Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. hello Sam and crew, hope all is well with you ?
    would you please help me with the recipe for the Cannabis Root Oil ? I see the ratio is one cup root to two cups evco.... please clarify if the root needs to be dried or fresh ? Whole, chopped, or pureed ? and how long do I steep in the crock pot ? Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 2
  2. Dried is best, earl, then you can easily store them, too. I like to chop it up, keeping as many of the fine hairs as possible and any that are too gnarly to chop, I slice the skin to expose the inner tissue. If you use hydro then they're much easier to clean.

I let mine steep 18-24 hours. They'll be deep fried when they're finished and smell woody, very pleasant aroma. If it gets late then I just leave them on warm or turned off until I get up. Then just strain them and then filter the remaining oil through cheesecloth, especially if they were from soil. Your oil should be an offwhite, creamy color. It's pretty easy, all around. :)

• Like Like x 7
  3. 3 ounces is quite a bit, at least for me. I hope that didn't take too large of a chunk from your resources. Those all sound like plausible remedies. Good luck and we will be very interested in the results. :)

• Like Like x 4
  4. 3oz is a lot for me also and will mean I have nothing smokable, which is fine. If the tinicture works all is well. This may be the first time in two years I have to go purchase some. Which will suck because you have to buy a full ounce. Bleh.

Sometimes a big loss is needed to kick you in the pants I guess. Just means no harvest, drying, or curing during away times. I need to plan better. Before next chop I also plan to improve my dry and curing set up.

I should have taken pics for you all. Sorry guess I was a bit embarrassed and mad at myself. We are on day three of the bath. The water just looks very dirty tap water in a large city... In the bad part of town

sent via my pet rock...

• Like Like x 2
  5. My kitchen is beginning to get very interesting. LOL. I have my big pot with ground chuck browning on one side of the stove, as I am making chili tonight (have not made it since we had all 5 kids still at home, so it's been a while), and on the other side of the stove, I am infusing some coconut oil for my daughter's boyfriend's grandmother. She used some of my tincture to titrate her dose, but even such a small amount of alcohol irritates her stomach. So, I am making coco caps for her, and likely a few for myself.

And interestingly enough, I may have talked my way into another patient or 2 in the near future. Another couple who had originally planned to grow for themselves, but who have not had the funds to put forward to get started (boy does it get pricey fast). While at the chiro, we were discussing meds, of course the MMJ came up, which triggered almost a 45 minute conversation in itself. She mentioned that they have not been able to, so I mentioned that I still have room to accept up to 3 more patients (by law). Whether they choose to list me as their caregiver or not, matters not. If they want pain cream or other products, I'll have no issue with selling to them. Gots to have your own network, right? :p

Okay. I'm sure the beef is ready to be stirred again.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Just FYI, the chili came out FANTASTIC. :p

• Like Like x 2
  7. It sounds like you're networking pretty well there. Tupperware could learn something from you. Oops, I just aged myself with that reference but there really is no better proselytizer than a new medical cannabis convert and somehow the subject just comes up.

It's a great time of year for chili con carne. Just give me some oyster crackers with it and I'm content on a chilly day. Since I've moved to the desert and the days don't get very cool here, my chili making days have taken a hit so have a bowl for me, too. :yummy:

• Like Like x 3
  8. #13188 STIGGY, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
    Fuller brush man Too

What's That LOL
    Sam Knows

• Like Like x 1
  9. I do, along with the Watkins man. When I was a kid in the '50's that was the way households worked. There weren't any large box stores like now and many home items were bought through the door to door salesmen and things like the Tupperware parties. My mom would drag me to those kicking and screaming. I won't include the milkman in this category since that was a regular commercial route but that milk in the bottles was great. :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. We loved making ice cream with the cream that would float on top on winter morning
    Just added a little vanilla and wallah great stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Happy New Year to All!!

Sam,

Is there any difference between eating a brownie that contains 1/2 gram of cannabis with using a capsule (or GD ) of the same strength?

If there are differences could you please let me know, both pro and con?

Thanks Sam, from me and for all of the people who live better, more comfortable lives than before they/we met you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Id wait for a for sure answer from sam but for me coconut oil infusions take about 30-45 mins to kick in and last 5+ hrs for me even reaching up to 8 hrs sometimes. With GD it hits quick and lingers for an hr or two. Its all about what your end goals are for example if want fast onset GD is way to go or if want long relief id go with coconut oil. Hope this helps a little:)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 4
  13. [​IMG]

Wishing you all the best!!

• Like Like x 4
  14. #13195 PsychedelicSam, Jan 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Happy new year to you, too, smf.

There's not really any difference in the dose technically. 500mg of cannabinoids is 500mg of cannabinoids no matter the method of intake. Your body receives the same dose but the differences come from the mode of ingestion and the bioavailablity of the medium, as Bloomer mentioned above.

Sugars seem to process the fastest, almost immediately after eating but because it's metabolized so fast, it also wears off quicker, more of a burst than an extended psychoactive effect but the physical effects continue. It's as bioavailable as alcohol in my opinion and if a high dose is ingested it can last for quite some time but usually not as long as the other methods. The good thing about this is that you can dose for acute pain on a situational basis instead of being committed to a regimen. Honey and agave do have long term effects but infused sugar and syrups are great for acute situations and recreational use. I think the difference in longevity between honey/agave and sugar/syrup is that the former is fructose and the latter is sucrose,

GD is the best of them all for me. It lasts as long as lipids and arrives a lot faster. Due to the very quick uptake the dose for it is a lot less than other mediums that have to pass further through the digestive system. My dose of GD is less than half of what I use for an edible or a cap for the same effect. That may seem like that's a contradiction to dosing being the same but it's not, really.

Lipids are the best for therapeutic applications, psychoactive and otherwise. and that is due to the way they're metabolized. They pretty much stay in a higher concentration than other mediums since they don't break down until close to the liver where they are processed together. Other mediums are metabolized as they come through which spreads out the rate of assimilation. The higher concentration of cannabinoids provides a bigger punch for pain and other major medical issues. Of course, coconut oil is the lipid of choice.

While I say I only use half as much for a dose of GD as opposed to edibles/oil, I don't use GD the same way. I don't use it to treat chronic issues since I don't really have any other than pain. I may use 15 drops of GD, about 10mg, or a 30mg hard candy for daytime functionality but it's 30-60mg dose of coconut oil for the heavy duty pain to get me through the night. For the same level of effects I would need the same amount of GD. I also use it when pain or inflammation flares and is sticking around for a while; I equate it to when I ordinarily would have taken a high dose opiate. For me, infused coconut oil, whether DO or lower concentration, is my main weapon for pain and inflammation and GD/other edibles is for "breakthrough".

Of course GD and the other mediums have more uses than just pain control and I have a whole array of things I use them for. Interestingly enough, getting "high" is no longer a goal. I'm no longer concerned if I "feel" it as long as the pain, inflammation or other issue responds. I no longer need to keep increasing the doses. I have finally been able to overcome the notion that it's not working if you don't get "high" - a leftover sentiment from the "old school" days when everything was about the psychoactivity.

It's come time in your evolution to start tuning up your personal regimen. You've come a long way and have learned all of the theory and mechanical aspects of cannabis therapy and now it's time to take that and turn it inward If you can put aside a small amount, a gram or two maybe, each month until you have enough for a small experiment and use it in comparison with your normal infusions. Do this over a course of time. Take notes, a journal. It's taken me almost five years to discover the nuances When you reach this level, the learning curve becomes more personal and trying to explain it becomes much more esoteric. I still purposely get "high" but just use toking for that. :)

• Like Like x 6
  15. Psam you couldn't of said it any better. Ive been loving the low dose edibles/caps lately. Ate an edible with more than a gram worth of bud in it over the holidays and white knuckled it.:(

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 4
  16. What's Up?
    A Preview of
    Coming Attractions
    3dtunnel (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).jpg
    It's been a really interesting and successful year for us. We've learned a lot of things about a lot of things. A lot of very important decarb knowledge has come from it as well as new and improved knowledge about CBD and the other compounds from cannabinoids to terpenes to using concentrates for tinctures and edibles.

While my economic situation continues on it's downward spiral I still intend to find ways to keep this thread active and involved in continuing exploration into all of the nooks and crannies of cannabis architecture and making what we've learned available to all. I have not come close to running out of questions that I want answered.

Now that we've gotten the decarb stuff pretty well nailed, both THC and CBD, heated and natural, all that's left is for me to do a heated decarb to match OldRose's and I think we can put that to bed as far as a priority is concerned. There will be more coming but the CBD will just be a side note on those.

You may have noticed by the tone of some previous posts that I have become increasingly interested in terpenes and that is the new focus, at least for the immediate future, of my continuing natural process research. This month's last test for the AC/DC will include the terpenes. The new research will not be comparing month to month progression like the THC/CBD but will instead include the raw tincture then the final cured GD after 4 months.

I have been conducting terpene results off and on for a while so I must have had this in the back of my mind all along. I'll go through those and get them in some kind of order then start highlighting those. Many are from heated decarb and I'm not sure I have any from the Dark Star or Pakistani naturals but whether I do or not, I will have others soon, both high-CBD and high-THC.

While this is the main focus for the research, I also want to go through and update the guides. I've been looking at them and realized that they are way out of date and need to be rejuvenated with new, fresh pictures and a video wherever possible. I don't want to substitute concentrate guides instead because whole plant is where the magic is. The concentrate guides are just for convenience and a nod to the new technology. It's going to take a slight miracle for me to get the resources to do things like that but it has been known to happen.

I also look forward to answering the same questions over and over again by new readers. I do not get tired of it. The more that it happens the happier I am. it means more and more people are discovering the wonders of cannabis. I love it. Bring 'em on!

I'm sure there will be many other fascinating topics of discussion as we go forward if the past years have been any indications. :pimp:

PS. I had the gif of the 3d tunnel at the top but I was afraid that it might trigger a seizure in someone so I made it a jpeg instead. The original is below.
    3dtunnel (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 8
  17. Sam,

Thanks for your answer.

I see dosing advantages for edibles and capsules. However, for home use the caps have less calories than even the agave sweetened cake.

Thanks for your encouragement regarding explorations. I am trying to decide on a strain for a natural decarb experiment. the leading choices are the 24% THC (50-50 sativa-indica) or the 10-12% THC/CBD.

Would there be any benefit to making a heated decarb GD (same strain) that would then go into the freezer until the natural decarb GD is ready? Sort of side by side comparison for taste and effects?

• Like Like x 3
  18. Cant wait to see what you figure out about the terps
    should be another interesting one Love your work & the GD :D

Thank you Sam!

• Like Like x 4
  19. If calorie consumption is a factor then capsules definitely have less calories than anything that has so much carbohydrates like cakes and cookies and many other edibles. Hard candy and GD probably have less than most ingestibles.

I would suggest using a strain that you've already made using a heated decarb and that you already use regularly, something you're very familiar with, whether a high THC or low. You'll want to continue to use it regularly as you wait for the natural to fully cure but keep enough aside so that you'll have it for a direct side by side when the time comes. Don't store it in the freezer because you'll winterize it and lose some of those other waxes. Just refrigerate it in a brown or blue dropper bottle.

Use the heated decarb version enough that you know exactly how it affects you and maybe make a simple scorecard to rate the results, similar to the 1-10 scale from the pain doc's office to clarify it in your mind if that helps. Note your dosages in drops, milliliters, ounces or whatever, being sure that you keep it consistent for comparison's sake. Does a 10 drop dose of natural provide a more noticeable effect than the heated and so on and so on. That's something only you can ascertain. I can say all day that I can notice a difference but I can't really explain it easily. It's subtle but strong.

There's absolutely no comparison, though, between concentrates and whole plant extractions with the whole plant taking all the awards. I doubt that natural decarb of shatter and other concentrates is very beneficial overall since terpene extraction with those methods is minimal at best. :)

• Like Like x 2