Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. You have to reduce the whole thing first because of the water in the 151. You just want to add the least amount of fresh alcohol to reach your desired potency after it's become the gooey oil. If you make it too dilute and try to evaporate some off then you're going to run into the exact same situation as a bud original reduction. It will separate again and you'll have to do the full evaporation again then add less alcohol the next time. You can always dilute it more if it's too strong but why would you.

The difference is the 151 instead of your 190. It will still work for wax or the oil from reduction. You may need to warm it, just warm it for a few seconds, no more, so that the decarbed wax or oil will dissolve easier. Stir it well. This is true whether you start with wax, hash or flowers. The wax and hash are concentrated already and the original evaporation isn't necessary like the flowers.

If using 151 for bud then you have an extra step to make it a concentrate but once it has been turned to the gooey oil, you reconstitute it just like you would the decarbed wax or hash. You just want to use enough for the potency you want. If using flower then your final potency will be variable depending on how much you used. When using 151 for extracting bud or trim you need to differentiate between the original extraction and reduction and the reconstitution step. There are different factors at play. :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Something else I will note.... it seems like the batches of GD that were more affected by residual moisture during the decarb tend to be the ones that irritate my stomach --- gurglely, grumbly, butterflies... not painful, but not very pleasant. I always thought it was due to chlorophyll, but I've got batches made from trim and depletion runs that don't cause this irritation -- but several bud runs and now this kief run that tend to have it. I'm at a loss to find a reason why moisture would cause this if its not due to excess chlorophyll.

• Like Like x 2
  3. It seems strange that small amount of excess moisture would have that kind of effect unless you're sensitive to that small of a increase. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'm thinking thats there is more to it than that.... something to do with moisture (too much) being present during the decarb..... allowing some weird conversion of a compound (chlorophyll or some terpene) or allowing something to be extracted that normally wouldn't be if it were drier....
    I wouldn't think that its just a matter of water being dragged along..... There is definitely a distinct flavor associated with it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. now im really confused. probably why ive dumped 10 ounces of gd away. none of my tries have turned out like the first. i thought that useingbtrim wouldnt matter for strength but it did. even a different sativa wont give me what i had the first time. the oil i made and put in avfew different things and got sick ounce, passed out fast and nothing at all. maybe stick to smoke so im not throwing so much away. ive got 9 ounces of material that ive used. 2 ounces of great gd and the rest was trash.lol

6. It could be that. Many of the terpenoids are metabolites of others and it's possible the original compound isn't as friendly as its offspring. :confused_2:

• Like Like x 1
  7. I'm not surprised. You keep jumping around instead of getting one thing perfected at a time. You're trying to do too many things at once and letting other discussion here get you off track. It isn't rocket science but there are some things you have to pay attention to. You keep trying to hit a home run when you've barely learned how to swing the bat.

Maybe it's not for you. It's your decision. Tincture is much different than toking and has a bunch of nuances that can affect it. If you run up your tolerance instead of titrating then it's worthless. Not everybody gets it. If you'd make that trip for the 190 as suggested you might change your mind. :huh:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3

8. Different bud will usually give different effects. 2 of my favorites for GD that gives energy are sour diesel and green crack but while they both give me great energy they are different in how it affects me and how I feel taking them. Also like Sam said your tolerance can go up really fast if you take more then you need then it rises fast! But if you stop taking GD for a few days at least your tolerance will go down. I've had issues with tolerance to GD the 1st few months I was making it and thats when I realized you cant go taking double or triple the amount you took yesterday and keep expecting the same or better results day after day.

And honestly I'd never throw GD away even if it wasn't that good i still wouldn't throw it away but I pay for my bud because I cant risk growing it. If you have GD that isn't good then I'd just reduce it so its stronger or I'd use it to make an infused oil or some type of topical lotion or cream? But like Sam said if you can get 190 proof alcohol then do it, it'll be easier to learn with that then 151 but you should try to keep it simple as possible in the beginning. I'm trying new stuff now but I feel like I could make good GD in my sleep now but in the beginning if I tried different stuff it would still work but it didn't always work as well as it should have!

• Like Like x 4
  9. not surprised here either. but i havnt even attempted anything else since i made my first gd, few weeks month. not sure off hand. but im nust trying to get it right. not gonna try again till i have 190. maybe u coukd walk me through again based on strain, et c. if u had time. i will have it wen i got the cash.

lol, wen i was teen, bud was hard to com by, now not at all.

10. I'm happy to help, Yoda, and will continue to walk you through it until the cows come home if necessary. I'm not sure how you've gone through 9 oz in this short time since we didn't walk you through nearly that much. You started with that 3oz you used for the iso/151 concentrate but you had already done that.

The strains are important because they have different effects. I get the impression, though, that you're trying to reach a dab level effect without the dab. You're not going to get that from GD more than occasionally.because your brain is going to get accustomed to it just like other CB1 receptor compounds. Whenever you're ready I'll walk you through it. Forget the 151. Get the 190 whenever you can. I'm no stranger to cash flow issues. We'll be here when you're ready. :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sam do you know if boiling point of terps is the same as their vapor point or I guess when the terps would vaporize and leave the bud during a decarb? Cause I've been looking up terps, flavonoids and cannabinoids boiling points and I crossed checked my info (although not thoroughly) using 2 different sites and seems like the terps that normally show up in the highest percentages say their boiling points are mostly way above 250 degrees. I know I keep reading they are volitale compounds and I guess I dont completely understand it but seems like if their boiling points are say 300 plus degrees then would they really be vaporized or leave the bud during a 40 minute decarb at 240 degrees?

12. It depends on the terpenes. There are a couple left after a full decarb cycle but that's about it. I've done a few tests for comparison and found an average of 12 terpenes present of the 19 listed by my lab. Those vary by strain but the total number is similar and it's raw bud. I've never noticed more than 3 after decarb.

You can smell the terpenes vaporizing during the decarb. Those are the most volatile of the bunch but that's where the connection to boiling/vapor points end. Those designations are for vaping and not extended heat like a decarb for 40 minutes. The longer heat breaks the terpenes down into different metabolites, many of which have their own properties.

There are different kinds of terpenes and terpenoids with all kinds of structures and about 50% of them are more volatile than the others. The terpenes are the hydrocarbon structures whereas the terpenoids are the metabolites of those terpenes through oxidation and curing. That oxidation also takes place during the decarb as it does during normal curing. Without a bunch of science equipment we do the best we can to retain as much as possible. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. lol, i didnt go through it. still have alot. thats what im saying. the flower is easy to come by now that i grow. i need sativa, i pull a clone and im good in a couple months..:)

ok, about me...

i have never dabbed so dont know what thats like. only watched vieo and researched. the only ways ive consumed cannabis is j,bong,pipe,1 cookie you helped me make, and the gd you helped me make.

this jumping around as you call it, is me trying to cram for the final exam. you been to college i suspect. youve got limited time and resources, but need to get it done. im looking for what i will continue to use and trying to learn for others benefit. yes when im asking bout dabbing, its for me, because ive herd its instant and strong, and there are a couple times a month i end up in the er cause i dont have that. costing me upwards of $2k a month in hospitol expenses for nothing cause they DO nothing. they stopped giving any sort of pain meds, no more tests. anyway i can deal with this at home, just need to know how. thats where i am. mostly i talk a lot of shit! not teally but i often get off topic and ask random questions on numerous topics. i apologize, but it got me a 3.8 at western!LOL

haa, thanks for dealing with me though, yall ate great:)

• Like Like x 2
  14. strains i will have to cook with...

green crack
    white widow
    amnesia
    more unknown sativa (alot)
    northern lights
    unknown indica dominant hybrid (unknown cause i havnt named it) northern lights x diesel x northern lights

• Like Like x 1
  15. oh, and vape pens

16. While you may have a good stock of material, there's still no reason to waste it. Getting your process perfected by using small batches is much more efficient. It allows you to make a mistake like a jar falling over without losing sleep over it. You're trying to cram for an exam but you've only had the Cliff Notes version of the course and that seldom leads to full success. You may pass the course but we want you to be the head of the class.

Just hold up for a while. You're not going to get what you need from the 151 results so there's no need to continue to pursue that course of action. Once you get the 190 then many other options open up for you and then you can also start learning about your strains on a more intimate basis.

I know what you mean about the ER. I've been misdiagnosed several times and I've never left feeling better than when I went in. It took several visits to realize that I was on my own and to deal with the issues on my own. It's worked well so far.

I believe others will agree that it can get distracting trying to follow our conversations because we do cover so much ground and simultaneous discussions. Goodness only knows how I manage to keep things going at this level. I'm not sure there is an "off-topic" category here that could derail us but I'm also sure that we've lost people over the course of time because of our wide ranging discourse. The time will come, sooner than I want, when I won't be able to follow along, either, and it will be time to retire.

Never be sorry for seeking knowledge that can make your life and those around you better. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 5
  17. If you're looking for wake and bake Sativa effects, energetic and uplifting then you would probably want to use the Green Crack and maybe the Amnesia if you like that kind of effect. There are different types of Sativa THC effects. You have what most people think of, energy, clarity of mind, uplifting like you'd find in some of the landrace Sativas like Mexican, Columbian and some others but then you have others like Acapulco Gold, Maui, Waui, Nepalese and others that are more like a "trip" than a wake and bake. It's effects may still be energetic and uplifting but the head clarity is replaced by far more esoteric thoughts.

The Green Crack would be a good choice for whatever you make if you want that energetic, clear effect. The Amnesia will have more of that "trippy" effect. Amnesia Haze, on the other hand and like most Hazes, would be energetic. The difference in use might be the GC for the start of your day on a busy day when you have a lot to do. You might use the Amnesia on a day you may want some creativity and focus for a project. Both are Sativas but each has it's own personality.

The unknown Sativas will fall in the same category as above and you'll determine how to use those once you've smoked them. Sativas are the hardest strains to match the ingestion profile with the toking profile because of all the nuances. The White Widow and your Northern Lights and cross' will be much easier to dial in for your ingestion. :)

This may be your best bet for what you're seeking. It's probably the only thing short of dabbing that will get you the fast relief you seek. You can use the other products but if you need something fast, the pen would probably be something you should explore when you get the 190. Brass uses the GD with ejuice with a drip atomizer and I've seen others that do it also. Check it out. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. wow, ur bringing up memories with that old stuff. be nice to find some.

i dont follow the last part about exploring pens and atomizers. i originaly got my first pen 2 months ago cause i was told it fit me. i liked the first cartridge, not the next 3. i started looking into concentrates to see if it was possible to fill the cartriges myself. found i would need to distill, and not looking to put that kinda money in. bought a honey pen that i was told i could use to vape wax, shatter or most any other. havnt created anything that works. first one ruined the coil first attempt.lol

now, i love that gd in my coffee though. the batch made with ur instruction wss perfect. 3 others now not so much. cookies became sleep. smoking skunk #1 now and looks like i might get some 190 this weekend ( THANKS MYSTIQUE). if all goes well i would like to try this weekend. what you got planned for the next lesson anyhow? :)

19. A drip atomizer is closer to dab than a cartridge and your GD will provide the effects. BrassNwood is better versed in that than I am. I've had some solventless cartridges that have kicked my butt but never had much luck at making my own. If we can get a good QWET process for you then you'll have a lot more pen options.

The next lesson is going to be the first one all over again without the 151 influence. Just a 7g batch. We'll go from there. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1

20. Interesting. I've been thinking about getting a vaporizer for bud and/or wax but theres so many options I have no idea what to pick especially when it seems like the good ones are expensive. And I was thinking about trying to make e liquid that could be used in my e cig mode thing but seems like using VG isnt a great option. I recently got 2 bhang CO2 cartridges and they were nice but kinda expensive especially considering I can get a gram of what I think is good wax for 5-10 bucks less then a 500mg cartridge. So after they were empty I tried putting wax in one with some ecig liquid, it somewhat worked till I blew the coil. The next one Ive just been stuffing some wax above the coil and that works for a few hits then you need to use a paperclip or something to push more wax down so it vaporizes.

I've been thinking about buying some cheap tanks and buying some terps from buy terepenes they have ones that are supposed to mimic certian strains effects. But I wanted to try that to see if I could use it to make cheap vape cartridges for myself but I'll also look into brassNwoods method too! But then I also wanted to add some terepenes to GD and infused oils and see how that works out.