Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Not cured but fully dry to the touch. The decarb will take care of the rest. :)

• Like Like x 4
  2. Have you tried the transfer from 151 to glycerine?

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

3. I have not done too much with 151 since 190 is plentiful where I live. I have done the transfer to glycerin from 190 several times and it's a real pain in the rear. There are saturation issues and because it is such a slow acting solvent, it needs a 2 week curing process at the end. Even then, it leaves a lot to be desired.

Since I don't care for glycerin anyway, I've just never had the desire to work out the details. I don't trust the stuff. Let me say that I have had a few successes with the 190 transfer but the rewards didn't come close to making up for all the aggravation and disappointment. Now if I want glycerin I just let it soak. :wacko:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gotcha. I'm just in a wierd position. I can't do alcohol ( stopped drinking it years ago therefore it gives me headaches) and I don't like the taste of coco oil, and pure glycerin tincs seem weak and the high dose of sugar keeps me awake. I'm trying to find a way to make a 50/50 water glycerin based tincture. I have about 8-10 ozs I can play with... I was thinking about following your directions (Dragon oil) to extract using 151, then transfer to glycerin, then cut it with 50% water.

If coco oil is the best I can do, then so be it.

5. And by the way, thank you for your dedication to this topic for guys like myself. I'm gonna be trying your methods real soon, as my stuff dries. I don't smoke anything, and tincture is my method.

I appreciate you.

• Like Like x 2
  6. I've been hearing some chatter about water and glycerin lately but have no clue how that works. Your thought that the pure glycerin tinctures seem weak is spot on and is why I have given up on it.

You know, you don't have to use coconut oil if you don't like the taste. And it doesn't stay liquid anyway. You could use MCT oil which is fractionated coconut oil and palm kernel oil that has been rendered into a liquid state and doesn't have a flavor. You could also use other oils as a carrier. Saturated fat, like coconut oil, isn't needed because you aren't extracting, just carrying.

You say the high dose of sugar keeps you awake. Is that from the glycerin? How are you with honey? You can make a great honey elixir with 151, better than 190 even, because the extra water from the 151 keeps the honey from losing moisture and becoming too think. A dropper of honey wouldn't keep you up at night. ;)

Thanks, Blaze. I'm glad that I can be helpful. Since many of the guides are old and rambling, if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask. I hope to be going back along and rejuvenating many of them with newer, better graphics and analysis. Someday, but in the meantime the current ones work okay. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 4
  7. Thanks! When the day comes closer to start I may message you for some advice!

• Like Like x 1
  8. And "knowing is half the battle.." G I Joe.....:smiley-rolling-joint:

• Like Like x 4
  9. Blaze..
    When I first started I wasn't very thrilled about coconut oil either and tried every other oil I had on hand and even bought a few others just to experiment with..
    Butter
    Olive
    Bacon Fat mmmmmmmmmmm tasty
    Crisco
    Avocado
    MCT
    and finally Coconut
    All work just the longer chain ones take 2 or even 3 times as long to hit..
    Coconut is special as it doesn't take any bile to be processed by your system.. All the rest of the oils and fats need bile to start the breakdown..
    Capping was my solution to the taste but after a while I no longer can detect anything but the hash flavor if I let the caps dissolve in my mouth..
    Do spend the time to track down a supply of Lecithin.. Liquid, granules, Powder, Soy or Sunflower.. It's your doubler, BASF, supercharger, nitrous, Read on (Lecithin encapsulation) for more info..
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  10. I get my weed from my cousin who works as a trimmer for a grower so I get hooked up nicely. The problem is because he works for a grower who isn't a fan of "curing" because of the high demand from local dispensaries I get very beautiful looking bud that would be "top shelf" to the eyes, but lacking because of little curing. Once I get my material from my cousin can I cure it myself and if so how can I and for how long? What does "curing" do that makes it so much better?

11. Also in each own's opinion and why, how do you like your cannabis grown? Indoor, Outdoor, or Green House? What is the difference?

12. Budd
    Whether you can cure it or not depends on how wet it still is.. It needs it's residual moisture content to be over 55% to cure.. Below that it's just to far gone.. You can re-hydrate it but it is usually a lost cause from my personal experience..
    Dump it into a jar with a pair of humidity gauges ( they are not that accurate sometimes so I use a known tested pair) and see what they read after 24 hours sealed up..
    65 to 62% is our target range.. Low enough to prevent mold but high enough to (cure).. I take about a week to 10 days from harvest to dry to the mid 60s then I jar with a 62% Boveda humidity pack and seal for 2 months..

We all tailor our grows around our own space, money, wives, what have you.. Personally I do and love my outside grows.. It's Southern California here and I can use the outside as my flower room year round.. All I need is a small 400 watt veg space and I get it done just fine.. Works out for the wallet too as we have some of the highest electric rates in the nation.. An indoor grow would have the wife all up my ass for the huge power bill..
    Most of it wouldn't pass visual muster for sale in a dispensary but since I hash most of it who cares WTH it looks like.. For potency mine still outranks any of the local stuff now.. It has to be something really good to even have me feel it.. Outside under the sun's full spectrum still kicks ass over the best artificial lights in my book..

BNW

• Like Like x 4
  13. Curing allows the enzymes in the material to continue to transform the cannabinoids into their genetic profile. It doesn't really affect the effects. It's more of a cosmetic or aesthetic issue. Use a sealed jar and the humidity packs to reduce the oxidation that occurs over time. Then "burp" your jar every few days. :)

• Like Like x 4
  14. It's all of the above as long as it works, Budd. :pimp:

• Like Like x 2
  15. BNW
    QUESTION
    Have you or do you leave the Boveda in for long term storage?

• Like Like x 1
  16. I'm not BNW, Stiggy, but I'm going to chime in on this since I know a bit about it. The Blue Jewel was held with a Boveda 62% humidipak for 2 years. You have to change them out occasionally. If you stop using them, the material, even in a sealed jar, will start drying out, oxidizing and losing potency.

There's quite a difference between freezing your material long term and storing it in the jars with humidipaks. If you want to retain the flavor and profile it had when fresh, freeze it at the peak time. That could be right after drying or after a 2 month cure. If you continue to keep it in the jar with the pak, it will continue to "cure" and the whole nature of the strain will change. The flavor evolves into something really stunning as the color starts to deepen. The profile is different, too, because the cannabinoids have continued to evolve.

I'm looking at my last bud of the Blue Jewel as I speak and it looks, tastes, smells and feels completely different than when it was fresh. Like aging a fine wine or cheese. :yummy:

• Like Like x 5
  17. OK
    Thanks Sam
    I was not aware that you ever used Boveda Pks I should have asked
    I was wondering about them. I have some herb I want to put down for a while but not freeze it
    I guess the best way is to freeze it.
    How often would you say replace the paks ?
    I heard they can be recharged with dis-stilled water method and not soaking them in it .

• Like Like x 2
  18. Stiggy
    My Boveda packs stay with the jars.. A few years and several cycles old now they've lost none of the flex or the moisture content they had when new.. A one time purchase as you can re-hydrate them if they do dry out

Exactly Sam.. I've 3 jars I've left alone for well over a year now and the smell and taste do develop further and change as it continues to age..

BNW

• Like Like x 6
  19. You can get some of the big ones for larger quantities. I've heard that you can recharge them but I haven't tried doing that. Just check on them occasionally and recharge or replace if they dry up. Since I live in the desert, mine do get hard after a while.

Freeze it once it's cured a bit if you want. There's a gamble in storing in the jar because you don't really know if the flavor or aroma is going to evolve ideally. Case in point, my Blue Jewel has changed from a floral, citrusy taste and fragrance to that of an olive orchard and an aged, fine olive oil or an overall Mediterranean touch. But I don't like olives, can't stand them. Fortunately, though, the effects have aged well and compensates. It's not that it's moldy or anything, which is always an issue when storing moist. Everybody else likes the way it is now and I can accept it....but I would have rather it retained it's initial profile in that respect. :huh:

• Like Like x 3
  20. Stiggy
    I use one of the big 60 gram size, 62% humidity packs per 1/2 gallon jar..
    Sam
    Placing a dried stiff pack in a jar with some distilled water will rehydrate the packs.. Do keep an eye on them and don't over hydrate.. They'll swell up like an overinflated balloon if left to long..

BNW

• Like Like x 2