Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. We'll be looking forward to your report. The freezing and shaking does take a few days all total but it sure beats months.:D

2. I'm working on another project with my leftover weed that has already been run twice. I always save my leftovers to make chocolate fiber bars with a kick. Since I use green weed, it always looks as green and leafy when it's finished as when I started. It definitely makes you wonder if it's still got goodies or how much. I've been completely out of smoke for a few days and have had to rely on my tinctures and oil to get me by, but after having smoked for 42 years I still crave a smoke every now and then. Plus, I'm driving up my edible tolerance by using it so often.

I've been staring at 3 ounces of green previously extracted marijuana in my freezer every time I open it up, so it occurred to me to try to wring some more goodness out of it. I let some dry out so that I could smoke some to see if I could cop a buzz. It's a mix of Bubba and Blue Widow. I smoked a couple of small bowls a short while ago and I have a nice buzz. It's not like it would be fresh, but it's still nice. No heaviness as I was expecting from degraded thc. Now that I have that test out of the way, I have taken 2 ounces in a pint jar and filled it with fresh ethanol and am doing the shake, shake, shake.
    I may let this one sit a little longer to try to pull out more since a lot of the chlorophyll has already been removed.

I'll have pictures with the results in a day or two. It may turn out to need much more reduction than the previous runs. If it's still week, I will probably keep it to add to the next batch of fresh in a week or so. If it turns out to be cbn loaded, I can always use it for knock out drops or other specialty uses. :D

3. #123 PsychedelicSam, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    :hello: :hello: :metal:This thread is dedicated to my friend of 30+ years, Ryan, who has second stage MS :metal: :hello: :hello:

It's now time to explain why I'm pursuing this process so diligently. One of my best friends has 2nd stage MS and I feel helpless. He and his wife have helped me through times of kidney failure, dialysis, transplantation and others too numerous to count and I can't return the favor because he is on the other side of the country now, in the boonies. They have none of their old friends around and not a lot of support. There are good reasons they are there, so moving isn't really an option although they want to.

When I first heard rumors that thc was good for MS, I decided then that I would find out all I could and try to perfect a product that could help my friend, as well as thousands of others. I got an extra push when I met one of my sources' wives who is pre-MS and could see how it helped her. She was into oils and she really liked the honey I made for her, said it helped the symptoms.

I first started along the path late last year but had only begun the journey before I had some serious physical issues of my own to take care of first. However, during that period I learned a lot treating myself. Probably more than I would have otherwise. I now know what works, what's hype and what's the real deal, at least as far as processes and techniques are concerned. Since I was dealing with neuroskeletal pain instead of a neural disease like MS, I can't pretend to know exactly what will help my friend but I now have the experience and knowledge to actively participate in anything that will make his life a little easier.

I have to give a lot of credit to Grass City and all the good and bad comments I've received during my journey and no matter how negative things got, I still pushed on and learned from them. Then I started work on this thread and it allowed me to pull in all the things that I've learned and even didn't realize that I'd learned. In an effort to help others gain an awareness of the benefits of this method, it has helped me even more. Thank you, GC:wave:

They are living in a state that's still in the stone age and any kind of weed is scarce, let alone legal and don't have a way to pursue this, so I arranged to get some of this batch to them, never mind how. I sent honey elixir and raspberry GD and some of the cream. They just received it and have tried the honey so far and really liked it. They were surprised with the quality and the pleasant difference in the feeling. They'll try the GD tomorrow. I hadn't told them what I was doing or the real reason why. I wanted to make sure that they liked it and it worked for them before I exposed my grand plan. They aren't computer literate and really had only heard talk about thc and MS. I explained my initial plan of treatment and since it wasn't too hard and resulted in a good buzz, they went with it. I just want him to initially titrate a dose and do it daily until he runs out. They have about 3 weeks worth and then we'll see if there's any help. Now that I know they got it, I'll send more.

There is still a lot to learn, specifically about ways to customize the product like BKS has done and occasionally mentions. Thanks to her I know not to send him things too cerebral like a heavy sativa, but a good indica or hybrid would be good. All along the way, I'll post those things I've learned as well as all the things I continue to do for myself and those of you who wish to participate and may have requests of your own.

I'm writing this now because I now have the confidence that I can come out of the closet, so to speak, and expose my grandiose plan without being concerned others think I'm crazy. Remember, I'm not crazy, I'm a Pisces:ey:. We started treatment today and the die is cast. This will be a private matter and won't be a topic of the thread, but I will post updates. Thanks, everyone.

:metal::metal:This is for you, Ryan. Hang in there, buddy and thanks for being you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Just a little side note. I went to my first Medical Marijuana Farmers Market today. Never in my wildest dreams of 40 years ago did I ever truly believe that this day would come. Hallelujah! :yay:. Had a great brownie there, too. :D

5. #125 PsychedelicSam, Oct 7, 2012
    I call this the Depletion Run

As I mentioned a couple of posts above, I tried wringing the most I could get out of my leftover reefer. I didn't really wring it but I did deplete it. I have been asked privately if I was sure all the goodies were out after 2 runs and I always said there would be a little left. That's why I always saved my leftovers to use in other things and don't like to waste any of it. After having my jars of leftover green weed staring me in the face every time I open the freezer, I thought the thread could push this a little more and just illustrate the results.

1 ounce I used has been left wet and stored in the freezer for 2 months and the other ounce for 1 month, also wet. So all that time, it was sitting in a small amount of alcohol which couldn't evaporate so it had to absorb thc and other cannabinoids instead. To this jar with 2 ounces of weed, I added about 10 or 11 fluid ounces of Everclear and shook it and then shook it periodically for another day and a half. Ordinarily, I wouldn't leave it in the alcohol that long because it pulls more of the chlorophyll, but one of the freezer methods I found did have it together for 2-3 days. I used it this time to ensure that as much of the active ingredients were absorbed as possible since most had already been collected in the previous runs. Also, for a couple of ounces of fresh weed, I would use about 24fl oz of alcohol, so this is half of that to try to get a stronger wash.

I first determined that there was some potency left by smoking some of the dried weed. It wasn't as it had been originally, but it still had a nice buzz, especially since I was out of smoke at the time. It was as green as it was originally so it's easy to see how folks might think it's still got legs. During the course of the wash, the plant matter started turning a little brown and started breaking down a little more than after the previous runs. When I strained and filtered it, I was looking for trichome husks for some proof that there was still something left. What I found was about what I found when I made the 7g recipe and nowhere near what one would usually get with 2 ounces. That gave me a clue on how much thc was left, and I'm expecting a large amount of cbn and other lower compounds. It could very well be that I'll just use all this for some pain cream. I tell you right now, there's nothing good left now judging how the leftover plant material looks. I've seen depleted weed a lot and this definitely has that look and feel. This bunch is going in the trash this time and I don't need more fiber bars.

1) This is the some of the leftover pot from my freezer after the alcohol has evaporated. This pic doesn't show it too well, but the reefer looks exactly as it did after I took out of the food processor. It had a nice buzz, but nothing to write home about. Depletion run1.jpg

2) This is when I've finished the shaking after a day and a half before straining and filtering. Notice how dark it is. Depletion run2.jpg

3) This is after the strain and filter. I got about 10 fluid ounces. It's as dark now before reduction as a standard batch after. I tried a dropper full in some water and it kicked my ass. Had to take a nap. Expected that since half of it is Bubba buds plus the other compounds. Depletion run3.jpg

4) and 5) This is after reduction. It went a little further than half because I was a little slow on the draw, so I got 4.5 fluid ounces of what appears to be a wicked brew. I'll try it tomorrow. Depletion run4.jpg Depletion run5.jpg

So here's what I'm getting at. This definitely shows that there may be a reason to save your leftovers until you have enough to make a batch like this. It would not have been worthwhile just using the 7g with the same amount of alcohol. It would have been weak and delayed your end product. This was 2 ounces and I only netted as much as this 7g process. I still will only be using 2 runs but saving the leftovers to make creams and salves occasionally. This is enough to make several months of it and not have to use my fresh product. I might use it for sleeping caps, too, since the dilute stuff knocked me right out. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Here's a little bit of a cosmic outlook on tinctures as spiritual fulfillment. I think they've spiked their tincture.:D. But it really makes me miss the day when I might experiment.:(

Timeless tinctures | Cannabis Culture

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Here's another follow-up link about other types of herbal non-canna tinctures that can be added for colds, flu, energy and other things. You would just customize a portion of your batch with the other herbs to make your potion. At the "Farmers Market" yesterday I saw some that were doing that. Just another way to medicate: making: elderberry glycerin tincture

8. #128 Tihspeed, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2012
    [quote name='"PsychedelicSam"']Here's another follow-up link about other types of herbal non-canna tinctures that can be added for colds, flu, energy and other things. You would just customize a portion of your batch with the other herbs to make your potion. At the "Farmers Market" yesterday I saw some that were doing that. Just another way to medicate: making: elderberry glycerin tincture[/quote]

Whoa....where do you get one of those sweet coffee filter holder strainer things?

Never mind....I can just use part of my dedicated coffee filter.....thanks for posting this

9. I was wondering that, too, when I saw it. It looks like a gallon or half gallon milk jug with the bottom cut off would be the same. Just set your filter in it. I've done that a few times and it works great.

I've been planning to add this for a while but lost it. Found it again. It's set off light bulbs in my head.:D

10. Looks like a coffee filter set in a rounded funnel to me.
    Amazing thread...still lurking and reading :)

11. Thank you and please, lurk to your heart's content:D.

12. #132 PsychedelicSam, Oct 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
  13. #133 PsychedelicSam, Oct 8, 2012
    Lecithin Notes

Lecithin is a common component in many edible recipes these days and it hasn't yet been addressed here.
    Lecithin.jpg Lecithin granules.jpg
    You don't want to use lecithin in your GD. However, if you are going to make some butter or oil for edibles or caps, you may then want to include lecithin for the added bioavailability.

3 types of lecithin are commonly available: powder, granules and liquid. Granules seem to be the easiest to find, but powder can be bought at bulk health food outlets. When I use it, I use granules and found them easy to work with. You don't have to crush them up first because they dissolve with a little heat or stirring.

.5 teaspoon per fluid ounce of infused medium such as oil or butter seems to be the general consensus.

Add your lecithin after the solvent transfer is complete. Stir it occasionally if needed.

Remember, adding lecithin or other ingredients to your infused medium will dilute the end product somewhat and should be taken into consideration when dosing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Depletion run update

Over the last few days I have been using the GD collected from my "depletion run" almost exclusively except for a little smoking. I have been using it for wake and bake as well as throughout the day a couple of times and then at bedtime so that I could get a well rounded opinion.

I really like it! I was expecting a heavy body buzz with knockout, or at least couchlock, effects. Not the case with this. It really has a nice head, very cerebral and I've been trying to figure out why. It's also why I've waited so long to post my conclusions. I needed to get the same results multiple times and I did. And I really wish I knew why so that I could duplicate it again. If I had my druthers, I'd rather be cerebral than couchlocked. But I've only had Indicas lately and have become resigned to it. However, a few months ago I had used an ounce of great Sativa popcorn for a batch. I had also made a heavy Indica batch at the same time. Because I was still in the research phase of this thread, I used them for blending experiments and never really pursued the Sativa GD as a tincture until it was nearly too late. I do still have a little of one of the high Sativa blends I made and I use it when I want to be active. This batch is a lot like that.

I think I may have confused myself with all the leftovers I have sitting in my freezer. I thought the other ounce I used had been Bubba Kush leftovers but I have since found another container that may have been the Bubba and the one I used may have been the Sativa. Hell, I've still got over an ounce in the freezer. Pot luck!

Whether it was Sativa or Indica, a couple of points are clear.

First, there seems to have been no excessive breakdown of the thc over the extended time into cbn and other lower compounds. The effects are clear and bright.

Secondly, there is no apparent increase in chlorophyll or other unpleasant flavors as may be expected from the increased time in solution even after 2 runs. However, just the opposite seems to be case. If you recall, I mentioned the chlorophyll taste of the recipe batch was strong due to my lapse in drying better and I had to work to overcome that. It could also have been because it was all leaf and trim this time with no bud. I had never had that taste before. Well, this run has no chlorophyll taste at all and even tastes a little like the other bud I used. It tastes goood, to be truthful.

Another explanation for the heady effects is the size of the trichomes remaining by that final wash. It's still kind of murky, but from what I've gathered from my research, the largest trichomes are the most mature and potent. This is how harvest time is determined and is also the principle behind bubble bags, and someone please set me straight if I'm wrong about this. I'm old school and haven't had the opportunity to fully explore the concept. And that concept is this, each layer of the bag captures trics by descending size, which each layer used for various purposes based on potency. The higher levels are used for the most potent products with the highest thc percentages and would be used for smoking and other concentrates. Middle layers are good for edibles while the lower levels are used for topicals and other applications. The best hash is made from the top 2 levels, or so I hear.

That applies here because of my observation of the trichome husks that came out in the wash, so to speak. They appeared to be smaller and more compact. The first 2 filters caught next to nothing, but in each container they would settle out and compact on the bottom. During previous washes, the husks were caught at each level and didn't compact on the bottom, instead staying fluid while resting on the bottom and easily disturbed. The final paper filter caught the bulk of the husks. And to extend this, it is common understanding among my grower friends, even for Indicas, that you can adjust the headiness of your crop by harvesting earlier and vice versa. Hopefully I've pieced this together right.

One thing to which I cannot attribute the difference in head is decarbing. BKS says not decarbing causes a more cerebral effect. All leftovers in this project had previously been decarbed.

Before I go on to make a potency report, I want to reiterate that this is leftovers and you'll need a few leftover batches to make it worth doing for a quality end product. I used about a 1:4 ratio of alcohol to weed and then reduced it by over half to get this pleasant tincture. And I don't need to flavor it.

Drum roll, please....I have been using 8 drops each time I've used it, about 6 or 7 times the last few days. It is very good and has given me a truly pleasant glow throughout the day. I really like it at bedtime. I had expected to be put to sleep but instead I felt like I was floating on clouds and was able to fully relax and coast the astral plane for a while. Love it. Last night I tried it again, 8 drops, with the same results and awakened refreshed this morning.

I like this so much that I think I'll keep it as a tincture instead of making a lot of cream out of it, unless I run out. The idea of the tincture tasting like the source marijuana strain is worth pursuing. I have seen some references to this but nothing definitive, so I'm going to track it down. There should be a way to adapt that concept to this tincture method, so stay tuned.:smoke:

15. the last five updates have been very solid... I like the Lecithin post... I got some liquid and I didn't add it to my GD not knowing if it were a good move...

I love this thread, PLUS rep if i could.. i will as fast as i can

16. Thanks, man, that means a lot to me. More than rep, I'm proud that I was able to offer a product that you would want to make. And even more proud that you made it and liked it. I wish I could do more faster, but I need a sponsor for that. In the meantime I'll keep plugging along, satisfying my curiosity and gaining a deeper Ganja experience for my soul. :D And then sharing it.
    I saw your liquid and that's what spurred my memory. I already had the pics ready but I just kept forgetting to write it.

17. Hey blades!

I've been looking for a thread on making tinctures and looks like i stumbled upon a good one. I'm looking for a tut on how to make a tinc with reclaim. Do any of you have experience with making tinctures with oils? Does it need to soak just until it all absorbs into the alcohol?

Any help would be much appreciated, and I'll be sure to post my results here:smoke:

18. Welcome, kushMan89! I hope we can help achieve your goals:D. Unfortunately, though, it seems your questions are beyond the purview of this thread, which revolves around this specific method of preparation using the freezer. That wouldn't be ideal for trying to get oils absorbed into your tincture. That would take some initial heat.

When you say "reclaim", do you mean bong reclaim, abv, or are you turning that to oil? Or do you mean infusing oils? We do discuss infusing oils here as well as other tinctures. While this freezer method might not be the true method for your purposes, you can find some guidance here. Just ask. In the meantime, I'll see if I can find a couple of links to help you. :D

19. Thanks for the response! Any ideas are great. I'm just experimenting. When I say reclaim I mean rig claim from vaping oil. I had no idea that freezing it would help with infusion. Interesting...I was gonna try just letting it soak in some grain alcohol.

20. The freezing works with raw weed because it causes the trichomes to fall off which are then easier for the alcohol to dissolve. That wouldn't work with hashes or oils because those trics have already been collected and the cold alcohol would inhibit absorption instead of helping it.

How much are you wanting to make? I would think your oil reclaim would be more concentrated than bud vape remains. You would need to collect a few times more. I saw a thread somewhere the other day about making tincture from reclaim. It was another site, but I'll try to find it and post it here for you. Give me a couple of days.:smoke:

• Like Like x 1