Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Need to get in gear
    I need to make some edies myself
    Nice Job Brother

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'll probably try some form of that when I do a bigger batch. It's still a work in progress but it's definitely going to save time. I may wet the round filter with alcohol first so that it will cling to the funnel better, too. I'm going to have fun playing with it. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 4
  3. #9683 STIGGY, May 1, 2016
    Last edited: May 1, 2016
    I was going to ask about wetting down the filters 1st with alcohol
    to cut down on absorption loss
    Have fun, I need to try mine out soon
    I got almost the same one LOL

• Like Like x 3
  4. You don't want to wet it with water. Use the alcohol. :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Oh course did I say water
    woops meant to say wet it down should have then said with 190
    All fixed
    I just tried my Vape
    I don't do it during the day but hey why not
    We earned it

• Like Like x 4
  6. Ahem. That didn't go as planned. Some flaw in my assumptions, my record-keeping, my product, my math, my labeling or my processing. I aimed for 1:1 THC: CBD matching my usual THC dose of around 7 mg THC. I used both tinctures sublingually at 6PM. I managed to get myself stoned to the point I couldn't function, oozed to bed by 9:30PM and didn't get outta bed until 9:25AM. So that stuff about CBD being a buzz kill....needs some clearer guidelines. :ey:

What were the effects, apart from obviously using too much tincture ? Maybe a bit more range of motion and less swelling in my arthritic hands and less pain in my neck. And I slept 10 hours.

I went back to the dispensary to try confirm my bad memory of the testing info on White Harlequin, but they claimed not to have it. I have some ACDC with a guaranteed analysis of 19% CBD that I haven't processed into tincture yet. I think it may be a better test subject because the THC is negligible.

I also impulsively bought some 10 mg CBD caps (probably from hemp). Unfortunately, they are in grape seed oil as a carrier. That could take an age to metabolize. Plus...can you see a biochemical pathway for CBD metabolism being blocked by THC if THC is circulating first because it's inhaled or ingested sublingually? Interesting information on metabolism of THC and CBD here, including "CBD pretreatment increases brain levels of THC." CBD-Drug Interactions: Role of Cytochrome P450 | Project CBD My point is there is a lot I don't know about timing of administration of CBD and its interaction with THC.

I suppose there is not way to transfer the CBD in grape seed oil back to ethanol? I'd like to match carrier to carrier so CBD and THC are metabolized roughly together or CBD first. Ethanol tincture works fast, 20-30 minutes. Honey elixir takes a bit longer. Gummies take a matter of hours. Oil is sure to take longer still.

• Like Like x 1
  7. At least you made it through while gaining some insight. If you did both tinctures at the same time that could explain the effects your experienced. by increasing the CBD you're getting more of the agonist effect. It's the CBD and other cannabinoids that give the differing effects. The "buzz" from a pure tropical Sativa, for instance, is very energetic with a lot of clarity because it's nearly all THC with very small amounts of the other cannabinoids, including CBD. When you start adding the cannabinoids that act as agonists, that's when you start getting the various effects of the hybrids and even the couchlock.

I know that the Harlequin that I had, even though not as high CBD as it should have, brought me and others around me completely off a good buzz more than once. I was specifically testing that aspect but the scenario was to get the THC psychoactivity first then after the effects have settled in, that's when I smoked the Harlequin. I was straight within a few hits. I also have taken the GD while in the midst of a toking buzz and it flattened it out. In none of those cases did I have lingering pain, though. It will probably take a few tries to get it right. And everybody's different.

Alcohol will leach the cannabinoids from the oil from the caps but it's really not recommended, It would be a challenge. It can be done. Get used to the delays in the types of ingestion. You'll need to change up from time to time to avoid getting too tied into one thing and running up your tolerance. One good, fast alternative to tinctures is hard candy and you can make that easily with your GD. It's a great way to medicate. :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. I ALWAYS wet the filter with ethanol first. Then the filter will not absorb my cannabinoids.

With regards to CBD / THC synergy I have been playing with several CBD strains and I hope to actually get scientific and measure doses and results so I can zero in pain relief with minimal cognitive impairment.

I have an indica CBD (15-20%) strain that I take at night with my indica THC strain (20-24 % THC)and it works GREAT for sleep / pain.

Depending on my mood, next week when I go to my dispensary I may buy a sativa CBD (18-22 % CBD) strain for the daytime.

Oldrose, thanks for the research you have done / are doing on CBD. Thanks for the links.

• Like Like x 4
  9. #9689 mainah, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    I haven't experienced a buzz kill with CBD either Rose. I can end an anxiety attack with it, but it always makes the buzz last longer for me too, and if you keep reading you'll find that's a common report. I haven't been able to try a pure CBD yet though, always with THC.
    Sounds like it helped with your arthritis, so that's a good thing. Just gotta get the beast under control! :cautious:

Edit: Rose, are your extracts whole plant, or have all the terpenes been heated out of them? Isolated compounds work a lot different than whole plant, as indicated in the article you posted the link to.
    With sativex, GW pharmaceuticals combines isolated extracts of THC and CBD to a 50/50 ratio, then they add the terpenes back in. That's easy to do with all their lab equipment, but hard to reproduce in the kitchen or out in the garage with a bho blast.

• Like Like x 4
  10. That's interesting, Mainah, that we both saw enhanced effects of THC. I wasn't anxious at all, just stoned to death, not my usual desired effect when I have things to do which is always.

My extract was from White Harlequin dry ice kief, so definitely not whole plant, just flowers. My cowboy approach to terpenes is to add a smidge of raw, undecarbed kief into tinctures at the end. Dunno if it's enough.

Before I grow a plant (assuming I can find one), I need to understand the effect of the combination. Maybe I'll try another combination bud (1:1 THC:CBD) from the dispensary on my BH to see what he thinks about it.

I'm confused by how to decarb combo bud. The optimal decarb for CBD is at a lower temp and shorter time than for THC. In fact, I don't understand what combustion does to CBD if it works as a buzz kill when smoked.

• Like Like x 3
  11. A lot to chew on there, PsychSam, and thanks for the info. I read a report that some old timers (i.e. you and me) report different effects with modern grass than the grass of our youth (starting in the late 60's in my case). The speculation was that one of the missing effects was from CBD. Oddly, though, I don't recall only Sativas. Isn't that what you said most of the dope was back then? The effects weren't clear or energetic at all, always couch lock. I assumed that was the effect of Indica hybrids and, in fact, distinctly recall noticing the wonders of a great Sativa the first time I encountered it described as such in the late 70's-early 80's.

Switching up method of ingestion combats increased tolerance? I would have thought any ingestion of THC many times a week would build tolerance. Anyway, hard candy is doable. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Like Like x 2
  12. #9692 PsychedelicSam, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    If you don't want the THCA converted to THC then you don't need to decarb for CBD. It's not influenced by the heat. CBDA does not change to CBD. From all the tests I've run the CBD is stable from the beginning and CBDA changes into the other cannabinoids mainly with heat or enzymal action. CBD seems to be dependent upon the maturity of the plant. It also is stable at a much higher range that THCA. Also, the CBD values that are given for those products include all of the CBD isomers of which 3/4 is CBDA, approximately. :)

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, Youll like it - This is the link for the CBD decarb analysis.

• Like Like x 3
  13. I started smoking in 1969 and did not encounter an Indica until the early 80's and that was a hybrid. Everything was Sativa where I lived, Illinois, Louisiana, Florida. Everything from Mexico, Columbia, Vietnam, Thailand, Jamaica, Belize, Moroccan, Nepalese, Lebanese hashes. The only Indica I was ever aware of was the black Afgan Primo hash. In my neck of the woods specialty seeds first started to stealthily make their way into the food chain but even those were mainly Sativas, just a bit more exotic.

You got couchlock because of the CBN due to the increased time from harvest, storage, shipping and handling. The fact that you may have been too messed up to safely get off the couch is not the same as "couchlock", at least to me. Most people don't really "get" the difference and lump everything together.

Yes, switching up your forms of ingestion will help with the tolerance. The form, not the method. Change up between edibles made with lipids, edibles made with other things like honey or sugar, GD and/or toking. It will make a big difference. Again, it does for me and a lot of other people. I doubt if there is any research proving that but it works for me big time. :pimp:

• Like Like x 5
  14. Thanks, I needed to dig that up and didn't run across it. If "CBD values" include CBDA, then we really don't know what were getting at the dispensary. Sheesh. I am NOT a fan of state regulation of cannabis from some of the stuff I've seen in Washington, for example, but I see some crying needs out there, like appropriate disclosures in a consistent format, not to mention some serious testing on products like this.

15. Good to know.
    It's entirely possible I remembered that seminal event backwards - - that it was my first indica, not my first sativa. The CBN explanation makes a lot of sense. That was some harsh cough weed. Lucky dispensary shoppers of today can barely understand this.

• Like Like x 1
  16. #9696 PsychedelicSam, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
    When you see CBD values over 4-5% then you are the other CBD isomers included in it. Also, especially for non-edible products, the THC values include the THC isomers which include Delta-9 THC, Delta-8 THC, THCA and THCV.

I have gone through the net and looked at a lot of the high CBD products that are not made from hemp and also have read many investigative articles of stealth testing and it's a big crap shoot. If you have a good lab that can perform HPLC testing then the best way to be sure is to get it tested yourself at least once so that you can get a real feel for what's going on. They ain't cheap but they are worth every cent. You can't know for sure otherwise, if it's important to you. :)

• Like Like x 4
  17. I have found it difficult to explain how it was to the newer generations. They just look at me and roll their eyes and pretend they know all about it. Oh, well, we are our parents.

If you look at my avatar space on the left of the post you'll see my "motto" from Commander Cody...."Lost in the ozone, again" :hippie:

• Like Like x 5
  18. I've been having trouble trying to explain my outlook on weed to the younger guys AND the old time stoners too --- they look at me like I'm crazy....

Ever since I've had access to 'good' weed from the growers with verifiable genetics, I've been like a (fat) kid in a candy store - so many tasty strains to try. But I came to this conclusion -- hi thc is just not what I'm after - I enjoy feeling the effects of each strain,which gets hard to do when thc get north of 15-20% - its just a thc high. I've actually been fooled into thinking I was smoking an indica when it was actually a 25+% sativa (cotton candy/space queen) - 2 hits and I was ozoned!!! Pretty non functional - took ~30 minutes for the thc to work its way down and then I could feel the sativa and start to have conversations again --- not what I'm really looking for - I want to be functional and enjoy the buzz. I like myself a nice thc buzz, but crushing thc --- ah, no thanks, not for me. I prefer to have a couple of more hits to get me there and enjoy the subtleties and flavor along with it. Playing around with bho was fun, but totally wasted on me --- tasty as all hell, but waaayy too much for my system --- I don't enjoy being a zombie --- I honestly don't know how people can do it...

As far as Old Rose and the White Harlequin - shame on you for mixing it with anything - if its true to the strain, it should be able to stand by itself. If it tests more than 10% cbd, it should be a nice diversion from the regular strains. I can't comment on the cbd oils that are available, but I'd be very skeptical of them not knowing their source. As PSam's testing has shown, the cbd (natural) decarb and conversion is a very complex process - and the effects on individuals is even more complex. Explore by itself before you start (unnecessarily) complicating it even further...... you've already found what happens when you start mixing with the best of intentions. I'm assuming the 'white' part is more than likely from White Widow, which should make a very nice hybrid with Harlequin.

I've spent the weekend enjoying the Xtra Cherry Pie (I highly recommend it if you can find it) and Jesse James (everyone is raving about the JJ - still debating exactly what it is - 20+% is the consensus tho), and have revisited the third strain the grower had -- he called it 'Slopes OG' but he gave the seed pack to the other grower and it said 'Sloops OG' --- we're speculating that its Snoops crossed with something..... can't figure out what yet - things get all sideways after a couple of beers and hits during this nice weather.... Also ran into some Blue Dream (nice!) and Skunk (very nice!), so my compass has been spinning pretty well lately.

I'll be getting off my ass and making some GD this week --- I just don't know which to start with.... and I'm running low on storage jars... must choose wisely....

• Like Like x 2
  19. Enhanced effects is a great way to put it Rose. :blink:
    I think the CBD/THC ratio is important, and different for everyone as far as what's optimal. I'm planning to play with the ratios as much as I can in the future. I'd love to get my hands on a 15-20% CBD/ 1% THC strain to work with. Mix it to suit the situation at hand. I do believe the THC is essential to potentiate the CBD, even in a small amount.
    I've been experimenting with ways to retain more terpenes but I need to get some testing done. I have found that I prefer to decarb after I reduce it down to oil. Without testing I don't know if it's real or imagined though.:confused_2:
    As to CBD decarb, what I concern myself with mostly is not exceeding the boiling point, which is higher than THC. I don't shoot for 100% as I believe the acid forms have desirable traits as well. I try for about 75%, but there again, testing needs to be done.

• Like Like x 3