Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them"
    I need to remind myself of this

• Like Like x 3
  2. Yeah, I'd make them separately then combine when ready. You don't really have to decarb for topicals but you may want to because of that mold. It may help destroy some of it. :huh:

• Like Like x 4
  3. Albert knew a thing or two. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Morning

• Like Like x 4
  5. .....And we have a winner!

My terpene liquidizer from Connoisseur Concentrates came yesterday and I didn't waste any time getting started since I already had some cheap shatter. I wasn't expecting miracles but I was definitely hoping the results would be better than the Viscosity from True Terpenes.

The first thing I noticed was that they sent a whole kit instead of just the bottle of terpenes like TT did. Included in the kit was an eyedropper to dispense the terpenes, a glass heating and mixing tube, a stainless steel stirring rod and a syringe with a long blunt tip needle for loading the cartridge. With the Viscosity I had to adapt things because those main accessories aren't found easily. I'd had to cut the end off a meat marinade injection needle to load the earlier ones. Because the CC product had all the stuff with it, it only took about a half hour from start to finish. Even easy to understand instructions.

shatter cartridge1.jpg

shatter cartridge2.jpg
    It was just so easy. First I broke up a gram of OG Kush shatter and stuffed it in the glass tube. I then placed it on my scale and tared it and then added .5g of the terpenes. That's half the bottle so you get 2 batches out of 1g. I got 2 .5ml cartridges from the batch.

shatter cartridge3.jpg

The terpenes are liquid and won't come close to covering the shatter and it's kind of interesting to see how that just breaks right down. When the terps and shatter are in the tube, heat the bottom of the tube until the terpenes start to bubble then stop and start stirring. It all just melts down as you stir it. I was extra cautious at first and needed to give it a little more heat but just a little. This is how it looks when finished. The heat darkens it a little. You can just let the terpenes and shatter sit overnight instead of heating for lighter color if that's important to you.

shatter cartridge4.jpg
    You let it cool a few minutes then draw it up in the syringe and blunt tipped needle that was provided and load your cartridges. As I said, this made two .5ml cartridges. I gave one to my neighbor to try out because he uses them all the time from the dispensaries and I wanted his take on it. He knocked on my door shortly after and he was floating on air so I guess it works.

shatter cartridge5.jpg
    This is really delicious, too. It tastes like Tangerine and shatter. It's been a while since they were made now and there is no separation, no cloudiness or waxes and no leaks from the cartridges. It creates quite a nice effect without the pg/peg aftertaste and it also provides the full profile of the strain that you don't get from the pg/peg or the distillate carts. Since I used a gram of shatter that was about 70%, 700mg, there's around 350mg per cartridge.

The cartridges are .5ml ccell ceramic drip glass cartridges and can be cleaned out and reused without being rebuilt like many tanks and ceramic tipped.

Connoisseur Concentrates only sells 5g or more with the 5g costing $125. I had to get this single gram from eBay but if someone used the cartridges a lot, the 5g would be a good investment. You would get 20 of these carts, 4 for each gram. There are only 3 of the flavored varieties available right now in the single grams but the 5g vials come in a variety choices. I received my gram in 3 days so that was good. Here's the link but it says there's only five available: Connoisseur Concentrates "The Solution" Flavored Solutions 1 Gram Vial | eBay

The cartridges are similar to these except mine have ceramic tips instead of the metal ones like these:
    (5).5ML CCELL Glass Ceramic Wickless Vape Cartridge Stainless Steel 510 Threads | eBay

yeux3.gif

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Nice Job
    How would you compare yours to the ones from the Pot stores ?
    How was it when you smoke it same better as store bought?
    Price wise how much did we save?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'm on the third day of the .5ml cartridge and it's still clear although some wax residue stuck to the side of the glass as it emptied but nothing different than the shatter cartridges from the dispensary. Distillate doesn't leave any waxes behind.

I've been toking it constantly during the whole time since I have nothing else right now and I've been staying pretty buzzed. I like it much better than the BHO pens that use pg/peg and it's about the same as the distillate cartridges. I haven't had a chance to ask my neighbor his thoughts but from his initial reaction, he liked it better than the commercial ones, too.

I actually like it better than the distillate ones, too, even though it's not as potent. This version has more of the real profile of the strains instead of just a generic profile. The distillate would really wind me up after using it for a while because of the 96% THC and not enough of the other cannabinoids to modulate it. That was another reason why I didn't really like them but they're better now since they've started spicing it up with strain terpenes.

The cost is going to depend on the price of shatter and the price of carts in a particular location. Here a distillate cart this size costs $30-$40. The terpene blend cost $20 and will give me 4 of those carts. Each cart is .5g of shatter. My shatter was $15 for a gram but many places it's $40-$50. At $15/g my cost for the 2 carts is $25 which includes the half gram of terpenes. If the shatter was $40 then the total cost is $40 for 2 carts. You get about 2-1 cost effectiveness.

Add about $2.50 for each empty cartridge. fouhelico (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. I say a winner

• Like Like x 2
  9. If you can get cheap shatter or make your own or don't live in a state with dispensaries or high prices like yours if you can get it. Otherwise, it's simpler just to go and buy one. For example, today one dispensary has a sale, buy one get one free, on the distillate vape cartridges with strain profiles that I use when I use one. Normally $30 but today with the BOGO the cost is just $15. That's hard to beat anywhere. So yes, it's a winner but whether it's worth the effort is dependent on each situation.

I'm certainly glad that I did it and will probably do it again because I have more control of the ingredients. One of these carts lasts me longer than an eighth of flowers for about the same cost. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Sam,
    I started looking through the thread, but after a few dozen pages, I couldn't find it, and my eyes glazed over at the prospect of looking through 900+ more to find it so if this has been asked, I apologize.

I cannot get 190+ proof here. The best I can do is 120 (well 151 Bacardi, but I and rum don't get along). How can I use the 120 proof without all the alcohol evaporating and leaving a load of water (40% at the start)?

• Like Like x 2
  11. feuxartifice.gif

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Greetings, Wmoon518, and thanks for joining our discussion.

As far as I know there's not a lot of good choices for you. 151 would be the best if you didn't want to evaporate everything down and reconstitute it. You'd be able to reduce it about 25-30% before it started to separate but even that isn't going to concentrate it very much.

I don't know what kind of issues you have with rum over other kinds of alcohol but if it's the flavor, that doesn't stick around after the extraction. I used some rum in the video and you would have never known from the finished product. You can soak your material in the 120 for a few days but you wouldn't be able to concentrate it without evaporating it all down, including the water. You'll get something just like in this video except you'll have a little more water to get rid of. Or else you could do shots. Take a look at this video for the 151. It was on the Index link on the first post but resides in my other thread. :)

Detailed Reduction & Concentration Guide w/video for 151 Proof Green Dragon(Dragon Lite)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Perusing the recipes/directions for various tinctures. Even the index has gotten unwieldy! There is a book in there, P'Sam!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I agree
    I think you should write that book Sam that we talked about so long ago
    when I 1st met you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. #19717 STIGGY, Jul 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    You Can call it
    THE BOOK OF SAM'S
    CANNABIS EMPORIUM

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. A lot of people have thought they could make a book out of it over the years. I think some may still be trying but it would be tough. Every now and then someone will discover the thread and then offer to create a book. The offers are always serious and are made by individuals in the real publishing world and so far, no one has been able to find a format format for it and it keeps growing. Anyone is welcome to try with my blessing as long as it ain't me. surmene (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. It was only a few pages then, Stiggy. It's too much now. It would take 5 books to do it right. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1