Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Is the solution turning cloudy? Can you tell if the spots are like sediment or oily? Is that happening on all 3 tinctures or just one? How's the humidity? Got a pic? Sorry for all the questions. :huh:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hey Sam,

Yeah it's happening to all three, the jack herer is the worst though for some reason. I'm not sure how well you can see it but it also has some on the glass above the solution as well. Could there be mold forming? It's in a closet but it's not too humid. The spots seem to be like sediment.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Did you filter it at all? Sorry if you answered that I am catching up on the thread! Doesn't look bad, that is how tincture I made looks after sitting from hash. Give it a swirl?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yep I filtered it. I followed Sams protocol exactly. I'm thinking maybe I reduced it too much.

• Like Like x 2
  5. How well did you filter after straining? It's not mold. Does that stuff on the side feel gritty or oily? If you dip a fingertip into it, is it oily or gritty or sticky? I see what looks like an oil streak along the side. If you splash the solution over it will it dissolve into it? :mellow:

• Like Like x 1
  6. We've recently discovered that humidity can mess with natural evaporation. Hopefully your problem will just be sediment and not separation. Even with filtering silt can still remain in the solution and may take another filtering but before you do that we'll try to determine if that's the issue.

Another thing you can do is take a metal probe of some sort and try to catch the spots on it. If they adhere and cling to it and build up then that's separation and we'll need to work on that but if they just float without sticking to your probe/fork/spoon then it just needs filtering. Pull out the probe and feel it and look for oil that may have stuck to it. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. I filtered it pretty well, it looked neon green and completely clear when all was said and done. It didn't start getting cloudy until I reduced. I wiped some off the stuff off the sides. Doesn't feel sticky at all, wiped easily off almost like water. If I swirl aggressively they will come off the glass. I think they might have originally got on the glass from me swirling it in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  8. There's only one way to know for sure if you're willing. Take one of those jars and pour an ounce of it out separately. Take another paper filter and wet it with fresh alcohol so it doesn't absorb yours. Pour that ounce of GD through the wet filter then we want to look at the filter when it's finished. If it's oil that filters out then we'll save that filter and get it back but if it's trichome husks we'll be able to tell that, too. :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. It appears to be sticking to the metal spoon. When I scoop up some tincture on the spoon then pour it off, there are some black dots left on the spoon. When wet, the spoon is not sticky. After about a minute of drying it is then sticky.

10. This is what I wiped off the spoon with a cotten pad. Does this help?

Attached Files:

11. There's some moisture in the tincture that may have come from humidity or the material. When making a natural decarb the material should be as dry as possible. That's something we have learned recently.

Just let it evaporate the rest of the way then reconstitute it with fresh alcohol. For a 14g batch I would recommend 2 oz of fresh alcohol. That will give you a very strong tincture but you'll just use less. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Got it. Thanks Sam! I will update when is all said and done. Gosh this has been a long 4 months haha

• Like Like x 2
  13. I know what you mean. I've never had a problem with a natural evaporation but I live in the desert. Recently we've run across this phenomenon with a couple of others so I'm going to have to start adding cautions for humidity and material dryness. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. anyone know why im not getting notifications, dont even know if there are posts?

15. Hi sam!

Sooo my tinctures have been really potent and great for aches + sleeping, but man oh man do they really put me down! Lol. I was wondering if the fact that ive been using a double boiler to reduce small batches for around 30 mins could be. Causing cbn conversion? Could just be the strains but ya never know.

Also i cant find the old posts from our first conversation where this was discussed, but how much more of an increase did you say you saw with the natural vs the heated decarb, and do natural decarbs take less time with partially decarbed material?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Like Sam, I live in the desert and moisture is a problem I wish I had. One thing I do to speed along the evaporation is place the jar with GD in front of my A.C. in the grow room. This air is very dry and speeds the process without added heat.

• Like Like x 3
  17. No, Bobby, the double boiler should not make any difference in the effects. It doesn't get hot enough for long enough to cause that to happen. The strain will make a great deal of difference. Another thing that might change that is to use less. Cut back on your dosing so that the effects don't overcome your intentions.

There's only an increase in the terpenes with a natural decarb but I haven't put a percentage to it. The terpenes can make a lot of difference in the effects, changing a Sativa to an Indica effect. The natural decarb can finish sooner if already partially decarbed, 3 months instead of 4. :)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Some people use the "anonymity" function which doesn't do notifications but I think it has more to do with a glitch. You can always ask a moderator. :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. I believe this has been a problem for a while now

• Like Like x 3
  20. I did just recently read about how myrcene is the main difference between an indica and a sativa and I must say, that info is absolutely fascinating! Ive been decarbing uncovered because i felt like trapped moisture was hindering the decarb but now im thinking about just air drying my material fully before the decarb and using a cover to try and keep more terps.
    As for the other half of my question, i was wondering if i could maybe decarb around 230 for 30 mins and allow it to decarb naturally the rest of the way to reduce losses.i wouldnt bother if id only be saving myself a month of waiting though.in your lab results, what percentage of thc was lost to cbn on average with the 240f for 40 min decarb? Im wondering if you could get closer to 100% conversion with fewer losses with the sous vide method....

• Like Like x 3