure it all depends on tolerance and THC percentage (Fairly sure my Indica is higher than 10% , I get my hands on some FIRE) (pics if needed). Let me know what you think and if 1 ml / .5ml is enough to get lifted. Thanks for your help, much respect to master P-Sam

• Like Like x 1
  17. welcome CaptainToasty... your journey sounds much like my own. I didn't like the smoking aspect of it and looking for something else brought me here. Sam is the man when it comes to all of this and I use his tincture method with everything I make.
    Calculating the thc has always confused me as many times as Sam has explained it to me

• Like Like x 1
  18. Follow up question, Should I grind my weed up before decarboxylation? Lightly break it up with my hands? Cook it and then grind? I know the process is 40 mins at 240 just curious what state of matter my buddage should be in

19. Howdy, CaptainToasty, and thanks for participating in our discussion.

Being a 50 year heavy cannabis smoker, I'm familiar with those side effects that you mention and we'll be happy to help you reduce those concerns. I'm glad that you mentioned that you're a multi-blunt daily user so that I can answer you more realistically.

First question I have to ask is the proof of your Everclear. That is going to make a huge difference and it will depend on where you live. Everclear makes a 151 & 190 proof. The majority of US states sell it although 11, I think, do not. "Everclear" brand in those states is only 151. The brand can even be bought in 151 versions in otherwise 190 proof markets. Just check the label to be sure. We'll assume for the sake of ease right now that it's 190. Other countries can be challenging.

If you were a bowl a day or even a joint per day person then I would tell you that the scenario you presented would be adequate but you're not. You're a stoner and because of that I won't waste your time with something that wouldn't be very satisfactory. So let's adapt.

If you get "fire" and you have a good source then your buds are going to be more than 10%. From my experience with testing, I'd tell you to start using 15% minimum for your calculations. Even black market buds are pretty high as long as it's not the imported stuff.

So that will make your numbers there a little higher, 11.7mg/ml and no, that's probably not going to be enough for a good dose although you would probably feel it. You'd feel that little bit because the GD is more bioavailable than other mediums. If you use it sublingually, that 11.7mg might be quite nice so it doesn't take as much as oil or butter or anything else in my experience.

That's not good enough, though. Heavy smokers, whether joint, blunt, dab or bong, are a bit more "jaded" and need a heavier dose to be satisfied. I speak from experience. So, you're not going to stop reducing at 3oz and you're going to keep going until you reach 2oz. That's where you should be able to use a .5ml and like it. You can continue to reduce as tolerance grows.

If you reduce it to 2oz instead of 3 then, using the 15%, that 1050mg total will be divided into less solvent which makes it more concentrated, 525mg/oz. That's 17.5mg/ml. Now, I know that it's hard to believe that a heavy smoker can even feel that let alone just half. I haven't really laid this out so plainly before or at least not in a long while and that's because nobody believes it. I have the lab tests, experience and nearly a thousand pages of everybody else's experiences to document it. Since you specifically asked, I figured that I'd lay it out again.

Personally, I reduce to 4g/oz for my usage. With a 7g batch that would be 1.75oz and with a 28g batch, 7oz final volume. I have found this to be good for me but I started at the halfway point, too. As tolerances increase, your concentration can get higher just by evaporating a little more. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 1
  20. You can grind loosely, like a joint texture, or leave the buds more intact. I like to just break them apart in my hands so I don't lose trichomes to the grinder then decarb. After it's decarbed you'll be able to break it up easily. I like to put it in the jar then use a spatula or other tool in the jar to loosen it up. That way all the trics are captured in the jar, the way I do it in the video.

Let me know if you have the 190 proof. :)

• Like Like x 1