Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. brass are you getting them wet when you do this or just placing them next to the water in sealed jar

2. Stiggy I've been using them for a few years and I haven't had one get hard yet either. They stay in a the same sealed jar whether it has medicine in it or not. I've got a bunch of quart and two quart. I wouldn't go without them now. I've had some go past two years, and like Sam said, the profile changes over time, but it doesn't turn to hay like it does without the packs IME.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Thanks Much all
    I have the paks in with herb now its been about 3 months and it tastes great
    Less filling Just was wondering on how long they last for.
    Very Cool

• Like Like x 3
  4. So "curing" is simply letting your herb dry at a certain consistent rate from the point it was harvested fresh.

How long does does it take before it becomes "overcured" and CBN and other degrading factors kick in where the potency suffers?

5. Drying is done the first week or 10 days to the mid 60s Humidity.. The (cure) takes place after that for about the next 60 days.. More time really doesn't change it that much more.. After 2 or 3 years you many have some start to degradation to lesser cannabinoids but I usually hash it all up before it can get much older then 3 months..
    My cycles run about 90 days apart so I'll hash up what's left in the jars a week or so before the next harvest..
    Had a few hits off my 2012 harvest and it's still got enough kick to feel it after a couple of tokes..

BNW

• Like Like x 5
  6. Natural Decarb Project
    Lemon Kush - Dry Material
    6 months
    Lk1c003.jpg LKRaw3.jpg

Select Image to Expand
    This project isn't quite as encompassing as the Blue Jewel project because it was already 8-10 months old when I got it and over half of the THCA had already converted, probably due to late harvest. This project is going to track the conversion with 6 month sampling. I have enough of this for several more samples and I'm hoping to pin down the approximate conversion rate. This material has not been kept in a controlled climate.

I've set up a few different scenarios with this material. I have some in a sealed jar with a humidipak, more in a jar with desiccant and another bunch of buds in a Whitman's Sampler tin can tossed in a corner somewhere. The original still had 15% moisture when I got it so I wanted to see if dryness would play a role in the rate. It doesn't.

We were starting to see a pattern with the Blue Jewel project that seemed to indicate that each year the conversion doubled, from 10% to 22% to 39%. The projection with this small sampling would be 80% at 3 years which would make it usable without decarb or it may be a different progression. This project is going to try to get a little more clarity on that.

With this project we aren't looking at the age from harvest since that is an unknown. Instead we are going to just concentrate on the conversion over a set period of time, 6 month intervals. For this posting, the initial sample showed that 60% of the THCA had converted to THC. In the second sample we see that after 6 months, 68% had converted.

We also see some increase in CBN as the CBDA has decreased. We'll keep an eye on those as the study continues.

I realize that not many folks are going to have 2-3 year old material but some do so this is more than just a statistical exercise. Stay tuned. :)

• Like Like x 6
  7. Before the humidipaks came along, curing was an important part of a slow drying process designed to maximize the cannabinoid and terpene/flavonoid profile and minimize mold and oxidation. The jars needed to be burped regularly for about 4 weeks. When medical cannabis became legal here a few years ago there was a lot of marketing hype around the "curing" process and it was often used as a reason to charge elite prices. There were places that would cure for 2-3 months or use special ceramic pots like the ancient Egyptians and other cultures to cure the buds for "seasoning", similar to using oak barrels to cure whiskey.

That was then but now, several years later, everything has become big business and as you mentioned, the dispensaries and others are doing the fast dry and putting on the shelf for sales. And because of that a lot of the distinctive taste and appearance has disappeared and been replaced with generic cannabis traits. I miss the days curing was considered important.

CBN seems to increase faster for dry material around the one year mark as some oxidation occurs. With a GD that starts occurring around the 3 month mark. :)

• Like Like x 6
  8. Hi Sam,
    I just wanted to check back in and say hello. I hope you've been doing well. Since first joining the site back in January, when you helped me figure out my cannabutter issues, I've started my first plant and my first journal on here. I'll be ready to make tinctures and butter in no time. Thanks so much for the help and inspiration.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Yes, I remember and I'm glad that I could help.

I also remember my first grow and journal. I knew nothing about anything and somehow stumbled through it with decent results for what I put into it. When she's finished let us know and we'll help. Save all your leaves as you go along. You can use the whole plant, including the root. :)

• Like Like x 4
  10. hey Sam Hope you are doing fine
    I was wondering about eating fan leaves, but I researched it and someyhing about the leaves having little hook like features .
    What they cause a problem if eaten in salad or sandwich?

11. I don't think it would, Stiggy. I would think a salad would be a good way to do it. There are some salad greens that have the same kind of hook structures. If you run your hand against the grain of the leaf you can feel it. You can try it and let us know if it wasn't a good idea. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  12. I know I have chowed down on a few Fans already and they were pretty big and did not taste bad either in the past
    I still here

• Like Like x 2
  13. Wow, thanks a lot! There's so much to learn.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I apologize. I'm not sure how the multiple posts occurred. I've reported them, and hopefully they will be deleted soon.

15. Don't worry about it. We're used to it. They're still getting the bugs worked out of the new format. :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Subbing in lots to read

• Like Like x 1
  17. And still going. This things got a life of it's own. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 4
  18. Hey Gus

• Like Like x 2
  19. welcome

• Like Like x 1
  20. Good Morning Sam, I hope that your day is off to a good start. You once directed me to a link that contained your recipe for Green Dragon. Would you please share that with me again?