Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. OK maybe double boiler all the way is safer for me then, as I’m only doing small amounts.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Off topic: I homebrewed for a dozen or so years and accumulated a lot of stuff including the speed controller. Used it to lower the wattage delivered to a immersion heater to prevent scorching.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Those of us who use them use them often and learn the little idiosyncrasies each has. I'd really be inconvenienced without mine. It's small and can be set out of the way and it's reliable. If you have 5oz of GD to reduce for rso then it may take a day for it to reduce by half. It starts going quicker after that. :mellow:

• Like Like x 1
  4. #25744 Paintfly, Nov 30, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Won’t be needing the coffee warmer. My hot plate on lowest setting keeps a steady 80C. Should have my first RSO soon without having to stand over it until the very end. :D

• Like Like x 3
  5. I’ve just used a fan blowing across the surface to reduce it down. Works well and no need to monitor it. Works better in a dry climate or room. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  6. [​IMG]

I've always just used a fan to finish reducing RSO.
    This is a 110 CFM and rolls the water well.
    Overnight and it'll be down to Tar.

[​IMG]

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  7. Agreed :rolleyes:
    I’ll stretch a nylon pantyhose over the top just to keep the dust from being blown onto the surface too!:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 4
  8. I’m only ever gonna be processing 10g max of anything, so I’m happy with my set up. Only took a couple of hours as well.

• Like Like x 3
  9. 80c= 176f, after 100°f I think you start losing good canniboids , I always try to keep it under 100° or just use a fan . One time I let the GD nat decarb for 4 months, it was delicious! No heat ever ,just a fan.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Agree about the natural decarb
    The best tincture product out there
    I let mine go to 6 months and it was sweet
    Good things come to those who wait, for once its true

Just starting the experiments with filtering
    This type of carbon may allow me to eliminate the celite and as an added bonus it can be filtered with slow flow filters and the carbon can be recovered and cleaned for reuse in theory (hot alcohol bath followed by boiling water bath)
    Should be able to find something on YouTube to give me a hint at the process
    We are talking about 6-8 grams at the most so small amounts of ethanol for cleaning
    IMG_20211203_211600.jpg IMG_20211203_211721.jpg

Here is the first tincture done with the carbonX and filtered through a celite puck
    Not the recommended way to filter from the site but it worked
    Essentially I will do reductions first after my initial filtering and then filter with the carbon in a test tube by agitating and adding more carbon to attain the color I want
    Filter through the buchner on a paper filter and cross my fingers it doesn't go through to the filter head
    The particle size is noticeably larger than the activated charcoal
    I hydrated the mango powder and will try a gummy recipe again except I will follow an actual recipe this time
    Basically made some Frankenstein jelly with the other batches

I'm satisfied with the product enough to contact the company and begin asking questions about their claims
    Devoid of harmful by products that exist in activated charcoal, preservation of cannabinoid and ability to be recycled
    Too good to be true

Calibrating my magnetic stirrer so I know the temps of the hot plate
    I like toys you can take out of the box and start playing with them
    This directions crap sucks

Hope you are feeling ok Sam
    Coffee, some wicked flowah and boredom has me rambling
    Take care of yourself

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fascinating. I’ve forgotten exactly why you’re attempting to filter for improved clarity in this way, but it raises a few questions for me, which is the fact that my unreduced gd that started out an attractive olive green has turned rust brown after a week or so in my fridge. I assume it’s something to do with the chlorophyll content oxidising & won’t have any impact on potency?
    Furthermore, does a natural decarb actually increase or just preserve maximum potency and is that a tincture that wasn’t originally carboxed prior to making the gd? Does a fast reduction to RSO mean a certain loss of potency?

• Like Like x 1
  12. #25752 Tokintb12, Dec 4, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    Right now I'm researching what the waxes, lipids and coloring do to the degradation of the cannabinoid
    For folks using their tincture quickly it is not a problem
    For the four month decarb it may have some degradation in potency after the four months but not enough for it to matter
    The term loss of potency is tricky because the tincture will "degrade" but that is not always a bad thing
    The profile of the tincture changes as compounds degrade into other compounds

Your spot on for the change in color
    I think it is chlorophyll and xanthophyll that are present and subject to degradation

I filter for taste
    The "plant" taste makes edibles inedible to me
    Eventually I want to grow and it is a pain to make a concentrate like rosin or shatter and then make your tincture
    Easier to just go from flower to tincture with a good carbon scrub in between
    Also do molecular gastronomy with my tincture reductions so all the excess material in the tincture makes it difficult to achieve the results you want
    Want the syrup I'm making to have a wide range of uses out of the squirt bottle
    From making a drink to adding some gelatin to make a gummies or pouring a dose over some ice cream or a piece of cake

The new carbon I'm using is suppose to be devoid of the carcinogenic byproducts of activated charcoal as well as preserving cannabinoids which was the big problem with activated charcoal

IMG_20211204_080749.jpg
    This tincture has been in the freezer for almost a month and there is no change in the color
    Trying to figure out a place to do thin layer chromatography
    I have cats and it is too dangerous to attempt to do it with them in the house, they can open all the doors
    Until I can determine the potency a lot of this is just bluster
    This tincture was scrubbed with activated charcoal and celite 545

I think the natural decarb preserves more of the terpenes profile
    If you reduce under low heat then you will only evaporate some of the compounds from my limited understanding
    My ultimate tincture is an extraction scrubbed with the carbonX and given the 4 month natural decarb treatment

Then you can buy terpenes and reintroduce them to your processed tincture but that gets into taste

Really need to stop posting hopped up on caffeine

• Like Like x 3
  13. It’s all good data.
    I’m investigating weed//c.oil/lecithin caps.
    1g of what I can buy makes 5 decent doses. I would love to grow, but it’s illegal where I am. I have feelers out for some hash, but nothing so far, so next experiment will be RSO/oil/lecithin caps.
    Getting about 50% less return on my weed, with edibles but it’s for a good cause - lungevity. Think I’ll hang on to the vape for emergencies only though.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Trying to equate edibles and vaping/smoking is nearly impossible
    I miss smoking a joint while watching a movie or game but you get use to it
    To me oil is the most efficient bang for the buck
    My experience is that a good decarb and extraction gets me through the week longer than vaping
    When I use oil there is no vaping as it will instantly green me out and typically one dose in the late morning of about 25mg gets me to bedtime
    However no driving or power tools
    That's why I like the sugars
    More energetic high with a shorter duration and quicker onset that can be raised with a micro dose of concentrate

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. As an outside backyard grower I have buds to waste so 95% gets turned into high grade Kief. I'm also in Southern California with access to good dispensary products like high end Concentrates.
    For me personally in order of grading it's.

Kief-Hash capsules Coconut oil-Lecithin. These remain the best for daytime use as I'm stoned but functional.

Bud based next. You'll need 3x more and the stone isn't quite as clean. It's got a bit of clumsy but nothing like RSO has.

Concentrates are to skewed to the pure THC side and edibles from them are really Jittery / edgy. I find these to THC "Hot" for my taste. My buddy TTS liked them but he was into dabbing the near pure THC concentrates too.

RSO has the other end of the spectrum problems.
    2 left feet, Mouth full of marbles, Head full of sticky cotton candy.
    In really high doses it feels like I need to pee but can't. Just a wicked urge. Thought it might just be me but when I queried people I give them to I got reports from both men and women of the same effect.

I'm talking enough to make you crawl because your to wrecked to stand. Edge of the Spins Heroic dose time.
    300mg and up usually means your in for a high dive into the really deep end of the pool.
    [​IMG]
    LMAO.

For most of us the Lecithin takes the edible oil up several notches both strength and duration.
    [​IMG]
    Each Capsule contains 0.166666666 Grams of hash and lasts me all day
    5 grams of hash fills 30 (0) capsules for 75mg each. for me it's a 1 month supply.
    5 grams of bud also fills 30 caps at 25mg each..
    Figure Hash is 3x the kick as Buds.

Even if your a hard to stone like I am a half gram of bud a day is a 75mg hit and a crippling one for most people.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  16. I agree, the sugared edibles are preferred here . Gonna make rso tommorrow and infuse in honey with some fresh ginger.
    I was giving a piece of 25mg chocolate this past wknd, it was very nice!
    225 mg, 10 pieces, $ 25
    KIMG5821.JPG
    So today I made 14 pieces,
    1/2 cup choc chips
    1/4 cup coconut bits
    3 grams decarb bud ,powdred
    36mg each. If you let it melt slow , it's like a tincture ,without the burn.
    KIMG5836.JPG
    KIMG5821.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  17. Instead of taking one weedcap every 2 hrs as on the first day, I took 2 yesterday & got a solid 6 hr buzz on with loads of energy, which powered me through a very satisfying day of DIY without any klutz moves or butterfingers. Topped up with a dose of honey, later, which didn’t seem to do all that much.
    I wondered if maybe the oil was settling in the jar, but nothing obviously visible held up to the light, so I gave it a good stir today anyway & it’s a much improved effect.

Still waiting for caps to arrive. I had to raid the medicine cabinet for the weed caps & empty out some probiotics. Size 1 I think judging by the chart.

• Like Like x 3
  18. #25758 Tokintb12, Dec 5, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    IMG_20211205_115523.jpg

Getting a cheap capsule filler is well worth it
    I do caps once a year and ate one I found in the freezer that was a year old
    Knocked me on my ass and I did not have any issues with the oil going rancid
    Lots of filling methods from a funnel and straw to my favorite a rolled up piece of paper with an elastic around it
    If you are making flower caps grind that flower up fine and wear gloves
    Above all, read Brassnwoods thread
    That kid going off the diving platform is the best representation of cannabis oil hitting you
    I nice long fall followed by splat

• Like Like x 3
  19. Yeah, no worries I read the whole thing. I’m going cautiously with the oil cap method. But definitely like what I’ve experienced so far. And not adding any extra sugar to my diet is a big bonus. I’m not much of a chocolate eater.

:cool::blink::D

• Like Like x 3
  20. Diabetes or heart disease
    Pick your poison
    You can infuse sugar substitutes
    IMG_20211205_133040.jpg IMG_20211205_140123.jpg IMG_20211205_141156.jpg IMG_20211205_142134.jpg IMG_20211205_143546.jpg IMG_20211205_143929.jpg IMG_20211205_144448.jpg IMG_20211205_144718.jpg IMG_20211205_144725.jpg

Mango syrup without a hint of cannabis taste
    Using the powdered fruit and giving it a good grind and then hydrating is the best flavoring I have come across
    I think I'm there
    Thorough enough filtration with the right flavoring to cover up the cannabis taste
    Can't wait to mix it with my favorite barbeque sauce on a roast beef sandwich

One thing I should mention is that you can infuse a couple of tablespoons of simple syrup with a lot of mg and measure a dose in an 8th of a TEASPOON
    Your sugar intake would be minimal

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1