Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. That's reasonable as long as it doesn't put you in a bind for your stash. It's not going to be a really good product anyway but it should pack a punch as a drink. Why don't you give it to someone who does drink and they can make infused cocktails with it? I'd hate to see it just go to waste.

Just chalk this one up to experience and come back here when you do the next one and we'll walk you through to a really nice tincture. :ey:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. #25302 evildave333, Aug 11, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    Thats a good idea i will gift it 2 a friend, before i do that, i will do a slow reduction of a portion of it 2 confirm whats what. I will share the results it might save someone else from the same mistakes at least. Im curious if anyone has made the same mistake on here, and if they redeemed it? Its stands to reason that a longer soak should help a little?

I understand that all the jollies wont dissolve in a 43% vodka, so I think I will freeze the strained plant material after this run and go again at higher proof next time (Ive read elsewhere that even with everclear a 2nd run is worth it).

• Like Like x 4
  3. #25303 BrassNwood, Aug 11, 2021
    [​IMG]
    Parts A & B well frozen
    [​IMG]
    Combine and shake well.. 10 seconds is all I do.
    All the Trichome heads were melted open in the first few seconds of contact and the Cannabinoids are in suspension. Longer gets you more Chlorophyll and plant waxes and doesn't improve the stone any,

[​IMG]
    1 inch of wet weed at a time is about all the potato ricer will press
    [​IMG]
    Run back in the bottle through our trusty 160 micron mesh it's good to go. I work outside as this will stain anything it touches and I've long been banned from the house with my sticky, smelly, Canna works. :)

This is a 3/4 full quart jar of medium grind Decarbed Buds and not trim-fans.
    A full fifth of 151 Everclear. It's just enough Alcohol to agitate the plant material when shaken.
    Vodka done at this ratio of weed to booze will give a respectable Tincture make no mistake and think it won't extract..
    Strain it now as it won't get any stronger and discard the weed . It's long useless.
    I'll get back about 500ml of the 750ml (Fifth) of 151proof I started with.

Try an Eyedroppers worth in the mouth.
    If you can't take the burn dilute it with 50% water and try again until you can swish it around like mouthwash for 30 seconds before swallowing.
    Wait 10 minutes
    If not stoned
    Repeat and take 2 eyedroppers worth
    Wait 10 minutes
    Take 4 eyedroppers worth and wait again.

Keep doubling until it works.

Even a single ounce of alcohol ( Shot or Beer) will make me miserable the next day but in tiny amounts below 1/2 a shot it doesn't seem to affect me. As long as the tincture is strong enough I'm safe enough to use it as medication.
    It has advantages as it's speed of effects is equal to smoking for me. If I'm in pain I don't want to wait 45 minutes for an oil based medication to take effect. Alcohol will start working in under 3 minutes for me. It just doesn't have the staying power of an oil on my issue.

If you have to avoid all contact then you'll want to take the solvent transfer route and infuse an oil and evap the Alcohol.

BNW

• Like Like x 4
  4. Thanks I will try this method next time around, really appreciate the pics and details. For this run I have just over 2oz buds decarbed into 1.2l of 43% vodka (just enough to cover the bud) Im thinking to keep 200ml as is and then reduce the majority right down to about 1/5 volume. This reduction is drastic and will remove most of the alcohol so I figure keep a little back and then recombine with what I saved. Im hopeful there will be some value to the finished product in terms of strength, although I appreciate the volume will be small (im hoping it will all recombine with a good shake). If this is hairbrained lol at least I will learn from it ;-)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Unless your going to take it all the way down to RSO grade tar it's best to use low proof tincture as it is. It won't take much reduction before the cannabinoids start to collect as oily black specks and by then it's to late.

Just a heads up what to watch for. I've worked in 151 and a run or two of 100proof when that was all I could get.
    You get real tired of fighting water working in low proof Alcohol based Tinctures. Now this state only sells 120 proof and it's stupid expensive.

BNW

• Like Like x 4
  6. #25306 PsychedelicSam, Aug 11, 2021
    Remember that this material is still not going to be decarbed when you use it again. Dry it out first and then give it some time in the oven to decarb fully. Then add it to your new material.

Oh, we've had lots of people pass through here who have done the same thing and the answer is usually the same...use 190 proof alcohol next time if they didn't or to evaporate all into RSO or do the 4 month natural decarb and I'm not sure that will work as well with all the water in the 40%. Because it's alcohol and can explode other methods using heat to decarb are not appropriate. If it had been oil instead of alcohol you could have easily decarbed it.

I always recommend a small batch the first time anyone makes something new then it's not as big an issue to toss it out. Also, a long soak just pulls out more polar compounds like chlorophyll. The trichomes are stripped within the first few seconds of exposure to the alcohol. Don't use 151 if you can avoid it. 190 gives the best quality tincture. Anything less and you have to reduce to oil first and that changes some properties. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Instead of coconut oil, I think I'll try capric/caprylic triglycerides. It's safe to eat and I have some in my lab.

• Like Like x 1
  8. That should work well. Coconut oil has been used mainly because of it's saturated fat content for infusions. A solvent transfer takes away the need to use it since all the oils will work as a carrier. You can use other oils to target where your dose will be processed, kind of like a time release. Let us know how that works and if you notice any difference between it and coconut oil. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thanks for your replies and advice its been helpful. Ive done a deep dive on this and been reading all day fascinating stuff!
    Well Ive decided to go ahead and reduce the solution after a week of steeping at room temp, I used a very low heat over 3 hours in a water bath and got it down to 50% ( I stopped at the point I could see specks precipitating out. After it cooled and filtered I combined about 400ml of reduction with 200ml of original tincture (still need some preservative alcohol). Just had a taste it's delightful, the alcohol level is noticeable, but doesn't burn i'm guessing its around 5% abv now. Well Im sat here nicely buzzed off of 10ml so im sold on tinctures! In this new Covid era im giving my lungs a rest and going to switch to tincture going forward.
    Although this method had not been at all efficient this time, its "proof" that using 43% alcohol will work to a degree, but requires more / higher quality material and a reduction at the end to concentrate it. Time to improve technique and then use some of these superb recipes on here, the start of an interesting journey!

• Like Like x 4
  10. Here's another thought. I've made chocolate before now, it's easy. Basically if you want say 80% solids you weigh out the cocoa powder (80g) and cocoa butter (20g), melt the butter, add the cocoa, combine and put in a mould in the refri. So just add decarbed herb to the cocoa butter. That should do it.

• Like Like x 4
  11. I've infused the cocoa butter for chocolate before. I believe that works best whether you extract to it or just add the decarbed herb for a more herbal flavor. :mellow:

• Like Like x 3
  12. That sounds good. I am definitely going to try this. I think I still have about 1Kg of cocoa butter, and I'm close to harvest.

• Like Like x 4
  13. I tried the capric/caprylic triglycerides idea. Just as well I only experimented with a small amount. It tastes disgusting. Honestly I cannot recommend it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Thanks for letting know that. I certainly won't be giving it a try now. :blink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Maybe a repetitive question of me, but why use large quantities of alcohol and evaporate after to concentrate instead of grinding it to powder and use much less quantity of alcohol?

For example - I use 70ml of alcohol for 10grams of powdered weed. I finish with 50ml of pretty concentrated tincture.

Are there any advantages of using more alcohol and evaporating after to concentrate?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  16. You don't have to use a lot of alcohol. It's dependent upon the quantity. You have to have enough to cover it by .5-1 inch. If you're using 2oz of flower then that's going to take a lot of alcohol to cover it. And in most cases that's going to be kind of weak before concentration.

It's all about the alcohol saturation, how much it can hold. And that's why I use a rinse after the initial extraction. The rinse adds another 25% potency and is the main reason you should reduce it. That adds more alcohol but it's not going to be as strong as the first so you need to concentrate. I prefer to use enough alcohol to ensure I get the best extraction.

Grinding it fine will greatly increase the chlorophyll and it also absorbs more of the alcohol which you can't get back. Since you ingest the weed with your tincture that shouldn't be an issue. :)

• Like Like x 4
  17. Hi Sam
    This is a hash rosin raspberry lemonade from the festival
    IMG_20210814_210024.jpg

I can make the lemon base for the lemonade by flavoring the simple syrup I make during the prep for the infusion
    Do the infusion and then add the raspberry flavor
    Think the fluidity will be the same but the cannabis oil will be dispersed and should stay that way
    What I am unsure of is the material on the surface of the lemonade in the pic
    Is this psychoactive material or just meaningless sediment?
    Any opinion appreciated

Obviously we have to do a hash rosin raspberry lemonade
    Have a bit if rosin to spare

• Like Like x 2
  18. Did it look like that when you got it or after it sat for a while? It looks like cannabis skim to me. No emulsifier or an insufficient amount unless they used real raspberries and didn't filter well. It looks more like the cannabis to me, though. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  19. #25319 Tokintb12, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Honestly I did not notice any sediment when I bought it
    It has been sitting for a couple of weeks and needed to be used

It looked like the cannabis had separated but I do not have a lot of experience with commercial infused liquid

The bottled syrup I bought looks interestingly familiar.......;)
    He has been making it for a couple of months
    IMG_20210815_095027.jpg IMG_20210815_095036.jpg

It is advertised as a nano emulsion
    I may go ahead and get the homogenizer with sonication just to take this the final step
    I think folks are right and the absorption is increased significantly
    Also would like to mix oils to see what happens

Got clobbered on the compote for it NOT being a compote until I explained
    I strip down recipes, including the base recipes, to make them more versatile
    This particular "compote" recipe can have the apples added immediately or you can hold off and add apples at your leisure
    The absence of butter allows the syrup part to be used in drinks or solid edibles
    The syrup with butter when dropped into a beverage with ice tends to separate, solidify and float
    You can have a traditional compote with the syrup (directions a few pages back) but it limits it to solid edibles
    It just might be a case of using the right emulsifier to make things hold together but its asking a lot of an emulsifier to disperse and hold in suspension a fat or oil in cold with ice

Still need to explore the interaction between the gums and oil/fat
    61slbZgwTeL._AC_SX679_.jpg 6196BHReWZL._AC_SX679_.jpg 717T3cCgtWL._AC_SX679_.jpg 71H6D+zmfYL._AC_SX679_.jpg

May opt for this instead of the boxed homogenizer
    About half the price and probably better suited for my needs

• Like Like x 4
  20. Hi Guys
    I am trying to gather info on Delta 8 and anything worthy of knowing.
    Any ideas or clues ?

• Like Like x 2