Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Thanks again for all your tremendously helpful insight and knowledge on the subject!!!

2. That would be either way. It will take longer to start taking effect if swallowed. I believe that the best way to use it in a sublingual manner is to add your dose to a shot glass of water then swish it around in your mouth as long as you can before you swallow. It won't burn and actually gets into more of your oral tissue. The gums and cheekbones have as much capillary area as under the tongue, called "buccal" membrane. :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. I reduced from 1 to 1-5 liters down to 500 ml. Added water shook froze and got tons of black-green tar. Then I was going to reduce all the way down like the 151, but there were pieces, not oil globules forming and dropping to the bottom.

At that point 500 ml ethanol 250 ml water went back into the freezer for a second 24 hours.

I would recommend to anyone else trying this that they leave the mixture in the freezer for 36-48 hours. I was in a hurry.

• Like Like x 2
  4. I didnt know anyone who didn't

Sent via my pet rock...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Hey Sam,
    The solvent transfer to the EVCO was a success!
    One cookie was consumed and it took close to 2hrs before the effects were felt.
    The body load was unbelievable! You were correct in that the cerebral would stay about the same.
    Body felt like molasses with wave after wave of euphoria...could not/ would not move for about the first 30mins. 12hrs later and body still feels like it's being "tickled".
    Had the strain been heavier cerebral wise, I could see it making for a bad time at the dosage consumed.
    One negative that wasn't expected was the hangover. Just want to lay in bed all day, lol!
    Thanks again for all your help!

• Like Like x 1
  6. I'm glad it worked, BmC76. You have answered your own question about the dosage. Half a cookie, not a full one. You'll enjoy it more. After you've eaten a few to get your tolerance up, then 1 might be good. Be careful who you give them to and how much. It's better to do too little than too much.. At half a cookie you have 80 doses for your 7g. Not too shabby. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. So, I've strained the tincture, but now I have to leave to take my boy back to college. So, my water bath has been turned off, although I am leaving the jar in the pan to continue a bit of evap while I am gone. About 6 hours total drive time. I'll crank the heat back on after I return and finish the evap process.

I won't be able to try anything until next weekend, though. Being such a newb, and not daring to risk having to miss work at all while we are in a slow down (already looking at 32 or less hours a week... thank goodness we made the last truck payment last week), I don't want to try any until I know that I don't have to get up the next day for anything.

The current color is a very golden with a lime hint. I touched the tip of my tongue to my glove (wouldn't have used gloves if it hadn't been for the above-mentioned drive) and only could taste the alcohol at that point.

Anyhow, kid is starting to pester me about needing to leave.
    Later!

~EM~

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks, Sam!
    Yeah, will definitely recommend dosage be scaled back to 1/2 a cookie.
    They were made for a friends wife that suffers from fibro. Great ppl and I hate seeing her in pain.
    Gummy bears would've been made instead, but it seemed a little too involved.
    Right?! It really is incredible that so little can go such a long way!

• Like Like x 1
  9. A quick question on winterizing GD. Do I simply freeze the GD for a couple of days and strain through a coffee filter or does it require the addition of water? I'd like to do an EVCO transfer for cooking edibles and want to keep the cannabis taste to a minimum.

10. No water. Just the freezer for 36-48 hours then filter. :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sounds simple enough. Thanx, Sam.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Just keep it in the jar. You'll see spider-like white webs form and that's what you filter out. Filter right after taking out of the freezer. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Out of curiosity..... between 'winterizing' and 'green removal'.... has anyone tried freezing the GD with dry ice to see if that would drop the green sludge out of solution? Taking it down to -110f should be much better than +/-0 f. Curious if anyone has tried it.... or if someone (SMF or BnW) is intrigued enuff to try it.... My thinking is that with -110f that less water 'may' be needed to drop the green, decreasing the chances of precipitating the precious oils.

14. Sam, is it necessary to winterize for EVCO transfer if it is for topical use?

15. No, you don't want to winterize most of the time, especially if making a medical product. Coconut oil will absorb those other compounds. That makes it full extract. It's just for the hard to infuse sugars like the syrups, honey or agave. No need to winterize for butter, either. You want it all for topicals, too. :mellow:

• Like Like x 3
  16. Thanks. I swung by hell mart on my way home after dropping the boy off in Ohio. Found a fairly large (54 oz) jar of the pure, unrefined, cold pressed 100% organic EVCO for $20. I was aiming for smaller, but all of the smaller jars were refined in some manner. That's okay, though, because if this works half as well as I want, then I'll be making a LOT of it. LOL. Not all at once. I also picked up a couple of travel-size lotion bottles for storage. One for myself, and another to give to either my sponsor or my sister. If I have to, I'll give away both bottles and just make another batch. I should be getting more material next weekend. I am VERY looking forward to early to mid-December, when I harvest my own first grow, and will be able to store back quite a bit of material for my own uses. :)

Between not sleeping well last night, followed by 7 hours on the road today, I am more than ready to try some topically. The arthritis in my hips has been screaming ever since the temps started to creep below 70 at any point of the day.

• Like Like x 1
  17. P.S. The tincture, as fully expected from all of my reading thus far, did evap off 2 of the 8 ounces while I was gone. Heat has been reapplied, and the process is moving along. Plan to stop at approx. 2 ounces remaining for a 4g/oz tincture.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 3 hours later, I have reached the 2 ounce goal. Yay!

Originally, I had planned to do the EVCO transfer tonight. However, it is already after 1am, and I am tired. So, it looks like that will be waiting for either an early night off of work, or next weekend. Darn. *pout* Of course, if the boy's ride had been reliable, I wouldn't have had 7 hours on the road.... Ah well. Life does tend to get in the way, doesn't it?

19. Just an odd thought that came to mind as I was storing my supplies and straightening the kitchen. Mr. Sam, I know that someone brought up the use of a satchel previously, and your reply concerning whether or not the material would be properly reached for the purpose of the extraction. One of my kids left my tea ball on the counter. Other than the fact that it is metal, could this be something used by someone wanting less filter/strain time?

I am personally not interested in it. I just recalled that short conversation and thought I'd bring it up while it was on my mind and before the brain fog of calcium deposits creeps in and steals it away.

20. A satchel is often used in some guides for oils or honey, glycerin, etc for ease of processing. It just sits in the medium and steeps. There's no movement past the material because it packs in the bundle. It's just inefficient. I don't recommend a mesh of any kind for alcohol extraction for an extended time, especially ones that may be reactive when exposed to alcohol. You'll still need to strain anyway because you want to get the most out of the material and that makes it an extra step.

I use a metal tea ball whenever I decide to make a relaxing canna tea but there's no alcohol. :mellow:

• Like Like x 2