Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Sorry duplicate post.

2. Happy birthday!! :jump:

• Like Like x 4
  3. That's called a natural decarb and it takes 4 months if using fairly freshly dried material or 3 months if using material that has a large amount of THC already converted due to age/condition, like cartel stuff. I prefer the natural decarb because you lose no terpenes, esters, flavonoids or any other beneficial compound due to heat. Your reduction is done naturally. I swear by it but you've got to have some regular GD on hand to get you by during that 3-4 months.

You make it the same way but without the heated decarb. Over the course of the four months it will usually turn gold, too, if it wasn't before. It can be used after 3 months and have it be as good as a 225°F/30 minute heated decarb but 4 months gives you a really nice profile. Here's my study results on that using freshly dried material. I have a couple of others, too. Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it

You can also decarb your oils after infusing but that uses heat although the oil preserves the compounds better than the direct heat of an oven decarb of the material. :pimp:

• Like Like x 4
  4. Sam
    Sorry to be confused LOL again
    So If I were to take a year old batch of herb (without decarb) I would still haave to do the freezer shake method before I put the jar in a dark place for 3-4 months?
    Don't just leave weed soaking in EC190 correct?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Yes, Stiggy, I would recommend our normal "freeze and squeeze" extraction just to get it out of the way. You don't extract more cannabinoids by letting the material sit in the alcohol for a few months, just chlorophyll. If you strain it first then you don't have all that stuff if you lose it for 2 years. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 6
  6. LOL Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  7. I need one of those Big bulletin boards Like scientists use to compute their theories on
    this way I can have it written down once and for all
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  8. Wonderful thank you. I'm looking forward to doing a naturally decarbed GD. Ready by Christmas!:yay:

• Like Like x 2
  9. #11849 PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

High-CBD Progression & Decarb Project
    Ringo's Gift
    Contributed by OldRose
    decarb chart of Ringos Gift.jpg
    Ringos Gift Raw.jpg Ringos Gift 240 decarb.jpg Ringos Gift 175 decarb.jpg Ringos Gift Raw tinc.jpg
    Select Image to Expand
    My thanks go out to OldRose for being willing to help with our CBD project and she has produced profound results right off the bat. These results are from her lab and include the raw flower, 2 decarb temperatures, raw tincture and a lightly decarbed tincture. The large image is the comparison provided by the lab with some highlighting and the addition of the percentage tables added by me. The thumbnails below it are the individual results.

The 175°F temperature range was a result, I think, of a misunderstanding. When the lab tech was asked about the decarb temperature for CBDA to CBD, the result was 176°. I'm fairly certain that should have been Celsius instead of Fahrenheit because that's what all the lab techs I've ever spoken with have used. If that is the case here then that is 348°F. As you can see by the results, 175°F didn't faze it.

Oh, man, but the other two flower samples have nailed it, to my mild surprise, and also to my greater surprise, we have a strain with CBDV. I have never seen it on any of my tests and probably is detected due to the higher CBD isomer profile but my AC/DC and fake Harlequin didn't display any. CBDV is very, very effective for epilepsy and spasms. This needs to be followed up to see how prevalent it is and whether being a Sativa or Indica plays a part. That's exciting to me.

The biggest surprise is found in the reversal of the CBDA and CBD values between the raw flower and the 240/40 oven decarb. The comparison chart uses mg/g and that's why I included the percentages below it for those two since % is what most folks find easier to work with.

The thing we're looking for here is conversion and stability of the CBD isomers. In all of my previous tests I haven't seen much indication that CBDA converted to CBD as much as it did to the other cannabinioids like CBG, CBD, CBN, CBC with little change to CBD from whatever was initially there. One of the things I've been most curious about has been about learning how to get a good CBD decarb without destroying all the other compounds, or most.

The raw flower had a value of 13.9% (139mg/g) for the CBDA and 0.6% for CBD (5.9mg/g). In the CBDA/CBD project my lab ran it indicated throughout the range of times and temperatures that there was little to no conversion so I was pleasantly surprised to see that the values had basically been reversed in the 240°F/40 minute decarb. The CBDA was only 0.7% (6.5mg/g) but the CBD had increased to 13% (129mg/g) and there was no CBN detected at all nor was there any appreciable increase or decrease in any of the other cannbinoids. It should be pointed out that all of the THCA converted to THC, all 6mg of it.

That was a very important discovery because it shows that CBD can be converted from CBDA without losing your other compounds. We need some further independent results to be able to definitively say that this is absolutely true but it does look very promising.

We will follow the progression of the Ringo's Gift raw tincture to see how it cures in comparison to my AC/DC over the next few months. The 175° tincture didn't have much difference and I suggest that it be added to the raw tincture since those values are so close anyway.

There is one feature of these lab results that I really liked until I took a little closer look but it's still interesting. In the individual results the lab included fields for trichome density and maturity. Using a percentage basis they listed the amount of amber, opaque, clear and translucent trichomes there were in the sample. I don't see much difference in the last 2 but what do I know? So, I thought this was a cool feature until I added up the percentages of each of the categories and found that it adds up to 200%. I guess we'll just have to take that one with a grain of salt.

We'll have more on this as we go along. I'm sure I'm forgetting something here but there's nothing new about that. :)

• Like Like x 7
  10. #11850 julialouis, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    Thanks Sam,
    This is so helpful, wish I had something to offer in return, beyond my gratitude and best wishes to everyone! Yeah I'm hoping to stay off prednisone as much as possible but have asthma and flares went wild starting late fall. I don't know how you could manage 100, they gave me 60 once and I would not have been able to stand myself if I had to take that much, but the physical relief they offer is incredible. Definitely won't od on the tincture. I get and use 190 here don't know when they made it available, probably when the liquor stores went private. I got a fresh bottle to figure out that the old one was watered. I'll try a double next time. It was 1g. Love the idea of the natural decarb, don't have the $ to switch, But the idea of a batch for xmas is great.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I found the lab that produced the video I relied on for the 176℉ for decarbing CBD. It's SC Labs or Santa Cruz Labs. My guess on the 176℉ decarb recommendation is that it minimizes THC. If you look at that old chart, this is lowest temperature and the one that produces the least THC. I made that up. I didn't actually ask the lab guy.

In any event, we now can project that if the goal is CBD rather than CBDA, the 240/40 decarb worked nicely - at least once. Thanks for summarizing the results. In a few weeks, I'll check the natural decarb at 30 days.
    THC_content-.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. Oh, not only was I taking 100mg of prednesone daily but also huge doses of immunosuppressants and intense antibiotics and narcotics all at once and the prenesone was the mildest of the stew. I had some nightmares that still give me the chills. Unfortunately, asthma is one of those things where long term use of the stuff can make a difference between life and death. It has some serious side effects that I am now experiencing and makes quality of life quite challenging, though.

Cannabis edibles and tinctures helps considerably and can even help with asthma so that you won't need as much of that pharmaceutical stuff. :)

• Like Like x 4
  13. As of now the trend is 240°F/40 minutes for the conversion of CBDA into CBD but don't take it to the bank yet. We have yet to see if that's really the case. The tests I've done with high-THC stains using the same time and temp hasn't really shown that but it has a lot less total CBD/CBDA in the mix so it may not manifest at those times.

I'll take in the 1 month sample of the AC/DC natural GD next week and we'll see just how that goes. :mellow:

• Like Like x 7
  14. Howdy howdy :wave: There's an excellent video series going on at info@greenflowermedia.com. I watched the 2nd in the series tonight and one spot blew my doors open. :geek: It's all about the terpenes. The science has caught up to, and past, what we've been talking about. It's truly a whole new ballgame. The possibilities just became unlimited. Way cool stuff. :jump:Watch it and enjoy. It's kinda weird in a sense because a lot of it is what we've learned and talked about thru trial and error here at PSam's place and to have it go mainstream is strange....in a good way. And there's a lot of new info too, at least for me there was.
    Each segment is about 25mins long and you have to go thru a signup process to get access, but it's definitely worth the time.

H

• Like Like x 3
  15. Well, I tinctured some Chem Dawg today to do a natural decarb on. Unfortunately, I fell asleep and left it soaking in the freezer for 8 hours instead of 2 to 4 hours. Oh well, what's a little chlorophyl between friends? :frown:

In the dark closet for 4 months now.

• Like Like x 5
  16. I've been enjoying the information over there for a while now too. Good stuff!

• Like Like x 4
  17. It will become a Gold Dragon by the time that 4 months is over so that shouldn't matter. :)

• Like Like x 4
  18. Boy Howdy! Terpenes are all the rage. These flavors used in the distillates are comprised of terpenes, Live Resin is all about the terpenes. One of dispensaries that I frequent now offers to customize your terpene profile for the oil cartridges they sell.

The science is passing us old farts by faster than we can keep up with but so far I think that we've done a pretty good job here. Just think how I must feel about the highlighted area. I started out here being mocked and ridiculed and now I see all the things we've been doing every time I turn around as if it had been SOP all this time. I'm sure it's just coincidence. :)

• Like Like x 8
  19. Good to hear! Thank you so much. :hippie:

• Like Like x 2
  20. S
    Stiggy always had Faith
    I stuck hard and true to course
    What a ride man
    I thank you for that.
    When I 1st started talking to Sam and he offered to help me I could barely walk
    Now i walk my dog again 3/4 miles every morn
    I can walk into a store again , I truly believe Sam methods and advice here have helped me greatly
    along with all the other great people here.
    Thanks Guys

• Like Like x 8