Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. It sounds like you're going in the right direction, ph11. By improving your method with each batch you are actually learning more than if we'd started you off with our signature solvent transfer. This gives you a chance to actually experience the differences in the methods and make your own judgments instead of taking someone's word that their way is better.

The water is used to remove the polar compounds similar to the clean-up video I posted except that it's done during the extraction instead of after. It gets rid of most of the chlorophyll and "wet hay" taste that you get from extracting with heat. The water doesn't hurt your cannabinoids but it does cause it go rancid if not stored in the freezer.

The water can also help you with concentration by allowing you to use less oil for more of a kick. Ordinarily you would need to cover your material completely with the oil/butter and you're stuck with whatever potency that gives you. The water allows you to use less of the oil because it provides the volume necessary to cover the material and since the cannabinoids aren't water soluble, they get sucked up in higher concentration by the oil/butter.

When using water you'll place your bowl or jar in the fridge (not freezer) until the butter/oil becomes a slab, or "puck". Remove the puck, discard the ugly water, scrape off the bottom and you're ready to bake. :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. #10422 posthuman11, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    Thanks so much for the information! I hadn't thought about the necessity of removing polar compounds. I apologize, but I didn't see the video that you posted. I did want to try and make Green Dragon first, but I could not find any Everclear, and I just recently was reminded that 151 rum could be substituted when I was looking over our past posts. I'm definitely interested in making edibles with this if possible. I'd also like to make oils too as I am learning that more and more people I know can benefit from this. Thanks so much again.

3. Hi Sam
    Hi Everyone else

I've been reading this forum for quite a while now and and finally decided writing something.
    I just made some Green Dragon following Sam's Recipe and thought I would share my thoughts on it in comparison to another extraction method I used.

Using Sam's method I got some really tasty amber green dragon, not bitter at all because there was nearly no chlorophyll.
    I reduced the finished green dragon to a concentration of ~50mg THC / ml ( at least thats what I calculated if nearly everything got extracted [12,5g of 21%THC to 50ml green dragon]

I then sampled it a few days ago using 1 ml to compare it to another method a few days later.
    I just mixed it with a bit of water and kept it in my mouth for 5-10 mins, then swallowed it.
    I was really impressed by the taste of the dragon, the first I've ever made a few years ago was using heat and it tasted a lot like chlorophyll, but not with the freezer method.
    But I was a little disappointed by the effects, you could feel them but it was quite a light effect.

I have to say that I'm not a medical patient, so for me the recreational effects are what is important.

I remember from my first attempt a few years ago where I used a heated extraction that the taste was quite bitter but the effects were stronger. But not knowing how much material I used back then I could not really compare it.
    So I just made a small batch of green dragon using my old recipe, but this time i calculated it to be the same strength as the green dragon I made following Sam's recipe.
    I ended up using 2,4g of 21% THC for 10 ml of tincture [ ~50mg THC / ml ]

I just sampled it and I have to say the recreational effects of the same amount of tincture are a good bit stronger, I would not say double, but close to it.

I will quickly summarize what I did because there are some points that differ from the cold method.

Instead of decarbing at 115C (240F) for 40mins i decarbed only for 5 mins at 145-150C because that is what I did a few years ago.
    Then I let the cannabis cool down a bit and poured just enough pure alcohol into the glass to cover it.
    I then used a double boiler and a candy thermometer to let the cannabis-alcohol mix simmer just a bit below ethanols boiling point. [ONLY DO THIS IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA (I did this by an open window on a hot plate with a fan blowing outside so there would be no flamable fumes inside)]
    I did let it in the double boiler for about 15-20 mins stirring every 1-2 mins and checking the temperature so it doesn't really boil but just simmers a bit.
    After 20mins i used a garlic press and cheesecloth to filter out the solids I don't want in my tincture.
    I also did not have to reduce it any further because the heat from the double boiler already evaporated enough.
    I was left with ~10 ml of tincture.

Conclusion:
    The heated tincture was a good bit stronger than the cold tincture, but tastewise the cold one did taste much better as in not bitter at all.

I still have to do another batch with a decarb of 40mins at 115C (240F) for the heated extraction as well as a slightly modified cold extraction with longer soak times to compare.
    Maybe I can also get out a good bit of the chlorophyll from the heated extract using distilled water like Sam did with a very dark green dragon.

Just wanted to share my thoughts on this with you and maybe get a step closer to finding my perfect tincture recipe by discussing it with you.

If it's ok I will keep you updated on any new results of different methods I will try in the future, because all the information in this thread really helped me when I needed it.

Thanks for your time :D

4. It's good to hear from you again, pushu. When I make a cream using my "premium" GD I will usually make 3oz of coconut oil for each ounce of GD. That's with a concentration of 4g/oz but if that old GD was concentrated further then you'd adjust the ratio. That should cover any dilution due to additional inactive ingredients like other oils and beeswax. And that older GD should be pretty effective for a topical

I would infuse the oil first but if you're using multiple oils then you can infuse them together. You'll still want to do it by transfer, though. Don't add your beeswax until after your alcohol has evaporated. If using other oils like grapeseed and some others you would want to infuse with a little less heat. Adjust the amount of GD used based on your total oil volume. Use your emulsifier after the infusion to determine the texture of your salve.

Of course, you could always use a 1:1 GD to oil ratio for a salve with more cannabinoids but I've found that anything over a certain range doesn't improve results and is a waste of resources that can be put to better use. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 1
  5. When you're ready for the 151 GD just let us know. You can actually make quite good edibles with it quite easily and then your crockpot days will be over. :ey:

6. As soon as I get my car back from the mechanic, my first stop will be the liquor store lol. However, my material is now curing in jars for another 3 weeks or so. Is curing necessary for GD?

7. Welcome, Tanne, and thank you for the discussion points.It's been a long time since someone has made a comparison of the methods and been willing to present the results that may seem contrary to ours. Thank you for that and for being so open about it.

I've never been one to say my way is better than any other way. The key is in the concentration and not the extraction. You can make any GD into a monster just by reducing the alcohol. You may have to gag it down but it surely will work.

The method I use here is designed to get the most medical benefit and not just recreational effects because not everybody's definition of "recreational" is the same, sometimes not even in the same ballpark. Because there is no heat involved other than during reduction, the cannaboids retain more of the original strain profile which allow the more subtle effects associated with that strain to come through, especially in Sativas.

My priorities are maximizing the medical benefits of cannabis products and presenting the best overall quality possible which includes esthetics such at appearance, and taste as well as effects. Everything is backed up with multiple lab tests so I really have no concerns about "better". I'm in no competition with anyone.

I expect that your definition of "recreational" differs from mine but that is of no consequence. I've countered the points you've made about the heated GD and the rapid, hot decarb many times during the course of this thread so I won't bore you with that now but leave it say that opinions have a way of changing and you should keep an open mind. :pimp:

• Like Like x 1
  8. No, not necessary as long as it's dry but if you're one who savors the flavor of the GD then curing will improve that. Curing also allows some of the chlorophyll to fade away. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hey Sam
    Thanks for the quick reply

You are sure right about that :D everyone has another definition of recreational
    For me its mostly the euphoria and the changes in perception I like, my mate is more of a couch-lock fan.
    So yeah everyone differs on that ^^
    But I would not want something I'd have to chug down just for some potency, thats why I really like the taste of the tincture I made using your method.
    I was just a bit surprised after testing my tinctures that they turned out that way and thought if there is a place where I could get more information on tinctures it would be here :D
    It never was about a competition :) just talking and exchanging information so hopefully everyone can benefit from it.

Maybe I did make some mistakes while doing that one batch, one thing that comes to mind would be that my freezer was at -32C (-25 F) , maybe that was too cold so the alcohol did not dissolve everything in time as extraction times vary greatly depending on the temperature of the solvent.

I guess I will have to try some more times and find out what works best for me.

Thank you for discussing this with me, I really appreciate every bit of information I can gather

• Like Like x 3
  10. Please feel free to come here and discuss it at anytime. I've seen too many dueling posts where people go back and forth arguing which is best and it's impossible to get any kind of dialogue started. That's what I meant about not being in competition and that allows us to discuss things on their merit and not ego or subjective opinion.

Your freezer wasn't a problem. There are all kinds of factors that can play into your perception of the effects. A big factor is the strain. There is a lot more subtlety with the freezer version and it really manifests itself with Sativa dominant strains. Using GD like this can really bring out perceptions you may never have realized were associated with a strain. Kind of like a fine wine or aged whiskey.

Discussion is good and everybody can learn from it. :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Im sorry I have nothing to add or say.

• Like Like x 2
  12. #10432 PsychedelicSam, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Well, then, what good are you, Stiggy?.... I jest, of course. Jack3 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 2
  13. Hi Sam,

I just bought a bottle of Everclear 151. I noticed that you have a recipe for using 151with dry ice hash. Do you have a recipe for starting with flowers, leaves, or stems?

14. Great! You would use the 190 guide except that there's an additional step in the reduction for 151 and once that is completed you'll be able to do anything with it that you would with 190. I would also recommend that you not utilize the 2nd 24 hour freezer period and just rinse your material with fresh cold alcohol when you've finished with the first straining. The extra water in the 151 will pull more of the chlorophyll and other compounds in that 24 hours but not cannabinoids. That will save you some time.

When you're ready to evaporate the alcohol you 'll let it reduce all the way to cannabis oil. Take a look at the "clean-up" video during the reduction to get an idea of how it will look. 151 is exactly the same. Once all the liquid is gone you'll either reconstitute it with some fresh alcohol for a tincture at whatever strength you want or you can add coconut oil or butter or other things to the cannabis oil for edibles.

Don't be afraid to ask about anything along the way. :)

• Like Like x 4
  15. Shatter Infused
    Coconut Oil Capsules
    Quick-Fix

I'm now needing to use coconut oil caps again thanks to some new pains so I decided to make some 25mg caps from some shatter and make a video at the same time. I was thinking of OregonDaisy since she was asking about it lately. Hopefully, this will help. :)

• Like Like x 6
  16. Psam, I've been considering doing my next batch of caps with out lecithin. Just to see if theres a difference. I don't think i need it if i get lit up like a xmas tree every time i drink a tincture. Right?
    This is hypothetical but would someone who cant digest thc properly still feel the tincture to the full extent or would it just pass through the liver just like an oil thats not encapsulated?

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. Tincture is absorbed differently than coconut oil caps in a different part of the digestive system. They are two different mediums, alcohol and a lipid. It's lipids that usually have the problem with digestion. You only use lecithin with lipids.

I don't use lecithin because I like the effects to start as soon as possible and lecithin delays that for me. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Morning Sam...since coconut oil or another fat helps the cannabis digest better how well do you think these CBD oils/perls are being assimilated? Isn't it the same as taking a full plant extract :rolleyes: without mixing it w a lipid?

H :passing-joint:

• Like Like x 2
  19. From what I can piece together, CBD and the other non-THC cannabinoids are absorbed into systems and receptor groups that are completely independent of lipid processing by the liver. As we're beginning to learn more about how cannabis compounds are used in the body, our thinking on some of our accepted "knowledge" of cannabis will need some rethinking.

Just from my few years exploring cannabis as I have, I've been able to see much more detailed and in depth study of how things work although there's still a long way to go. So far, the major things that I've learned is that decarb and liver metabolism is only pertinent to THC and THCA and has very little to do with CBD, CBDA or the other cannabinoids. I'm still trying to get my brain wrapped around all the receptors other than CB1/2 that pick up those others because they are mainly a jumble of letters and numbers and I've mislaid my copy of "Grey's Cannabis Anatomy" but I have learned that there's a lot more to it than what we've thought. CBD absorbed through the lymph system is as big a deal as the liver turning delta-9 into delta-11, at least for medical applications.

Most CBD "oils" and tinctures are associated with glycerin which would be a good carrier for non-THC compounds since it doesn't seem to promote CB1 activation very well anyway. Using it in a tincture or other form should allow uptake without any need for a lipid. It's different than taking RSO type oils without lipids. The full extract oil is highly concentrated and doesn't get completely broken down before it's passed the metabolic areas and excreted. That's because on it's own the concentrated full extract isn't very bioavailable. That's the main reason to use coconut oil or as a GD or agave or something else. They all make it bioavailable but each is metabolized in different areas. They all should be equally viable for the uptake of CBD and the others. I imagine that a CBD concentrate, like RSO, might also have that same issue.:)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Thanks Sam.... that's just what I was looking for. this year I will save all that trim that I left in the field last year

• Like Like x 2