Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. A short update:

the acetone wasn’t the guilty one. The shake I used was really bad. Even the iso run didn’t made the final product good tasting. This shake was just garbage, but the acetone is good as well.

I made another runs with better material - the difference is really huge. I really love the taste of this oil.
    I even ingest my dose drop by drop so I can taste it a little longer in my mouth.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. did that bad shake turn to sediments during distillation?

I have crappy trim that doesnt produce floating oil, but rather, all the oil sinks and becomes 'black sand' sediments in the waste water.

• Like Like x 1
  3. No. But it tastes a little bit like hash with mushrooms. Does that makes sense?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Hi guys, me again.
    Being silent for couple of days because of tolerance break for just 3-4 days. I have hard times to kick my smoking habit - very undisciplined about that kind of things….so I got on a vacation for 4 days in a regio where weed is illegal.

So I love to spend this time doing some extra research and make a plan what to do next - it helps me getting through the days while being sober.

Oils are perfect and a total shotgun - I have multiple friends visited hospital after not listening to me and taking too much, so I don’t doubt about the potency. But especially when you try to quit smoking, you want something fast acting to kill the smoking impulse. That’s when alcohol tinctures come to play for me.

Tomorrow I am travelling back and I am going straight to proceed with a new tincture. I used the so famous last time AI to ask him couple of questions. I wasn’t very amused by his knowledge assuming the provided answers, but might be this is just a limitation set by developers.
    Anyway - there is a lot discussed and told here, but we must keep evolving, so I start digging deeper in the bioavailability of grain alcohol tinctures and saturation point of THC in alcohol - I think this are the key factors where we can improve some.

Asking about the bioavailability didn’t got me much smarter, but asking it about the saturation point of thc in grain alcohol, did gave me some results:
    “alcohol can increase the absorption of THC, which means that warm alcohol might have a higher saturation point for THC than cold alcohol. However, this might also depend on other factors, such as the concentration and purity of the alcohol and THC, and the presence of other substances in the mixture. suggests that THC is soluble at 20.2 mg/ml in 70% ethanol, but this is assuming pure THC extract and not plant material.”

So if we assume that our AI gave a correct information, this means that 95% alcohol will have higher saturation point than 70% ethanol. But if we assume 20,2mg per ml, a 30ml bottle will fully saturate 1gr/ml of RxCE assuming it has 80% of THC.
    I found that 10grams of shake will give you 1ml of oil - so 10 grams for every 30ml bottle will be the max - putting more will probably decrease the bioavailability as not all thc is dissolved in the alcohol and won’t enter the bloodstream sublingual or buccal - you will probably swallow it and it won’t get properly metabolised as there is no carrier like an oil for example.
    But what about warming it up? As it’s said, warm alcohol will have higher saturation point than cold alcohol. Next cook will be for the tincture - just following the RxCE recipe but I will dissolve the final oil in 30 ml of ethanol and will warm it up to 70C for a while - just to reacher that temp for couple of minutes and will take it out. Additionally I think to use 14grams instead of 10 just to check if this will leave a thin sticky layer under my tongue once the alcohol is absorbed - I think this is a clean sign that you are over the saturation point. If that’s so, I can always dilute it.
    I know that some people warm the alcohol when it’s blended with the weed and after that they strain it out, but this will dissolve so much nasty stuff I never tried it. Warming the ethanol with the final oil sounds much better I guess. I will keep you updated.

• Like Like x 1
  5. #26465 Tokintb12, May 11, 2023
    Last edited: May 11, 2023

Nano emulsion
    This was going to be my next step but figuring out how to deliver it is a pain
    I hit a brick wall and found out how stupid I was
    Buccal absorption needs something to hold the cannabis oil in place

Heated ethanol is the most common method of commercial extraction in some places
    It pulls a lot of nasty stuff making the crude a nightmare to filter
    The folks over on 4200 go in depth about it

• Like Like x 1
  6. @Tokintb12 , that's right up your alley. Are you going to get one?

7. #26467 Tokintb12, May 11, 2023
    Last edited: May 11, 2023

If I can figure out the best delivery system
    Carrier + recipe
    Sam had a brief discussion on getting the tiny droplets to the liver in one piece
    Transdermal patches are hard to make at home and regulating the dose is impossible
    Buccal absorption would be ideal for nano emulsion but again the carrier comes into play

Best bet is to lock it up in an edible and pass it to the liver
    Doing that already but this may accelerate onset but........

IMG_20230510_184459.jpg

I have a bunch of orders im helping with as surgery season starts
    Lots of sleep meds

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. That is why I've done Kat's capsules for so many years. Working in Kief and making mud there are no hot spots and all the capsules are identical. Dosing is simple just figure out how many of the 1 drop capsules you took and I'll make yours to order.

BNW

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Are you still using Thunderstruck for sleep meds? I am getting some live resin for a good price and will be able to make some Brass style caps that hopefully will work for sleep.

You do look pretty busy. Folks are lucky to have you with the care you put into your meds. My friends that need "sleep meds" from me like Snickerdoodles. Tincture or caps just don't make them happy. The infused PEZ were popular with naive users, but dosing was inconsistent. So Snickerdoodles it is. 1.5 to 2 grams per 1/3 cup oil makes ~36 cookies. A bite works for most.

10. Its the lock down recipe that never fails
    But it packs such a punch that nano emulsion seemed unnecessary
    Seemed like using it for the sugar carrier made more sense but getting those droplets infused into sugar water using high speed rotation and sonic waves....
    Instant crystallization
    Did not go down this rabbit hole as the syrup I made was popular with everyone
    Taught lots of bar tenders

• Winner Winner x 1

11. Thunder struck is all I use now
    The 10% THC/15% CBD seems to be a sweet ratio for newbies and experienced patients
    Trying to get them to make syringes of thunder struck

The syrup is the biggest request as folks use it during the day then take Brasscaps in the evening

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thank you for your reply. Our dispensaries are not providing any high CBD products. I will have to make something up by adding CBD to my Brass Caps.I have a bottle of 2,000 mg CBD in 30 mg MCT oil. I'll have to think about the best way to achieve something like Thunderstruck.

13. If you can get CBD flower you can mix the extractions
    It would be guess work for a couple of batches but it does not take much to dial in the proper ratios
    I'm researching the best way to work the CBG into the equation
    What constitutes a dose of CBG?
    As folks start moving around and hurt themselves my orders are going to go up
    I get everything from the dirtiest scraps to top shelf $600 an ounce flower
    Don't pay $600 for an ounce, $150 tops if you are buying in quantity

• Like Like x 1
  14. #26474 rpangelov, May 12, 2023
    Last edited: May 12, 2023
    I tried to find the post about the syrup, but maybe I didn’t saw it :( can you give a link to the post or shortly explain your recipe for syrup? I am interested to maken one. Does it hits faster than the capsules? I just made another 120+ caps with RxCE oil… ever sins I tried the caps, it’s a must have product in my stash!
    PS: I guess you mean syrup like to dissolve with water and drink, right ?

15. #26475 Tokintb12, May 12, 2023
    IMG_20230511_185632.jpg

Basically you make simple syrup, I use this recipe for shelf life
    Preventing Sugar Crystals in Simple Syrup | Cook's Illustrated

Then use the above gum mixture 210S, it is a mixture of xanthan gum (90%) and acacia gum or gum Arabic (10%)
    Modernist Pantry

I use .5 to 1 gram for every 100ml of syrup
    Split your batch of syrup into two parts and add the 210 S to one of the parts
    Pour your cannabis oil into the second part
    Use an immersion blender to mix the 210S into the syrup
    Take the newly mixed 210S simple syrup and pour it on top of the cannabis oil/syrup
    mix with an immersion blender

You mix part of the syrup and the 210S in a separate batch because the gums will bind with the cannabis oil first and create a gummy mass that is hard to distribute and hold in suspension

IMG_20230511_192152.jpg IMG_20230511_192201.jpg

Edit: My old videos were made on the fly while I was learning
    I knew nothing and it shows
    I'm planning new videos but I need an edible specific platform
    I get torched regularly

• Like Like x 1
  16. I am going to give it a try. What are the benefits of it ? I guess it works just as a regular edible, right ?

17. I have made simple syrup with and without 210S. @Tokintb12 's recipe with the 210s stays mixed and easily mixes into anything. My simple syrup without 210s had most of the oil stuck to the sides of the vessel.

• Like Like x 1
  18. #26478 Tokintb12, May 12, 2023

The syrup is Sams idea
    I did the R&D and final product
    He had liver issues and could not process the infused oil
    The syrup could be loaded with THC in a small amount of carrier
    Onset is about half the time of oil
    Duration varies

The syrup can be used as a base in sorbet or flavored with liquid and powdered mixes
    It was put forward as recreational and that's how I advertise it but more medical patients opt for it during the day because it is less sedating

• Like Like x 2
  19. Oh No! Well, at least cannabis doesn't kill like alcohol. How much oil did your friends ingest?

MCT oil is a good carrier. From others, It's supposedly helps in uptake. I can't verify that through my random experience using it. But ya know, straight out of the reduction pan to the gums, I get hit with a 'beer buzz' within 5 minutes. If my system is saturated with cannabinoids just under the threshold of feeling high, this bump will feel very strong as it pushes me over that threshold.

I'll post some interesting test results on yields in a few minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. #26480 CHSAdmin, May 12, 2023
    Testing RxCE Yield Losses

This week, I was asked about yield losses so I ran some simple tests with the results presented below. Quick summary – a 30 second soak leaves cannabinoids behind. A longer soak or 2nd soak may be in order to capture the residuals. But by all means, do not soak over 15 minutes. Tests have shown that after 15 minutes, long soaks only increase plant matter in the wash. A 1 minute soak with room temp 99% Isopropyl will be sufficient to capture 80% of trichome cannabinoids.

Here are the tests - the first four are controls where I washed the plant and boiled it straight down into crude oil, aka, RSO/FECO. The next three, I put them through the RxCE process. Here’s what I found. There is a minimum 25% loss compared to the 15-18% loss from winterization removal of waxes. The emulsion does carry away the bulk of this additional loss. You can boil down the waste water emulsion and recover that if you wish. Just stop when the oil and water separate, then cool it to 10c/50f and dump out the water. If you boil it all the way down, you will have concentrated dog piss flavored oil. The water soluble compounds taste terrible so use the same approach to collecting the oils as you did at the end of distillation.
    The plant I used was hemp with a 24% Total Cannabinoids with 17% CBD. Based upon the theoretical maximum, 2oz, 59g at 24% should deliver 14g of oil! But the reality of solvent based extraction, you will be lucky to collect 80% of that with the last 20% being exponentially more difficult. This is the 80/20 rule in the real world. Here is a table showing the results. I used 91% and 99% Isopropyl for the bulk extraction for these tests. Ethanol was used for winterization and final reduction.

I coined the term ‘Available Total Cannabinoids’ to mean the maximum available as seen in the control cases. As you can see, a 10 minute room temp soak resulted in 7-8g of crude oil, well below the 80/20 rule if the Certificate Of Analysis is correct. The COA is presented below.

My best yield happened with a 10 minute soak, but this doesn’t guarantee the same high potency. I have sent Blu#2 and Red#2 to the lab for potency testing and will publish the results asap.

Red label control case shows an 8g yield, but the actual test run reflects only a little higher yield. Interesting enough, this plant was decarbed up front in the oven using the classic 40 minutes at 115c/240f. both cases resulted in oil that runs like thick salad oil, the viscosity is much lower than standard RxCE, RSO or FECO. More on this in the near future. I running another round of tests to verify this. I do not yet know the ramifications potency, a sample has been submitted to the lab for testing.

Edits: Spelling correction.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1