Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Myrcene and a few other terpenes are specific to Indicas and soon strains are going to be known for the terpene profiles instead of the cannabinoid profiles for medical effects.

Natural decarb is to preserve those terpenes but sometimes air drying just won't do the job if it's humid. You can lightly dry your material in a 150°F or lower oven for 20-30 minutes. 200° if you don't care about the terpenes. For this an oven thermometer is mandatory.

There really were no appreciable losses of THC or THCA to CBN for the 240/40 decarb window. With sous vide you have the collected moisture issue again. :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I've come to the conclusion that even if the bud/trim/kief "seems" dry - readily smokeable.... it really isn't (at least away from the desert areas). My last batch of GD made with kief decarbed in a preheated mason jar came out quite damp/moist --- and produced an rather foul 'green' taste -- not what I was expecting from kief run GD. Connecting the dots between this batch and several others with that foul flavor that I know were moist after a covered decarb, I've concluded that the residual moisture impacts the flavor of the GD quite a bit. I've been in the habit of stirring/shaking the pan midway in the decarb, and have noticed that most of the time the material IS quite damp (hence why I choose to stir it midway thru), but if its uncovered/sealed, it usually doesn't matter.... although it does throw a question mark into whether it was really at the 240f/40 minutes.... When I notice moist material, I usually let it go an extra 10-15 minutes just for good measure.

Next time I try a sealed decarb - or finally attempt a natural decarb run, I will definitely be pre-drying the material before hand to try and avoid the nasty 'green' flavor.

• Like Like x 3
  3. If you have a vacuum chamber, you can put the bud in with a dessicant and pull a vacuum for a couple of hours. That will dry the material without degrading the terps. Little trick I learned from my BHO days.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Wow
    Interesting...so other than terpenes, the difference between the natural decarb and the heated is negligible?

And are you saying i should put the material in the oven at 150-200f before decarbing to dry it out?
    Final question, i was reading your notes on thca in partially decarbed herb producing more of a sativa like effect, so if i wanted a specific batch to have that effect what would you recommend it to be decarbed at?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yep, it's the terpenes. The decarb is just a way to activate the THC & CBD and that can be done in various ways. It's the terpenes that give your cannabis its personality.

If you're going to do a natural decarb and you're in a humid area that might make it difficult to air dry your material then you can place it in the oven at very low temperature, under 150°F if you want the terpenes but no more than 200° if you don't care about the terpenes.

For the edgier THCA effects you'll decarb @ 240°F for 30 minutes instead of 40. If you've got an Indica that you're trying to make a little more functional then that should do it. It will make Sativas a bit more energetic. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. You have no idea how helpful that information is.thanks man!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. 20-30 minutes max on the drying. :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. @PsychedelicSam I'm too excited to wait. LOL. So, I have the end piece of the soap loaf, which was barely 1/4 inch thick, and it was dry enough tonight that I decided to give it a try. First off, regardless of whether the cannabis infusion does as hoped, the soap recipe itself is AMAZING. My skin hasn't been this smooth since I stopped buying Mary Kay Time Wise body lotion. Normally after my shower, regardless of what body wash or soap I use, while toweling dry, there is always a layer of film that I have to rub away. Hubby one time actually asked me if I even bothered with soap, the "grime" was so ridiculous. (I showered a 2nd time, him seeing how I scrubbed, and it still left whatever it was on my skin.) While drying tonight, this did not happen. Stunned me completely, which is when I rubbed my hand along my arm. The only words that could come to mind were: holy shit.

Regardless, I know I still have to "dial in" the process for the best neuropathic benefits, but I will undoubtedly be making all of our soap from scratch from now on. (Even the normal sandpaper-like feel I usually have on my cheeks is gone!) I am in metaphorical love with hand-crafted soap.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  9. thats amazing. isnt it great to be the creater of what you consume?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. [​IMG]
    Another round of Dry Ice Hash fixins, Only about 140 grams from this run.
    [​IMG]
    Left over scraps get decarbed in a 1 inch layer at 240-250 degs for 60 min. Needs a bit of extra time to fully darken all the way to the core. It's right at the edge of smoking a bit when I pull it from the oven and smells heavenly.
    [​IMG]
    More bud scraps I'll get decarbed in the next few days.
    BNW

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. i have a sativa that i harvested and dont know what to do with it. there are very few tryches and no effect smoking. no loss but can i make it have an effect with any methods u all know of. its 4.5 ounces

12. Make concentrate out of it. You may not get a lot of yield but at least you'll get something. Make that alcohol run to get 190 then make a QWET extraction with it. It's like the iso but safer. Quick wash ethanol. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Another Terpene Chart

Terpenes1.jpg Terpenes2.jpg Terpenes3.jpg
    Select Image to Expand
    I don't know if many of you remember but almost 2 years ago I said that I was going to make a chart of the most common terpenes found in cannabis and listed on my lab's assay. Well, I haven't forgotten and have been steadily working on it although I hit a few bumps in the road along the way. When I started, these terpene companies hadn't yet started making an appearance so I was having to dig a lot deeper to find specific info but now all the info is already gathered by True Terpenes or Entourage or the other companies. I just have to cross reference and verify instead of digging. Because of that I finally was able to finish it.

It's not as pretty as those websites but they weren't available then so I was stuck with the spreadsheet format. There's 18 terpenes most commonly found in cannabis. I've tried to include all the pertinent info I could gather. It's just a reference guide but was probably more in front of the trend than in the middle of it. Since I put in the work I thought I'd share.

The terpene is listed on the left then next I've listed the benefits that I could find for it followed by other sources of the compound and any cautions that were found. Finally, the strains that I could find for sure that contained the terpene. There are many more of those but I may do a separate listing for those. Fortunately, by now there has been a lot of analysis done on that so it shouldn't be too hard to find and will give me something interesting to do with my time.

kangaroo crossing (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  14. thanks sam. you were right about the gd turning out different based on strain. i made 12 ounces of it useing skunk #1. i donot like it at all. stomach ache and barely noticable effect. if i want it to be a morning med (energetic), what would be the decarb temp a nd time? would it be different for indica vs. sativa?

also the quick ethenol that ur talking about. is there a link to directions? can it be done with 151? is the strength or duration affected when useing 161 over 190?

15. hay sam, what do you think it would cost to start getting product testing? we have a local place that tests the despenseries stuff for all sorts of things. im thinking of contacting but cant put alot into it.

16. Skunk #1 is considered a Sativa by a lot of people because of its Acapulco & Columbian Gold Genetics but the other genetics in the strain come from a real buttkicker, Afgani. Skunk1 is about like Jack Herer or the Super Hazes that may be 60% Sativa but with enough strong Indica in it to greatly influence the outcome. Using less of a dose may change your mind. But if you want it edgier then decarb for 10 minutes less.

No, you can't make a QWET with 151. Too much water. :mellow:

• Like Like x 5
  17. Around here and a couple of areas I've checked out the, cost of a basic cannabinoid profile is around 40 bucks, 60 w/terpenes and a bit more for pesticides, mold and other things. :)

• Like Like x 5
  18. yeah, those genetics is why im curious. i love the smoke though. 3rd time i grew it. getting 190 soon.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I've seen several well known sources now say to dry the material at low heat, especially for concentrates and GD is in that category. Those sources then go on to decarb, or not, for the same length of time and same temperature as normally used. I never saw the need for it before personally but now that we've had a few experiencing that moisture problem, it's probably a good idea. Skunk Pharm is pretty reliable. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Yes, it is. And I have more volunteers for testing than I thought I would get. Once I started thinking, I realized that I know so many diabetics who have neuropathy, that I should be able to easily get enough of them willing to test. I will be making a batch either this weekend or next (depending on if I have enough ethanol still on hand) that will not be infused with cannabis, for those who simply want boutique products. Also, just so that I can see how it compares.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1