Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. That's correct but you can also throw a second run in there if you want. [​IMG]

2. #8322 Buddwiser88, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
    What would a second run do? Just cleans it to make it taste better?

Also I just edited my last post where I added to make sure to get ENOUGH everclear by about an inch higher than weed in the jar to cover and extract it effectively.Not sure if you got it. Just had to make sure with this post.

3. It rinses the first run and gives you a few more percent of cannabinoids, not as much as the first run but enough to give it a boost. [​IMG]

4. How do you rinse beyond the first run? I've never done this before and I'm sure you explained a couple times on this thread, but I think I might have just skipped over them because I was just reading our conversations.

5. #8325 Buddwiser88, Oct 26, 2015
    "Rinsing" is when you take the bud you just strained and add everclear with that until covered, shake, freeze for 2 hours, shake, strain, and pour with the first strained batch that you first used the same bud with and evaporate when together. Correct?

6. It's in the guide at the front of the thread. Follow the guide. That's what it's for. [​IMG]

Correct. [​IMG]

7. #8327 Buddwiser88, Oct 26, 2015
    The power of feeling assured. I HAVE THE POWER!!! [​IMG]

Sorry I'm high right now and this is how I get [​IMG]

8. Don't let it go to your head. [​IMG]

9. #8329 Buddwiser88, Oct 26, 2015
    Actually I was hoping it only goes to my head LOL!

Hey Sam can I do 3 or more rinses or anything after 2 is just a waste of everclear?

10. Actually we do use the cannabis after 2 washes.

Save the medicine after you make the GD. When you have enough material that has already been run you then run a depletion batch.

Ck the index, if not there I will explain further.

11. Not sure if that answered my question (I was asking if the first and second run got most if not all of the THC extracted then wouldn't any more rinses after that be a waste of alcohol since there is nothing left to extract), but since you put it that way wouldn't the weed after being soaked (twice) be deprived of all it's cannaboids even after letting it dry out?

12. It's a matter of diminishing returns and isn't really worthwhile to do a third run. If you combine the leftovers with a lot of other leftover batches and really concentrate it then you get something you can use. Take a little of the wet material from the second run after straining and let it dry out then smoke it and see for yourself. [​IMG]

13. #8333 Buddwiser88, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015
    Damn! Talk about being efficient! What you guys are doing is good for the environment. [​IMG]

14. #8334 PsychedelicSam, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017

decarb chart4.jpg

kona raw1.jpg Kona decarb 1.jpg

This is probably the last of the test results for heated decarb since it now has been established that the parameters for a successful conversion is the same for newly harvested or aged up to a year at least. Not only does it show a 98.5% conversion rate but it also illustrates how to tell the approximate harvest time of the sample if you have an original, raw, sample.

By looking at the ratio of THCA to THC of each sample, we can see that the older one has considerably more THC than THCA due to the aging process but the point needs to be made here that it still took the same time/temp to get full conversion. That indicates to me that unless the material is so aged that it has less than 1/4 unconverted, it will still need 240/40.

We also see in this fresh material that more of the cannabinoids were retained than the older one. One interesting thing is that the raw sample had undetectable CBG, CBN and CBC but quite a bit of CBDA and the decarbed sample detects some fairly high values of CBG, CBN and CBC but no CBD which indicates that at this temp/time combination the CBDA is going directly to the other cannabinoids. And by conjecture, since it isn't listed, the raw sample had a good count of CBGA which is the building block that determines the ratio of the other cannabinoids other than the THC isomers. The CBGA works in conjunction with enzymes in the plant material to transform it into the other cannabinoids, like RNA, not DNA, in the human body. This is really the first of these dry samples that we've seen that at work but we've had a hint of with the GD samples

So look it over. I think it's enough verification to definitely say 240/40 is the way to go. I may have some two year old Blue Jewel to check again to get a better idea on aging but I suggest the full time/temp up to 2 years of age until I get results that show otherwise. If someone else has some aged material with the known age then this would be a good project if you have access to a lab and some curiosity.

flyingsmiley (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 2
  15. So Sam
    if I understand this correctly, than anything younger than 2 yr old has to be de-carbed 240 degs 40 mins before being used in edies?

16. That's my theory at the present time projected from the information we already have. We've seen that it takes that temp/time whether the material was a year old that's already half decarbed or a few weeks old with negligible THC. If it has over 75% conversion due to age then I think you could probably do a lighter decarb for the rest so that you can try to keep more cannabinoids. This is just conjecture at the present time, just some extrapolation since it's so hard to keep enough of something for testing over a matter of years which is the only way to really know, I guess. [​IMG]

17. That was all the 2yr old stock the last batch of pain cream did it in.
    Thought I had more, my buddy says we used it LOL smoked more likely.
    really thought there was more,
    If i find anything older than 1 yr still do the 240/40mins correct?
    The last batch of cookies came out pretty strong too so I can only imagine if we decarbed them before using.

I will find out have some nice new trim to bake with now.
    Oh the Stem tea came out very nice, had a sleepy effect within a half hour, but used a lot of stems.
    Thanks Sam
    What's up everybody?
    stiggy

18. It seems to me that once it reaches 2 years it's probably at the same decarb level as we have at 225/30. I've used 2 yr old material without decarb a lot and got great results and I probably would do the same today. The fact that you didn't decarb the material after that age doesn't matter with the topicals. Those cookies of mine at the time, using 225/30, probably had a lower conversion rate than your non-decarbed freezer stored older stuff. And you probably got more of the other cannabinoids since you didn't heat it.

There's a lot of factors at play and as we've seen, there may be reasons to not fully decarb so in a way it's going to wind up as personal preference instead. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. #8339 lgagenfunkel, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2015
    Sam the Man,
    Just want to give you a thanks for the most useful Decarb information currently available on the Internet. Just cooked up 2oz of buds that are currently in the freezer. I am super excited for this batch because it is the first time I got Everclear (took forever but got 8 bottles) and I got a new thermometer because I felt my old one wasn't quite on, and it was not at all.

More excited for this batch than any other. Your research does matter.

• Like Like x 1
  20. #8340 PsychedelicSam, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2015
    I'm excited, too, especially if that Everclear is 190 proof. 8 bottles should last a couple of days. That new thermometer should help. Let us know how it turned out. [​IMG]