Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Whoops, glad I asked! xD; Thanks, I'll eventually find something.

2. Better safe than sorry. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Will do Thanks Sam

• Like Like x 1
  4. So I rolled the dice and grew a bag seed in with my elite stuff, that unfortunatly hermed on me. It also was super airy so I scratched it and just harvested the whole thing. It went 10 weeks so it's def mature. Ended up with 3 ozs of material that leaves much to be desired. Think I can use that 750ml to soak all three ozs. Gotta feeling gonna have to make his as potent as possible because I doubt the potency of the plant as the trich production was a failure lol. I decarbed it all and into the freezer till tomorrow morning anyway. It filled a whole quart jar of material dry. Any suggestions? Should I half the material and do 2 pulls at same time? I know I've read about maximum saturation for a solvent which is why I'm wondering if this is possible with what I have or need more ethanol. I have a total of 950ml (got some left in old bottle). Thanks in advance!

5. By the way I do have 1/2 gallon Mason's as well for flower, if I need a bigger jar

6. Sorry for so many questions, as with finding new things my mind goes an a millions places. I've got an idea if like to bounce off of you. When I make most of my BHO I blast , then evap till almost sludge. Then I add around 100 ml per oz of material used of 190. From there it gets froze for a day then strain all lipids and evap on double boil on stove till scrape shatter. If I don't take it all the way down to scrape consistency, I'm am making GD right. It just kinda dawned on me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Computer went down. Offline until later. Sorry. :bang:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Finally have the desktop recovered and updated and after a bit of a break I'll be back. :coffee:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sorry it took so long but my computer crashed and I had to do a system recovery then the upgrade to Win 10 and now I'm finally getting it workable.

I'd use the larger jar if I were you. You won't need too much more 190, as long as it's covered at least an inch or so. You could do 2 smaller jars but that is a longer process because you'll want to the 2 hour freezer soak or a total of 4 hours for both. 950ml should be enough for 3oz. If it looks like you need more for the 2nd run, you've got time to get more before it's needed. :)

10. Yep, that's right. You're winterizing and straining. I do that with my GD, too. When you add the 190 you make it GD. :mellow:

11. Hey, Sam, it's been a little while. Just finished another batch of gummies, and I'm getting a feel for the my medical cannabis outdoor grow. Thought I'd share my experience so far and ask a question about dry ice kief. First, about dry ice kief. I use a single bubble bag and don't even use the bucket, shake over a glass table top. Is 120 micron screen a good size for good quality kief for edibles and tinctures or should I go even larger? I'm not smoking it. I don't want to waste THC, but I don't want to shake it twice, either.

After the 2015 harvest of 6 outdoor plants (2 indica-dom, 4 sativa-dom), I had about 2-3 bushels of trim. Each Sativas was 2-3 X the size of the Indicas, making the trim at least 2/3 Sativa dominant. At first I made GD using trim. The 151 Everclear tincture burned the heck out of my mouth, so I transfered the GD over to honey. Honey elixir made with my mostly sativa-dominant kief and flavored with a little vanilla extract is a hit for daytime recreational use using . Our primary problem with honey elixir is that it's hard to accurately measure to titrate a reasonable dose. My last batch is so potent that just licking the spoon leaves me blasted for 8 hours (no tolerance, but still...).

After looking at the last couple of bushels of trim for too long, I decided to shake it all down to kief. When I was done, instead of a Rubbermaid box, I had a collection of little jars of kief. At first, I used two different bubble bags: 73 micron and then 90 micron. After an hour, I decided that two shakes were a waste of time and energy and settled on the 120 micron bag with a single shake.

I was encouraged by another medical user to make gummy bears cuz they're easy to travel with and easy to cut into the exact size needed. Gummies are used primarily for middle-of-the-night 4AM insomnia made worse by jet lag/time change and back, knee and arthritis pain. Instead of GD, I use dry ice kief from my own indica-dom bud. It's easy to weigh so I get predictable results. I get pelleted dry ice from Praxair or a block from an ice house, and an hour later, using a 120 micron bubble bag, I can shake 18g of bud down to 6g of kief. After a 40 minute decarb and 45 minutes to mix and mold, gummies are on the rack drying. I eat part of a gummy two hours before bed so that I won't still be high the next morning. If I start too early, say mid-afternoon, I tend to wake up too early at 5:30AM.

With the exact same material, three different users have three very different responses. My dope fiend husband gets only a little high from gummies and doesn't notice much for long. A medical user half my age comes on in half the time and gets higher from the same dose. I don't notice any effect from Indica-dom gummies for at least 3 hours, never feel high and yet feel super-relaxed with the slows 16 - 18 hours later. The sativa-dom honey elixir wipes out everyone within 30 or 45 minutes and turns them into zombies. :yummy:

• Like Like x 4
  12. #9512 PsychedelicSam, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    I was giving some serious thought to making some gummies with honey this weekend but I didn't have any honey ready. I was making agave, butter and coconut sugar for a batch of special cookies, fudge and 2 batches of hard candy so I had plenty to do as it was.

The one bad thing about the honey is that it is not very good for concentrated dosing because it's so thick. I have found that making the honey serving larger without increasing dosage works well. People use regular honey by the teaspoon or tablespoon and that makes it easier to get a consistent dosing than trying to use it with a dropper or other gizmo.

Everybody is different and the way we each metabolize cannabis can be as different as day and night with the same item. It's going to depend on the digestive tract, medications taken for whatever reason, tolerance or a whole host of other things. I've seen dosing that would rip a big, burly dude have little effect on 5 foot, 100 pound lady. And I and a few friends have noticed that women with pain need more than men with pain. Not scientific but quite a few observations.

I use a 110 screen for my kief. You should be able to do well with the 120. Anything higher and I think you get more plant material and, thus, a weaker product. :)

• Like Like x 4
  13. nwags,

If you have lung issues you should switch to vaporizing. More efficient use of your medicine and much easier on the lungs.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I'm heading that direction for sure. I can't completely stop smoking. I'm def addicted to it and quite enjoy it. Dabbing is just far too harsh form me now, and I haven't ever capes flower before. Any good recommendations on a certain Vape? Also is there much of a difference between table top capes and handhelds, cause a lot of the hand helps I've seen are cheapo coils that are kinda gross in my opinion. Thanks for any tips!!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Boy I hate autocorrect on my phone. Capes = Vaped or vapes....

• Like Like x 1
  16. I got three ozs in the half gallon jar with all 950mls Sam. Being that it was the crappy plant I chopped, think it would be wise to just run one wash. Seems I'm gonna have a ton on liquid to reduce as is. Lol this is just a test batch to get my feet wet and for my friends to try. we live in draconian cornfield country! If not for my trade and interests, where I live everyone would still by smoking brick. I've converted a handful to growers and boy it's making life a lot more enjoyable!!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Unfortunately, that was not my experience at all. I had a bronco spasm while vaping cannabis. Coughing is one thing but that painful squeeze in the chest is a clear warning to get smarter fast. I'm sorry I spent the money on a vaporizer.

I've read a cannabis advocate (with no medical training at all) claim THC is beneficial to lung function because of a guinea pig study, for example, Cannabis Smoke May Benefit Asthma and Lung Functions Unsound, unscientific, potentially dangerous. As an asthmatic, I think anyone with lung issues should avoid inhaling substances unless they are medically necessary. Even one common inhaled asthma medication can cause severe asthma, even death. Information for Healthcare Professionals - Salmeterol xinafoate (marketed as Serevent Diskus) Take home message: putting stuff in compromised lungs can have severe consequences. Don't.

This entire thread addresses alternative delivery methods for cannabis. Smoking a small amount is probably fine (and effective) for a large part of the population. For that small portion with lung problems, ingesting cannabis extracts is a safer approach. Since I had a reaction, it's my exclusive approach now.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Cannabis inhalation can act as a bronchial dilator but too much, which isn't a lot, would definitely be an irritant. We've had several asthma folks here from time to time, along with COPD and cancer. I have a friend with severe asthma and she finds that she doesn't need her inhalers as much when she vapes. For everybody, though, tinctures and edibles did a better job than toking. Bad experiences like yours has a tendency to open our eyes to what's important, especially when there are other equally viable alternatives.

Yeah, we do a pretty good job on those alternative delivery methods even if I do say so myself. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  19. Thanks for the help guys! I def know what ya mean about chest tightness. I've went through some scary spells with pulse ox around 80. Been admitted twice, once with EMTs having to extract me from my bedroom. I was sure I was dying. It has scared me into any alternative. I take Advair 500/50(strongest) and am on 40mgs worth of presnisone a day, a lot of days. I had to get rid of my dogs I had for years, and move into a new construction home to get away from irritants. Unfortunatly I have been smoking flower and a lot of oil. I have two children under 5 and have to make a move right now to better myself. I really took breathing for granted until I couldn't...thanks so much for all advice you guys send my way!! can't wait to try this GD in a couple days. If I can get down to just smoking a bowl or two a day, I think I'll be alright. The BHO whether winterized or not just seizes my chest and sends me straight for the nebulizer and albuterol. As well as the realization that any irritant to the lungs is bad, (although I will say I've noticed the bronchodilation effects of flower smoke sometimes when I'm having an off sort of day...very weird to think that a smoke could be good and bad. Haha

20. It's not really any different than using a nebulizer or using a Vicks vaporizer to open the bronchial passages but all the "extra" ingredients in cannabis make it a little rougher. I'm not sure that bho has the same effect as flowers. It's the immediate action on the bronchial passages from the vapor that opens them up, just like an inhaler. And like the inhaler, a single toke, otherwise the other stuff starts having an adverse effect.

A lot of that beneficial bronchial response is from the terpenes and other compounds in the flower material which is often lost through processing, GD as well, and is why I'm really liking the naturally decarbed ones that I've made recently. I can really tell a difference. I've eaten one dose of edible each of that last 3 days-cookie, hard candy and hard candy- and have been totally floored about how well and how long they lasted. all day and into the evening without toking. No pain and my body and head have felt great. :ey:

• Like Like x 3