Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. I feel I can't in good conscience make this into something consumed. So besides the horse lineament that I've used since I was a child, and the salve any other suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. Psam the mannnn! Thanks

3. Psam the mannnn! Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  4. That's not nice after he's taken the time out to answer your question.... some people pay attention to detail which makes all the difference... and there is a lot of detail involved. It would have taken you less words to just say thanks... you must have the same rambling problem!

• Like Like x 3
  5. That's not nice after he's taken the time out to answer your question.... some people pay attention to detail which makes all the difference... and there is a lot of detail involved. It would have taken you less words to just say thanks... you must have the same rambling problem!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sam, in you ingredients list you've started with 1/2 cup..... half cup of what?

7. Sam, in you ingredients list you've started with 1/2 cup..... half cup of what?

8. #13168 PsychedelicSam, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    Sorry. Sugar is it. I guess I should fix that, huh? :rolleyes:

It's not a bad idea to practice with just plain alcohol added to the mix instead of GD to see how it works and that way you don't mess up the infusion if there's a hiccup.

• Like Like x 6
  9. I was actually thinking along the same lines. Ta

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sorry, drawing a blank on that one, no experience being to blame. :blink:

• Like Like x 2
  11. My advice is worth just about as much as you pay for it. I'm no microbiologist or food safety guru. Here's my 2¢.

When it comes to Asperillgus or any other pathogen, I wouldn't dream of trying to ID it myself. If it were easy, no one would need a degree in microbiology. Here's the advice from 4 PhD's:
    "...certain Aspergillus species can cause invasive lung disease. Invasive pulmonary aspergillosis is
    extremely hard to diagnose and to treat, and the mortality rate is quite high. In addition, there is a known clinical association between Cannabis smoking and pulmonary aspergillosis. ...Aspergillus is ubiquitous, but the majority of Aspergillus species are not pathogenic. There are hundreds of species in this genus, and most of them are harmless. The species thought to be responsible for the vast majority of cases of human aspergillosis are these: A. fumigatus, A. flavus, A. terreus, A. niger, and potentially A. nidulans. A. fumigatus alone is likely responsible for about 75% of Aspergillus infections in the U.S. All four of these species should be tested for. Samples that test positive for any of them should be returned to the producer. Returned samples cannot easily be sterilized because of the hardiness of fungal spores, and they should not be sold. However, they can reasonably be used for concentrate production destined for edibles." http://cannabissafetyinstitute.org/...icrobiological-Safety-Testing-of-Cannabis.pdf

Healthy people should have no problem killing off Aspergillus that they inhale. But then there are those of us with chronic lung conditions or other health conditions that we may or may not know about. Why take the risk?

Here's a little study done with heated ethanol that shows a short heating period kills Aspergillus niger in the test tube. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/stor...st&s=b9f033fc51fb456117df30d969ea99808dbdba0d

If dope were hard to come by, I'd air dry it out of the jar, decarb it at 240℉ for 40 minutes, make GD, and then condense the GD by boiling it for 10 minutes at ≥160℉. Then I'd use the GD to make an edible. My thinking is that decarb heat + heated ethanol will do some serious damage to fungal spores. Presumably, if you're healthy, your stomach acid will take care of any survivors. I personally wouldn't use it for smoking or for topicals. You might be dispersing fugal spores while you whip up your balm, plus you'd store it at room temperature.

My approach to pathogens on bud is to cull it brutally at the time of harvest. I grow outdoors, so pathogens aren't especially plentiful other than botrytis. If I find anything I don't like, I don't necessarily destroy the entire kola, but I cut out a big margin around anything that doesn't look perfect. After hanging to dry, before trimming, I make a second pass looking for any bud that doesn't look perfect. I trim under bright LED lights and eliminate anything that I wouldn't want to display in a glass case.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Well, I am not smoking it or letting anyone else. We found three forms of people that had different methods I intergraded them all together and am working on it now. First step I placed all on cookie sheet and in the oven at 100 c. For 5 min which did seem to kill off most of what u could see. Then I flipped them around and back in for another 5 min. That was one person's fix. The next is water bath which I never did b4 and makes a small sad in me but if I get something usable it will be worth it. This person put a tsp of baking soda in distilled water and changed the water twice with this mix in 24 hours. This is the step I am at, just changed the second round. The first water change looked like tea. The rest all said water bath so for the next few days it sits. 4-7 days tell water is clear they say. Drain and then immediately dry in the oven... Which I think I will just straight decarb at this point once initially dry. Honestly the mold had barely started, but I just can't in good conscience consume it as it stood, or let anyone else. I will keep u posted on the next steps I do.

Good point rose one the salve. Maybe I'll make tinicture with it. My edibles sit in freezer so maybe I'll just leave as tinicture. So linament and tinicture it is.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  13. Hey sam!
    first id like to thank you for all the amazing information and technique you are sharing with us, thank you!

i had something weird happen when i was making a tincture and thought perhaps you would have some idea of whats going on.

as i said i have been working on making a tincture and while working on the reduction i accidental let it go too long and ended up with a very concentrated dark liquid, not unlike what ive seen in videos where they make rick simpson oil, it was very dark and thick.
    anyway, trying to dilute it back to a tincture i added a bit of 96% grain alcohol and mixed. then to reduce the alcohol levels i also added a bit of water which immediately turned the whole concoction an opaque milky light green color.
    long story short, i let it sit for a day and it looks like some separation has happened. there is a black oily sludge on the bottom and the rest is a pale green/yellow liquid.
    IMG_0327.jpg
    do you have an idea of whats going on here? im assuming the black stuff is where all the goodies are but i honestly have no idea.

any insight or thoughts would be appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Welcome to my parlor, Sc00byD00bie.

If you're making tincture, why did you reduce it to oil if you were using 96% alcohol? That's usually done when using 151 proof. The water doesn't mix at all but it won't hurt your oil. Place your bowl in a dark cabinet uncovered until the water evaporates then you're back to the oil. At that point you can reconstitute it with fresh alcohol to the potency you want.

You can heat it again on low heat to speed up the process if you want. Water and alcohol don't mix when cannabis is included in the equation. How much material did you use and how strong do you want it? :)

• Like Like x 4
  15. Hey Sam thanks for the reply.
    The reduction to oil was a mistake, I simply forgot to take it off the heat in time, it wasnt intentional.
    So if I understand correctly the black stuff is still the concentrated oil and it just didn't mix with the alcohol and water I added? That makes sense actually.

This was a very small amount of 2grams so no big deal but I'll evaporate it like you suggested and then add the alcohol back.
    Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  16. Yeah, that happens from time to time. Why did you want to dilute the alcohol? Is that because it burns and you were trying to get past that? :huh:

17. i was making it for a family member that needs it to treat nausea and i wanted to give her a tincture she could use sub lingual so it would act faster.

edit: oh you asked about why i diluted. yeah it was too strong i was afraid it would be too harsh for her.

18. Oh, that's an easy one, SD. If it's two grams use about a half ounce of alcohol to reconstitute the oil then when she doses, put a few drops in a shot glass of water and have her swish it in her mouth for as long as she can before swallowing. No burn, no harshness and just the flavor of the buds. It's just like a sublingual without the burn. It works real well. That's the way I do it when I want sublingual. I'm a wuss and don't like the burn otherwise. :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. brilliant! i will do just that, thank you sam!

• Like Like x 1