Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. I actually use Sam's recipes from this thread for my pain cream, and neuropathy butter. I make a separate root balm without any above-ground material base for those who prefer to not have anything with THC in it.

My reasoning for using the transfer is many fold. 1: the creams don't usually smell like weed, and since I work in a non-legal state, this is a BIG deal. 2: Sam has shown way back in the 2-300 page range of this thread where he used 'depleted' material that had been used for direct to oil/butter transfer, and still was able to extract a healthy portion from it. So, yes, I believe the method is better quality. Not to mention that you have more control over how much is in the oil, therefore you have more control over the dosage. In with that, you can infuse more oil from less material using the tincture and solvent transfer method. 3: Because I do not decarb the material before extraction (allowing it the 4 months for natural decarb instead), it reduces the odor throughout the house. 4: Oils infused through solvent transfer do not need to be filtered after the infusion, so you are not going to lose as much. The filtering is done during the tincture process.

Basically, I landed on this thread, and Grass City in general, because I wanted to find an easy way to dose without needing to smoke. Toking has its place, certainly, but I cannot risk the smell infiltrating even my winter coat (smoking is done in the garage). I have friends who use the Magic Butter machine, and will argue with me every step of the way that I am making inferior products (in their eyes), but to me, the product does not need to smell distinctively of weed to be effective. I need to be able to stay working for at least another 5 years to finish paying down some debts; a medical card does not protect you from job loss, unfortunately. (I actually learned from someone who wanted me to be their caregiver that if they even apply for the card, they will lose their job at a major department store.)

I've probably more than answered your questions, but I tend to get wordy.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. I can tell you that where I have looked, tinctures sell around my area for $50 an oz. Those who have used what I have produced (based on Sam's guidance, and from trim, not bud, at 4g/oz) have declared mine to be far more potent than what the dispensaries sell.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. switching back to medical use from recreational. I'm having a weird pain proving hard to diagnose after three weeks. I've not had good pain control and toking a hit or two three or four times a day helps. I finally realized this is a job for tincture! I have some active and ready to go, but need to make more. I am not in a hurry. I'm going to try a few things. A natural nug tincture and some active tincture from concentrate. I'm going to try terpenes specific for pain. It's not terrible pain, just too much to ignore that's not obviously muscle or skeletal. Tests have ruled out anything acute. Thing Is I don't want to mask symptoms and tincture can work too well. Oh, I also am going to try an ounce of bud in the QM.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Oh, don't you just love those mystery pains....NOT. I get my fair share of those, too. It sounds like you've got a good plan of action there, though. Keep us informed as it plays out from all those options. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1

5. Just wondering do those dispensary tinctures say the amount of thc or cbd or anything like that on them?

Also do they list their ingredients? I'm in an illegal state so I've only seen 2 bottles that a friends had. One bottle was only like 20 or 30% alcohol with glycerin and some other stuff in it. The other bottle listed the only ingredients other then cannabis as alcohol and lecitin.

Cant really see the reason for alcohol and lecithin? Does anyone know why they'd do that or if it could benifit absorption when combined with alcohol? I have tried it before and its kinda hard to get them to mix, but after applying heat and shaking like crazy I got it mixed enough that it was useable. If I remember correctly after awhile it would separate but then it could be shaken back together easier. Didn't notice any increased effects adding lecithin to GD so I forgot about it till now. I've also seen an infused honey that had lecithin in it. Tried that too but didn't notice it being any better?

But I recently was going to make infused honey. Instead I made an infused honey, coconut oil and lecithin combo. I'm going to try making it again when I get more bud and I'll try to write down measurements this time. But it was maybe like 75% honey and lets say like alittle more then 20% coconut oil and the rest lecithin. I thought it tasted great and it actually mixed together easily and stayed together till I used it all up. It seemed to combine the best parts of infused honey which to me are the taste and feeling the effects faster. And the best parts of infused coconut oil which to me is like a stronger or deeper high feeling although it takes longer to feel. But I made GD to transfer to just honey originally and when I do that I try to concentrate/evaporate my GD alot more then normal so the solvent transfer process didn't take long at all.

• Like Like x 2
  6. The dispensaries around here seem to only have glycerin or MCT oil tinctures, no GD, although some delivery services sometimes have it. With the new cannabis technologies there's more options available than just a couple of years ago. Distillate and other concentrates have made GD tinctures obsolete because they can now get good potency without the alcohol and the burn and the processing.

I don't know why someone would want to put lecithin in an alcohol extraction since it's not much use. Using it in honey is common and many infuse the honey with their coconut oil instead of a solvent transfer then add the lecithin and whip it up. That gives you a creamy honey and the lecithin acts as an emulsifier to keep it from separating. I've never tried it myself, though. :confused_2:

• Like Like x 2
  7. If I recall correctly, and that can be questionable with the calcifications caused by the hypopara, I believe they typically were around 100mg per 1 oz bottle. Based on estimated math (not had mine tested at all so far), I believe mine end up closer to 400 mg in a 1 oz bottle.

Like Sam said, and he definitely knows more than I, it makes no sense for them to have added lecithin to an alcohol tincture. By law, they are required to list ingredients. If you ever find a bottle that does not have ingredients listed, it can not have been purchased from a dispensary. I do not have a dispensary license, just a caregiver registration, but I still list all ingredients as if I were selling to the public. Even though I try to gather as much information about my registered patients as possible, everyone can forget about an allergy until something affects them. This way, if they have forgotten something, the ingredients list could trigger the memory and avoid an unnecessary ER visit.

I do not, as of yet, have any experience with crafting CBD products, and I don't know how long until I start traveling down that path, in addition to my current line. As it is becoming more popular, I may have to at least check into growing a plant or two strictly for CBD. As with the others, though, I would be extracting to a tincture for solvent transfer. I really like the process, and I am a firm believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." LOL.

• Like Like x 3

8. Yeah I remember seeing someone from this thread(i think?) adding either alittle honey to mostly coconut oil or vice versa? And I've tried adding alittle honey to coconut oil before too and it tasted good but it mainly affected me exactly like an infused oil. This was the 1st time I made it with mainly honey and I really liked it. And the consistency of it was very nice and smooth, almost like uninfused honey if it wasn't so sticky.

That makes sense with all the new concentrates that companies are going the glycerin or mct oil route to avoid the burn of alcohol tinctures.

• Like Like x 2

9. Wow 50 for an ounce that only has 100mg in it. I think thats pretty high? And yeah I've never had flowers that were tested or my gd tested but I'd suspect pretty much all the GD I make would have lots more then 100mg thc. I usually dont think of stuff I make in terms of mg of thc. I usually just go by how many grams are in whatever I'm making and then depending on the quality of the bud I have at the moment I might adjust how much bud I'm actually using or adjust my serving size accordingly.

Yeah I love actually seeing ingredients on edibles. Its always nice to know what your eating/taking especially for someone with allegies. I haven't seen a ton of products with labels cause its still the stone ages of cannabis prohibition in NJ but hopefully thats changing sometime soon. But the few times I have seen stuff with the ingredients listed its at least given me ideas for stuff to try. Even if occasionally its something like lecithin and alcohol thats probably pointless, its still fun experimenting for me

• Like Like x 4
  10. Labeling laws are exceedingly important, at least in the eyes of anyone with any kind of sensitivities. My hubby is allergic to coconut, so anything containing coconut oil (even a topical, as we discovered) is out of the question. One of our children is actually allergic to cannabis, thankfully without breathing issues, as apparently my air scrubber is nearing replacement time (she informed me today that she could smell the plants when she came in, which is usually not the case). Personally, I am allergic to no foods, but with a severe poison ivy allergy, and the fact that mango, if handled wrongly, can excrete the same oil from its skin, I dare not risk anything containing mango (that was fun at my neice's baby shower, when they played a guess the baby food game, and one was mango). Anyone with a nut allergy would want to avoid products containing any of the nut oils....

Obviously, I really do tend to ramble. LOL. My 2 biological children were both allergic to rice and tropical fruit as infants/toddlers. It took me several hours every week to do shopping for baby food, as almost everything contained rice flour. I am so adapted to checking labels now that it is an automatic wrist flip every time I pick up something. Without that ingredient list, the item goes right back where I found it.

• Like Like x 4
  11. What would yall say is a typical potency for GD (couldn't find anything with search). From my calculations, figuring a 15% thc level of flower I get 17.5mg/mL. Sound about right?

12. Nothing is "typical" but here's how it works out. If you have bud that's 15%, you'll yield about 75% of that with your extraction, for 12%. By coincidence and coincidence only, if you're final product is the equivalent of 4g of flower for each fluid ounce of tincture then the potency of the GD is approximately the same number as the raw flower but in mg/ml instead of mg/g. I've got a hundred lab tests to back it up. In your example you would have about 15mg/ml for that 15% bud. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Same here XD

"Hey baby, I hear the blues a-callin'
    Tossed salad and scrambled eggs.."

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thanks Sam. I punched 12% into the spreadsheet I threw together and got 14mg/mL... but I'm also figuring 3.5grams per 30mL so it sounds like the calculations are correct

• Like Like x 2
  15. I was just rounding off since it is so coincidental but you've got the idea. :)

• Like Like x 4
  16. #19036 pushu, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Sam: you posted a link to a recipe for chocolate a while back and I recall reading it. It used cocoa butter which I finally found but now I can't find the link despite looking for it the last 20 minutes. If someone finds it would you please repost it?

Edit: guess I should have looked a bit more before posting this. I don't often read any other threads other than Sam's and forgot that I checked out Badkitty's thread recently and there it was - the post I was looking for

• Like Like x 2

17. This was the recipe that I posted for 2themax last month. It's without infusion. You'd infuse the oil. :)
    https://www.precisionnutrition.com/chocolate-making

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I just made a half recipe of this and have it in the fridge now and we'll see how it turns out. So far it mainly tastes like coconuts. I added a few chopped almonds. It's a virgin batch just to see how it works first. :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. #19040 PsychedelicSam, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    chocolate1.jpg
    I made the chocolate from that link I posted using agave nectar. I won't do that again. It was a huge disappointment because the agave did not mix into the chocolate combination of cocoa butter, coconut oil and powdered cocoa. This bar looks nice but has no taste. There was a little left in the bowl and I spooned it into some candy molds. Those were good but the agave settled out into the bottom of each piece and not in the chocolate itself. If I make this again I'll try powdered sugar instead. This is why a virgin batch should be made first. :rolleyes:

BTW, I consider this a fail and don't recommend it. The hot water bath is insufficient.

• Like Like x 4