Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Hi, Sam and everyone. I have a friend who told me that the honey elixir really disagreed with her. She tried it twice. I'm assuming it's the chlorophyl? What's that about, do we know? Why do we assume it's the chlorophyl instead of something else? People eat green vegetables every day with no ill effects.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I don't know. I've never had that issue and I've given it to a lot of people. There shouldn't be that much chlorophyll in it. How did it "disagree"? :huh:

Btw, I'm working on the high-CBD lab tests, yours and mine, and hopefully will have them edited and ready to post soon.

• Like Like x 4
  3. I'm mystified. I thought there were a number of posts here about removing green from GD because the green bothers some users. Isn't that why some people add water and freeze their tincture?

I'll try to enquire delicately tomorrow, when I see her. She said she's going to the doctor about a related what-I- assumed is a digestive issue. Cannabinoid hypermesis is a real thing but is associated with heavy use, and that doesn't apply.

Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yes, there is a lot about that in here, mainly from Budd, but some people are sensitive to it. I was just responding generally. There shouldn't be enough chlorophyll to cause issues in most people. How did it "disagree" with her? Nausea, headaches, smell, taste...what? If it's just one person among multitudes then it more than likely is something specific to that person. :)

• Like Like x 5
  5. Not that I've made any honey, but I've notice that when I make agave that it picks up a really sulphous smell and taste. It seems to happen with every batch. The GD tastes fine, but after the transfer it just has an off taste..... Hope thats all it is. I'v also noticed that if I take it on an emtpy stomach that it tends to gurgle a bit....

• Like Like x 2
  6. The concentrated agave is bitter and has a molasses smell and taste and I think that is due to the loss of moisture during the hard infusion of a concentrated product. That's why I prefer to use less concentration now for general use. That taste and smell of the concentrate can turn some people off. It tastes like sweet RSO and RSO, even sweet, is not a pleasant taste. And if you use dark agave it's amplified.

That's why I was asking about the issue with the honey since it could be physical or esthetic. A lot of people don't like the taste of agave anyway. :confused_2:

• Like Like x 6
  7. It's not really a "recipe"; it's a simple solvent transfer. I have a guide for that but it's over 4 years old and needs a major facelift. I've written it elsewhere within other guides and videos but the original one is kind of obsolete. I no longer use clarified butter or ghee unless a recipe calls for it but the process is still pretty much the same. It's the same as coconut oil and really just a matter of evaporating the alcohol after you've mixed your GD and butter to the ratio you want. :)

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it

• Like Like x 6
  8. Another note about honey elixir is that while a teaspoon weighs 7 grams (Thanks Sam for that info) in practice I have never gotten 1 teaspoon that was not covered with "extra" honey.

I think that a 350 gram bottle of honey should be considered somewhere at about 35 doses maybe less.

Not complaining about my doses, just an observation.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Here's what I learned. My friend is suffering from a gastro-intestinal complaint that causes sudden unpredictable upset, and if she isn't in a lou, it ain't pretty. Her dr's appointment has been scheduled. And apparently, about half an hour after using honey elixir, she had an attack. This happened twice. So there is an underlying condition. Honey elixir could have been a trigger, or it could have been coincidence. There is no contamination of my honey that I'm aware of.
    I should have added that she also has a chronic eye problem and is using steroid eye drops. I don't think there is an interaction between the honey and the eye drops, but steroids spread throughout the body, even from eye drops, and they are powerful medicine that could somehow be implicated.

10. Do you know if she has the same reaction to plain honey? It could be the honey itself. I know that's possible for agave because it can be hard to digest for some. Cannabis itself is also hard to digest. :)

• Like Like x 4
  11. Good question. It didn't occur to me, sorry.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Congratulations
    Bob Dylan
    Nobel Prize for Literature

• Like Like x 10
  13. For the last couple of months i get an upset stomach or a sudden loose bowel movement the rest of the day if i consume any honey or tinctures. I could very well have ibs because im pretty sure those two are triggers. Just been dealing with it on my own:( Ive been making very concentrated coconut oil when i make edibles. I kinda know her problem and Im sending good vibes right now.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thanks! I'm reading that fructose and alcohol can be a triggers for IBS, and honey can be about half fructose. We'll wait on a diagnosis, but this is good to know.

• Like Like x 3
  15. High-CBD Natural Decarb Progression Project
    AC/DC - 2 Month
    Ringo's Gift 1 Month
    AC DC comparison chart edited.jpg

decarb chart of Ringos Gift edited.jpg
    Next month I will combine these into a spreadsheet format that will allow us to do side by side analysis. By then we'll have enough data to create some sort of comparative chart as well but for now I've edited the data of each strain, AC/DC and Ringo's Gift, within the current format of each. The timeframe for the Ringo's Gift for this month was actually 38 days instead of 30-31 so that will influence the outcome somewhat but that will be offset by the next samples in the final tally.

Let's start off with the AC/DC which is my contribution to the cause while the Ringo's Gift is OldRose's and then we'll compare the first month results from that one to the other corresponding month.

We are not only able to study the progression of CBD in these studies but we're also verifying the natural decarb progression of THC which is why I included the THC conversion rates. My original studies used for the thread were only 2 high-THC strains and while both corroborated what I had been seeing in other individual tests, there wasn't really much difference in the strains to drive home the data in more than a general way. With this we're seeing the same progression of THC in very low amounts exactly the same as we did in the higher ones.

We can see in the AC/DC results that we have an increase in CBD of 22.5% from the first month, 43.8% to 66.3% after seeing a 33% increase from the raw tincture in the first month. We're also seeing an slight increase in the CBDV and that's something in particular that I want to keep a close eye on as a marker to use when assessing a strain for anticonvulsive properties. We'll also see how the other non-acid cannabiniods like CBC, CBG and CBN progress; the slight increases and no sign yet of CBN are interesting and of possible importance in choosing heated or natural decarb.

The THC, for the record, increased 33.5% in the first month (33% for CBD) then 15% for this one (22.5% for CBD). While the total conversion % is higher for the THC, the actual conversion amounts are very close. While we're on THC, we're going to bring Ringo's Gift into the conversation. We see different conversion data on it than we do on the AC/DC and I want to explain that while the subject is fresh. Ringo's Gift started out with over half of its THC already converted, due to maturity probably, whereas the ACDC started with a low conversion - 58.3 vs 28.1. In all my lab tests some of which you've seen and some you haven't, I have always found the largest increase in the first month when nearly or slightly more than half converts. After that, it's nearly always around 15% for the next month. The RIngo's Gift is 15.4% after a month in which the previous sample was over 50% conversion. There will be more on this later and I'll see if I can compile some support data.

Okay, on to the Ringo's Gift CBD results which are quite encouraging although in one aspect it appears that the lab hiccoughed but that's not a big deal since we're doing multiple tests on the exact same sample and they'll be there in others. You'll see 5 "N/A"'s which are different than "ND" but the CBD/A and THC/A data seems to be good. That happens in the lab software occasionally and you've seen it here more than once with my comments. That's why we do multiples. No big thing.

Since this is just the first month for the Ringo's gift there isn't a lot of comparative data just yet but we can make some early comparisons with the AC/DC. Keeping in mind that the AC/DC had less CBD than the Ringo's Gift, 10.8% vs 14.8%, both are in lockstep with each other. The Ringo's Gift started with 14.8 and reached 47.4, a difference of 32.6%. AC/DC started with 10.8% and reached 43.8% in the first month. I'm not real sure we could get closer without a scientific environment and to me it's as good as identical. We'll have to see how it plays out as we go along. It's good to have one sampling a cycle ahead of the other because it can lead to a better focused understanding of the process.

The other cannabinoids were missed for this Ringo's Gift sample so we'll save comment on those for the next one, particularly for CBN.

This is exciting stuff to me. Every time I look at the results I see more and more. I can hardly wait for the next one. While I'm pretty sure 4 months is still going to be optimal for use, I'm going to carry the study beyond that in order to check out CBDV. It seems to increase with time and could be very valuable. :jump:

• Like Like x 9
  16. Hey Sam!
    I have a few questions pertaining to kief.
    11g of flowers were ground then very lightly sifted using an 80 micron screen. This resulted in .5g of kief.
    The main objective wasn't to gather a lot of kief, hence the light sifting, it was rather to obtain a small amount to fiddle with.
    How much potency would you guess the flowers have lost?
    Ultimately, the goal is to gather a few grams of kief from different strains and mix them to make a single batch of extra potent GD.
    Also, what it the temp/time for decarbing kief?
    Thanks again for all your help!!

17. Great info Sam..
    BNW

• Like Like x 5
  18. Half a gram doesn't seem like a lot from 11g even though it was a finer sift than most so I would think that you'd still have a good bit of potency left, enough for some good GD because it can be concentrated to make a good potency. BnW works with kief a lot more than I do and can probably give you a better idea of what would be left but you should be able to use it for more good stuff.

The decarb is the same as everything else, 240°F for 40 minutes. Your mix of strains should make you an outstanding GD. :pimp:

• Like Like x 6
  19. Thank you Sir!
    The goal is to make a GD potent enough that a max of 5 drops (.15ml) will caused desired effects.
    As it stands now, it takes .364ml (8g flower in 30ml solution) to reach desired effects.
    At what point do you lose the bioavailability of the alcohol when it's reduced down. 4 fl. oz of solution B (2nd run) was reduced down to oil, then redissovled into 15ml of 96% alcohol. Could it have been redissolved into 10ml, possibly 5ml of 96%, and still kept the bioavailabilty of the alcohol? For example, 11g of flowers in 15ml 96%...would it still maintain the bioavailability of the alcohol?
    On a side note, the 2 runs on the 11g of flowers are being separated to see if there really is a difference between the effects. It was read that the 1st wash will produce more cerebral, while the 2nd wash will produce more of a body load.

• Like Like x 1