Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. @SadPuppy
    LOL nope. I'd decarbed it a few days before hand so it was ready to go. All I had to do was scoop it from the bucket to the jar, Add the alcohol and shake.
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  2. #16582 SadPuppy, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    I see that you said it was already decarbed, but then at the end of your post you have the oil in the oven for 20 min at 240-250? Wouldn't that count as a double decarb perhaps? I know the last step is to purge the alcohol all the way out, but I wonder if the effects of the medicine would change if you decarbed first, then purged at a lower temp say 100-120?

It would be interesting to see test results on that. What if you decarbed material for weeks or days on end? Would you just have pure CBN & CBD? So many questions.

Also, these isolates are very intriguing. They seem to be their very own world much the same as THC and the like. I figure in 10 years medical will be pieced together chemical by chemical for a very specific illness or disease based on years of trial and error. We are still only scratching the surface and the ocean seems limitless.

SadPup

• Like Like x 1
  3. @SadPuppy
    The longer processing to get the water out really doesn't seem to change or degrade the material any appreciable amount. I know my early batches melted the caps every time but I don't find this set any more of a "Sleeper" then my straight short process time hash caps. The RSO caps are weaker but that's due to my extraction steps.
    Once submerged in oil it takes a long time to affect any real change IMO.
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  4. I recently made some RSO brownies that were excellent and potent, and decarbed during and after purge, not at the beginning and came out with great results.

• Like Like x 2

5. So i finally tried this the other day along with a decarb in a jar and oven bag at the same time, i used 245 for both and my oven thermometer said it was constantly just under 250. I preheated the jar and lid i was using for the sealed decarb, next time I wont preheat the outer metal ring because it was very hard to quickly screw the lid on for me but it was the 1st time trying this too. I also dumped the bud for the sealed decarb into the preheated jar without the lid and let it heat up without the lid for about 2 minutes, was thinking maybe this would help get rid of some moisture but mainly it might help to get the bud and inside of the jar as close to 245 as possible before I sealed it. After it was sealed i only left it in for 40 minutes(wasn't Thinking) but i think i should have gone at least 50 minutes? But I put the sealed jar into the freezer and shook it alot over about 2.5 days until I was ready to make GD. When i opened the jar there wasn't as much smell as I expected, the smells over powering if you open the jar while its warm. But yeah it didn't smell like bud at all it smelled like a light stale fart. And the GD it made has a different smell/taste too, not really bad anymore just different. And i usually get more goldish colored GD normally but this was gold with a orange or red tint to it. I do think this batch might be under decarbed so I'm thinking about just sitting it in a dark place for a couple weeks if I can make it that long before I really start using it. Seems like the effects might not be as strong(again possibly under decarbed?) But I'm sitting here now and i smoked a small bowl of probably 0.1g gorilla glue with some RSO wiped on it and I just took half a dropper of GD about 10-15 minutes ago and its hard to explain it cause I'm not that high at all but I suddenly feel great and have tons of energy too! And normally GD helps alot with my back pain but its almost always still there its just manageable with GD alone normally and I'll try this batch of GD one morning without smoking 1st to give a true report on it but so far I'm very pleased with it especially considering I think its less decarbed then it should be, but leaving the jar sealed until its ready for GD has me very interested in sealed decarbs again. So thanks boocoodinkydow!

And sam i think you might want to try this with like even just a gram to see if you notice a difference too? So far it looks, smells and possibly feels different too.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Thanx for the update, cvc. I have two tinctures from the same material that I've been alternating for the last few days for comparison. They're both from some blue dream that's almost a year old. One is my green dragon that was done with a conventional open decarb and the other was done with the new closed decarb directly to the freezer method, the orange dragon, I guess we can call it. There's definitely a distinct difference in them. I don't sense one is stronger than the other but the orange dragon is much more pleasurable. Varying the dose of the green dragon simply offers a deeper level of sedation. Varying the dosage of the orange dragon is like taking another toke of a really nice sativa strain.

Hind sight points to a couple of points for improvement on my part. The first is to start with some fresher material. I remember seeing some lab tests for terpenes on various ages of material and was amazed at how quickly evaporation happens naturally. There were three tests and I think the oldest had lost almost half the original terpene level in three months. So I know I started out in the hole with my year old weed. I'm hoping to start a new garden when I get back home in about six weeks. I'm anxious to apply this method to some freshly harvested material. The second point of improvement is to forego the reduction process. Some of the terpenes are actually molecularly as volatile as ethanol so I know this was also detrimental to retention. I don't have a problem avoiding reduction and just increase dosage accordingly. In spite of these shortcomings, I'm most pleased with the results of this process and really excited about doing an even better job next time.

Appreciate you trying it out and giving us a report.

• Like Like x 1

7. Yeppers, Stiggy is 100% correct. You wouldn't be "asking people for money" simply putting what you do, and your successes up, will motivate people to "offer" because of the positive you have consistently put out, The GodFlow,will takes care of the rest. Things are only gonna get tighter Brother. Its hard for me to ask for help too...that's just pride messin witcha! Please think about it, and remember denying a donation is stopping another person of the joy of contributing to something they WANT to support. OK?

• Like Like x 2
  8. I appreciate your support, Vinny. And agree with what you say. I understand about accepting assistance from those that feel strongly about it in respect of their wishes even if it goes against the grain of my own feelings. That's for other times and places, though. I've tried to skirt around the true reason why I'm so adamant about not doing it here.

It's against the rules of Grasscity for an OP to solicit the receiving or dispensing of cannabis related funds or products. Charitable non-profit campaigns like hurricane or earthquake relief is okay. We are constantly monitored by the moderators here as well as others in the community. I do not want anything to impede the work everyone has done in service to the cause. I will take no chances of getting the thread locked or myself banned again. It may mean that I stay poor but I can at least be sure that the message stays in play and that is what is important.

Thank you, Vinny and all the others, for thinking of my welfare and it humbles me but please, let's put this topic to bed here on GC. in bed.gif

• Like Like x 2
  9. Whoops sorry
    I did not mean for it to be advertised here on GC.
    Done
    Thanks Sam

Maybe in another Life................................... Johnny

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Hi sam! So ive had a couple batches of dragon oil come out a little weak and i believe its because when I decarbed the herbs they were pretty moist, so maybe they didnt get fully decarbed. Do you think this could be the problem?
    Nonetheless i have a bunch of oil that I'd like to decarb further....can this be done without mixing in another oil(coconut)? If not then i just have to dissolve in oil, heat to about 225f and look out for the bubbles right? Thanks in advance sam!

• Like Like x 1
  11. So how did you decarb, Bobby? You said "dragon oil" ? My definition of "dragon oil" is concentrated coconut oil or MCT oil that's RSO potency. If this is what you have then it's already in a form that you can decarb. If it's RSO that you want to further decarb then that's a little different. If it's already in oil you can heat it at 240°F in an oven for about 2 hours. It may or may not bubble much since it's already partially decarbed. You can decarb it on direct heat at 240° for an hour to finish it.

It doesn't have lecithin in it, does it? Did you use a covered decarb? :huh:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ohhh ok ...by dragon oil i just meant that its oil i got from evaporating some GD.before i made it i decarbed the herbs in the oven in a covered dish, but i got better results from a batch that had been vaped first, and then ran through the same decarb...this makes me wonder if it was moisture from the fresh batch,that caused it to not decarb properly? and no lecithin, does the lecithin cause it to decarb less efficiently? Finally, could i just place the dish its in into a double boiler and finish decarbing the plain oil?

13. You made RSO, Rick Simpson Oil. What was your decarb process, how hot and how long? It's not moisture. Moisture will make the solution cloudy then separate. The reason I asked about lecithin was in case you had made it into coconut oil. Lecithin would make it more difficult to decarb it after the fact.

It's not easy to decarb RSO after the fact and I wouldn't advise it. The reason is all the other plant compounds that will cake to your container at that temperature and length of time. You can finish decarbing if you add an oil like coconut or MCT. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ahh i see, i thought rso was only with the naptha but i see that ethanol is the same. So by adding oil i can pretty safely do the bubble watching thing? And i decarbed the buds with your reccomended 240f for 40 min.thats why i was thinking moisture, because there was a decent amount in the buds.does it matter in your experience if there is moisture or not when decarbing?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Usually the moisture is lost during the decarb unless it's covered in some form. It can cause some cloudiness in a tincture, creating problems. Since you evaporated everything then that's not going to be an issue. I don't know why you need more decarb using that time/temp. That's not logical. How are you using it? How are you comparing it? Are the strains the same? Did you use an oven thermometer?

Sorry about all the questions but if it's already fully decarbed then you could degrade it by heating it more. Let's figure it out first. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lol no problem at all.heres the thing, the strains are the same.and im going to infuse some of it into oil and probably redissolve the rest in fresh everclear for tincture....and it was covered VERY tightly while decarbing.im thinking that could have indeed trappe moisture, and prevented the decarb from working properly.couldnt mositure trapped in the materual prevent it from going over 212f and therefore stop it from even getting to 240f?

17. #16597 PsychedelicSam, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    If you had it tight then there's a good chance it didn't get hot enough for long enough to do the full job. It's the cover that keeps it from getting to 240° which means it takes longer. The moisture doesn't keep it from decarbing as long as the temperature is correct and the time is long enough. If you're covering it you should place it in the oven to heat up as the oven heats so the temperatures match then start your timer. Do you use an oven thermometer?

If you make tincture then it will finish decarbing on it's own. If you want to try to decarb the oil you make then that goes in the oven at 240° for at least 2 hours to convert the rest of the THC.

In the future, after you decarb with a tight lid you should leave the material open so that it can dry. You want your material as dry as you can get it for tinctures and concentrates so you don't get the moisture issues that boocoodinkydow and CV4455 did. :mellow:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Although it was really tightly sealed, it was a super small batch.it was just in a little foil pouch actually , and i did allow it to heat up along with the oven(which was checked with a thermometer) so i think it probably wasnt an issue of not getting hot enough.if it wasnt moisture keeping it from reaching the right temperature, and it wasnt the seal being too tight.l, then im not sure what happened.guess ill have to keep experimenting.

• Like Like x 1
  19. It's your decarb or your material. I don't recommend a foil packet for decarbing but I don't have any specific data to support my feelings on that, maybe when I win the lottery. Using very small amounts can be a challenge and things can have a bigger consequence. We've all been through the learning curve. :ey:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lmao who all remembers the first batch they wasted trying to figure it out?

After some consideration, im pretty convinced its the decarb.ive noticed that everytime a batch comes out like this last one they always taste extra "green" if that makes sense.im going to make sure my starting material is dry just on the off chance that my " moisture trapped in buds" theory might have some affect.as long as i preheat in the oven then it should still get to the right temperature regardless of how well its covered right?