Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. I posted this in another forum, but I'll include it here. I found out the reason I've been disappointed in my GD is that I've not been buying high grade cannabis. I just don't have a good connection. The weight is always right, but I realize now it's mids. I've talked to another guy who may be able to help me out.
    Thanks for in info about your tincture and hash, PSam.

2. #7862 STIGGY, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2015
    Joker
    Even if you get a hold of a growers trimmings from good plants
    Thats the best stuff to make tints from.
    Im sure Sam would agree
    But hey what do I know

3. Mids can be some pretty potent stuff so that term on it's own is misleading. Often mid-shelf offerings are outdoor grows or indoor ones that just didn't turn out as pretty as desired or is the smaller buds from lower branches. Most is outdoor and it often is "gray-market" whether you're in the legal states or the others. Delivery services, co-ops, compassion clubs and upper tier street dealers all rely on it for most of their inventory. Indoor growing hasn't gotten to the point yet that it can supply everything and because of that state governments kind of look the other way in legal states.

But the drought is making a major impact on the quality of this past year's crop and that is causing the potency levels of the ordinarily high level outdoor strains to drop. Even if outdoor growers can get some water to the ground, it's soaked up quickly by everything and with no rain or dew or anything, you start getting deficiencies such as lower yields and potencies. Unfortunately, all our farming is suffering because of the drought, not just cannabis. [​IMG]

4. All good thoughts, PSam. Thanks for the explanations.

5. #7865 PsychedelicSam, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    Major Policy Changes for P'Sam's Projects

From this moment going forward my Decarb process is changing for a heated decarb. I have had a number of lab tests run at different levels of decarb and have been able to determine that 30 minutes @ 225F is insufficient to convert all the THCA to THC or CBDA to CBD. There are tradeoffs with the other cannabinoids, though, and terpenes. This new policy should be considered by others who are hanging by the 225/30 minute scenario. There could be reasons not to do a full decarb on your material but that is reserved for future discussion.

New decarb policy is: 40 minutes @ 240F. I'll post the "proof" in a bit. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. What about older than a year?

7. #7867 PsychedelicSam, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    I'm pretty sure that older than a year might take a little decarb but 2 years is wouldn't need it, especially if frozen for that time because long term freezing also decarbs. I just don't have the material that old to test it. If I had some I would definitely have it tested just to see.

If you've used older weed without decarbing and got off well when you tried the product, you don't need to worry about it. I placed a year on it because the pot I had tested was 8-9 months old and only 3/5 of the THC had converted. [​IMG]

Edit: Due to further testing, THCA converts to THC through aging only 3% per year, taking a number of years to fully convert and by that time the other cannabinoids have started breaking down. Decarb all material. The paragraphs above are no longer valid.

8. Looking forward to the dissertation Psam --- I just got a batch of Third Dimension that I'm getting ready to 'dragonize', so this info is definitely timely....

9. I'm getting ready to finish the current breakdown with the earlier one then I'll get these that pertain to the decarb posted. There are three of them and you can compare them side by side. Should be before the weekend is over. [​IMG]

10. #7870 PsychedelicSam, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Natural Decarb Project

Lk1c003.jpg
    Now we come to the "meat and potatoes" of cannabis testing. This is the stuff that everybody wants to know about. The next page is the terpenes which would correlate to the "fruit and vegetables" category of the analogy, making them an equally important part of a balanced strain. We'll cover those on the next post. For this one, I'll go down the list and mention the highlights of each one, leaving you to read the more detailed description by the lab. In future tests I won't detail everything but since this is the first, I want to get you familiar with the background info. (Oops! Hit "post" instead of "preview")

The great thing about these test results is that they give you definitive things that the compounds are especially good at treating. The first compound is a good example:

CBG 0.113% Effective in treating inflammatory bowel disease and oral and prostate anti-tumor properties. If you had any of these ailments and wanted to maximize your treatment, you would look for a high CBG value.

CBN 0.184% Many of us relate CBN to sedation and the breakdown of THC but is also has anti-tumor properties that help with certain forms of lung cancer. But if you want to lessen the munchies, you may want to find a strain with less CBN since it's an appetite stimulant which is good for those needing to help the appetite.

â–²9-THC-A 4.184% This is the precursor to THC and is one of the compounds that is converted for effective ingestion. This compound is converted to THC when exposed to a heating element, lighter/ember or other heat source and also by aging.

â–²9-THC 5.599% THC is the major psychoactive compound, with â–²9 being the ace. â–²8 is less psychoactive and is often only minimal or undetectable in many samples. At the time of this test the lab didn't include â–²8 in it's profile but I convinced them to add it and we'll see some examples of that on a later test. THC needs to be converted from THC-A for edibles and tinctures to be activated and that process is called decarboxylation. It is this process this project was created to explore.

THCV 0.114% This compound has just recently been discovered to play a role in appetite suppression instead of stimulation, helps glucose intolerance and is an anti-spasmodic. THCV is also being studied for a whole array of other benefits, along with other newly discovered cannabinoids.

CBD-A 0.361% This is the precursor to CBD and is converted by the same method as THC-A. These acid forms of the cannabinoids don't mesh with the CB receptors of the human body because of that extra compound preventing it from locking with those receptors. CBD-A is more difficult to convert than THC-A.

CBD and CBDV were not detectable in this sample and this is an example of the difference in decarbing THC and CBD. In this instance we see that aging has decarbed/activated over 50% of the THC but none of the CBD. We'll see CBD in other samples that have been decarbed. CBDV is a newly discovered cannabinoid that is still being studied and is believed to be similar in function to THCV.

CBC 0.112% They're still learning a lot about this cannabinoid, too, but it has already been shown to promote bone and nerve growth as well as an anti-depressant and the usual anti-bacterial/fungal/inflammatory properties of a cannabinoid.

I would like to point out at this stage that I still don't know what the therapeutic ranges are for most of the compounds, nor does anyone else yet but we can use the general ranges for the THC & CBD compounds since they have been studied the most and we have the most practice with them.

The last section of the test is pretty self-explanatory and I won't go over it here other than to state that it is the total of the various cannabinoid categories.

This test is going to be used as the control for a series of natural decarb tests and for that reason, the low THC results have no impact. We'll be looking closely at the changing numbers. This will encompass both dry and tincture scenarios. While our current study doesn't incorporate freshly harvested material, it does represent the material that a large portion of our country has for our main source so it is a valid study.

Terpenes are next. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  11. Right on [​IMG][​IMG]

12. #7872 sickmanfraud, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2015
    You will be missed, even for a day.

Have a GREAT time and Be careful!!

13. HOLY MOLLY
    All I can say is ​
    Yum-o​

14. Hey Moderators...where the hell do my posts go?? This is absolutely ridiculous!!!

15. #7875 PsychedelicSam, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    sugar free cookies again.jpg

16. OK ordered coconut sugar and the agave nectar

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Sounds like Stiggy's going to make some cookies. [​IMG]

18. Sam I asked you already but I will ask here
    If I wanted to infuse only one thing , could I just do the butter?

19. Yes, that would be my recommendation. Butter is the easiest. It may take a little longer for the onset since it's a lipid but that also means that it will last longer. [​IMG]

20. Hey Sam, to evaporate alcohol I was thinking about trying to make a cylinder skeleton out of thick metal wire from clothes hangers with a candle inside and a place on top to rest a glass mason jar, but don't know much about alcohol evaporation and what temperature it ignites at. Do you think this would be safe to do? I was also wondering if this would damage any of the THC in the mixture?
    Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1