Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. @Lauren85
    Once it's fully evaporated to tar you also have the option to add more alcohol (high proof) and work the tar back into suspension.
    I don't do this as I work in edible oils far more then Tincture. I can't advise you on how well it de-concentrates from the tar stage back to Tincture.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  2. #25202 PsychedelicSam, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    This is the way it would look if you used 151. The only difference is you've got more water so it will take longer. You can add more fresh alcohol when it's evaporated if you want tincture or dissolve it in oil/butter for other things. That's basic RSO. :)

Edit: Darn it ! I always forget the link so I can't blame it on something else.
    Detailed Reduction & Concentration Guide w/video for 151 Proof Green Dragon

• Like Like x 3
  3. Thank you P Sam! So you agree best course of action is to just add coconut oil and not bother with trying to add a little everclear back into it to make the “tincture?”
    P.s. I hope you feel much better soon!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Aww Sam hope you get to feeling better.

Sent with more cow bell!?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. No, I recommend just boiling all the water out then either add fresh alcohol to give it the strength you want for a tincture or an oil like coconut. Something that might influence my choice is all that water from the bath and the minerals or leftover Dawn from that water. I admit that I don't scrub my pan I use for a water bath with alcohol first but those extra minerals could change taste which is important for tinctures. If you're only making oil caps or even general purpose oil then taste won't make a difference since you usually don't taste the oil itself.

Keeping that in mind, if you only used 7g or less and it's not a hardship, just chalk it up to experience, make some oil instead and try the tincture again. Don't place a cool jar in the hot water even if it's a name brand like "Ball". Definitely don't trust "generic" jars or repurposed jars but it's best to just put the jar in the water on the pad while the water is cold and let them heat together.

Generally most people who break jars go on to use the coconut oil because it's the easiest thing and taste can matter. If you were wanting to use it for different solvent transfers like for tincture gummies or hard candies then you'd want to use the alcohol.

Believe me, we've covered this topic nearly as much as any any other. :rolleyes:

Thank you. :)

• Like Like x 5
  6. #25206 Samelie, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Hi PsychedelicSam - back again. Hoping you can help me.

I have had a search through here and threads you have commented on but I have dyscalculia and just can’t seem to figure it out the best ratio for this mix.

I’m super keen to try the infusing into butter and honey for edibles (pork goulash, carbonara, lavender shortbread, mashed potatoes, honey joys…. I’m genuinely excited ha!)

I have 7g of good bud, 13g of what I think is sugar leaf w/stem and approx 30g of fan leaves and stem.

1 x 500ml bottle of 95% vodka.

I’m intimidated by reducing. Lack patience, concentration (ADHD) and I also can’t seem to keep consistent heat (over heating and having to cool so worried about ruining it).

I used 10g of bud to 90ml using your method last time - no reduction and dosed with 3 ml. It was amazing. I sent care packages out to my friends in lockdown who had no access to anything else and we all had a lovely time x thank you for that! Xx

My question is if I combine all 3 of what I have how much of the vodka should I use for optimal recreational highs without having to reduce?

Once I figure out dosage after this would you mind terribly if I came back to you to get help in knowing how much to infuse into my butter/honey?

I’ve said it before but thanks so much. For your effort into the the experiments and information you put in here! we (my friends, their parents and I) are all very grateful for your sharing. Medicinal and rec x

• Like Like x 4
  7. I think we can handle those things pretty easily now and whenever you want to try the honey. As for your current project, do you plan to use all that material then make honey? The reason I ask is that honey has a delicate flavor. That fan leaf is going it make it taste "green". That's not bad but just a heads up.

You don't have to be intimidated by the reduction as long as you have some ventilation. It's not nearly as volatile as hydrocarbons like butane or propane. You want your reduction at a steady rolling boil. You can get that around 165-170°F. Ethanol boils at 173° and the temperature isn't going to get higher than that as long as the alcohol is boiling. The temperature of the tincture won't get higher until most of the alcohol has evaporated and it's starting to thicken into RSO. If you turn your heat up the alcohol will boil faster but still retain it's 173° or turn it down for a slower reduction. It's pretty easily controlled once you've seen how it works. :)

• Like Like x 3

8. I plan to use all the bud, the sugar leaf and as much of the fan leaf as I need to to get a good GD base. I just don’t know how much of everything to use seeing as it’s all mixed and don’t want to waste anything :)

then I will infuse the GD into the honey/butter.

I thought if I had the GD tincture too hot that I would deminish the psychoactive/thc properties? Xx

• Like Like x 2
  9. I had just wanted to give you a heads up on that in case it made a difference.

The GD just boils faster. If you're using a narrow vessel then one of the things to be aware of is that it could boil out of the vessel. If it looks like that may happen just turn it down until you get it bubbling comfortably. It gets much easier the more you do it. :mellow:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Hey howdy PSam....I swing thru on occasion to check out the guide to see if there's any updates n I thought I'd take a crack at making a batch of tincture w a concentrate. Been "old schoolin' " w bud till now using the old recipe and that looked super ez. Very hard to find some strains but now and then they show up as concentrates and I scored some Dirty Girl. 1gm sugar wax. The concentrate decarb went as smooth and quick as could be. Came out very yellow and very hazy. I figured the haze was the wax part so I filtered it, twice, bottled, and refrigerated....after sampling. Very nice kick. I just took it out of the refer from overnight and it's very hazy. Almost gel like. I used Everclear and baked it in oven in beaker. What d'ya think?? More filtering?
    Harley :coffee:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hi, there, Harley. It's good to hear from you again.

I have found that some shatter has a ton of waxes and it needs to be filtered sometimes. A lot depends on the strain. You should have gotten everything visible with those two filter but putting in the fridge could have dropped more waxes out. Every time you filter that little bit of alcohol you'll lose some to the filter. I'd let it warm up to room temperature then see what it looks like. It's just esthetics and won't hurt anything. :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hey I'm gonna be attempting to make my first tincture wanted to know if anything could be added or any advice to what I'm gonna be doing.

I couldn't get everclear unfortunately, shits illegal here now and I wasn't aware of it. Ended up settling with knob creek whiskey 100 proof (50%) but I planned on just throwing decarbed bud in 750ml worth of whiskey and letting it sit for about 3 weeks, shaking it once a day. Only thing I wasn't totally sure about was the amount of bud. I was thinking about an ounce. But yeah just trying to see if I could do anything else or what not. Thanks much!

Sent from my LM-X420 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  13. Greetings, Hybrid Civilian, and thanks for joining our conversation.

You're not going to be able to make a potent tincture with that but you can make a good cocktail with it. All I mean by that is you'll have to drink enough of the alcohol that it would influence the buzz. 100 proof is 50% water so you need to use a lot to reach the same level of extraction and then you're not able to concentrate it because of the water, too.

If that's what you want or okay with then decide how strong you want it. Let's use 15% for an example. If you use 14g then you've got approximately 2100mg. 750mg will give you 25 30ml doses which then would be about 84mg per dose. You can double that with an ounce but using more would be a waste with this method. This has just been a vague example and your mileage may vary.

You may be able to order the high proof stuff online that's deliverable in most states. It's really a different animal that what your doing right now. I highly recommend it.:sneaky:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Appreciate the response man! Yeah I know making this it'll be a lot less potent than if I had everclear and to kinda compensate I was gonna up the amount of weed I put in the alcohol. I was originally gonna do a ounce for the 750ml bottle of whiskey but I threw in a extra half ounce. You think that will be okay? Or should I try and aim for 2 ounces. I'll look into making it better later on if I can get some everclear or something strong like it. I got plenty of bud to use up from last harvest so no worries on that part of it.

• Like Like x 3
  15. [​IMG]
    I do a near full quart jar of decarbed bud to a full fifth of 190 proof.
    Just enough Alcohol to agitate well when shaken.
    Shake 10 seconds and Done.

[​IMG]
    Tincture making day.

[​IMG]
    I'll get back 500ml of the 750 I started with. Rest is trapped in the wet weed and I'll recover the booze later.
    No real need to concentrate done this way. An eyedropper or two should hit like smoking half a doobie.
    ============================================
    After California banned everything stronger then 120 proof I started buying 190 proof out of state as that is still legal.
    Eventually shipping became a killer so now I just buy cheap store brand 80 proof Vodka and redistill it. I bought the still to recover the Booze from the Tincture as I make most of that into RSO for folks with medical issues.

[​IMG]

The 3 gallon pot still was one of the better $100.00 I've ever spent.

BNW

• Like Like x 3
  16. Morning...Thank you. I wondered about the lost material w each filtering. I was very surprised at the amount of wax that filtered out. I'm curious if filtering it further concentrates the remaining tincture by the loss of wax n alcohol and would you add a bit back to make it an oz again? Is the wax part of the gram of concentrate weight so you don't really get a gram of concentrate, you get a gram minus the wax weight? Which would totally screw up the #s...:confusedalt:
    Harley

• Like Like x 3
  17. That's incredible right there lol. Am I discovering the Walter White of cannabis??

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Most shatter these days is cheap, a lot of it trim, and it's not worth it to create "absolute" shatter which is winterized with those waxes and sugars removed already. That used to be common with the higher quality stuff but since "live resin" and diamonds and sauce and all kinds of new things that highlight the terpenes have become so popular, shatter has lost it's value.

Those waxes are part of that gram weight and could take up to half of it sometimes so your potency is in whatever is left. You could top it off to an oz or use less. The cold is what causes those to precipitate. I'd top it off just to keep those numbers in line.

I wish I didn't need to use the stuff but extracting from flower these days is out of my budget. I don't like it but it works. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  19. That much is going to displace a lot of your liquor and leave you with less alcohol for extraction. It's already half water and after you stuff a couple of ounces in there, you're only going to have half the original volume. I wouldn't have used more than an ounce. Otherwise I think you're going to hit the saturation point. But that's me. I don't have a harvest to play with. :)

• Like Like x 3
  20. That totally makes sense. I figured it was too good to be true. oh well......live n learn
    So bud is still the gold standard? Are there any concentrates that come close, like that shatter?

• Like Like x 2