Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. I'm reading so I don't have to ask a bunch of silly questions constantly but how long does natural reduction take?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Depends on how much you're evaporating but it could take a day or a little more. A coffee mug warmer is a good way to do it, too. It's slow and safe. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. So apparently he's done BnW caps and had no results. With bud or kief. Sooooo this should be interesting.

Sent with more cow bell!?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. We'll see how it goes and keep our fingers crossed. :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Yup. I asked him a bunch of questions but i think he finally passed out. I do know he had a really high tolerance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Out of curiosity what's the difference in potency between using cold alcohol versus room temp?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. hmmm

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. There's not going to be much, if any, difference in potency. The differences are going to be in the way it looks and tastes. There may be some difference if it soaks for a while but I'm not sure of that. I'm doing a project as we speak comparing a fast freezer process with no soak and a room temperature 1 day soak. I'm going to take them to the lab this week. It seems a good use for stimulus money.

I don't think the temp will make much difference if using the same quantity of material like I'm using for each, 7g vs 7g, but I do think that your alcohol will have a higher saturation point and will hold more cannabinoids than the freezing cold. Let's say 7g saturates your alcohol when cold. At room temperature you may be able to cram 8g in the same amount of alcohol. This is just a simple example. 7g won't saturate either one in reality.

The freezer is used to inhibit chlorophyll and other polar compounds. :mellow:

• Like Like x 6
  9. Thanks for the info, man, you're awesome. I think I'm gonna try it a little both ways and see what I come up with. I'm excited, I hope this works.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Hey guys! Me again. I gave some of my tincture to people to try them out, but it seems like grain alcohol is not the favourite. I gave some infused MCT oil as well and they loved it!

So I made some droppers with MCT oil - for 5ml of MCT dropper I use 4 gram of weed. What is your ratio?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  11. I use concentrates (rosin, feco) and make my mct oil infusions strong. 4.5-5 mg per drop. Taste wise I much prefer infusions over tinctures, but tinctures have their place as well.

• Like Like x 3
  12. That's not unexpected. Frankly, I worry when someone tells me they like the sublingual burn they get with the tincture but that doesn't mean that it's not as effective. In fact, I have always needed larger doses of oil than I do with the tincture and I've stated that throughout the thread over the years.

But the majority of original material in this thread deals with using the tincture as an infusion into other mediums like MCT, honey, etc. Like other concentrates, it gives you a better infusion than a direct extraction from the flower. And the better your tincture, the better your infusion. :ey:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Soooooo, i just got done filtering my green/golden dragon tincture using everclear 151 proof and started to evaporate with a water bath and my mason jar broke (on an electric stove mason jar in pot on top of cotton pad)_. It's a clean break and I was going to filter it, but I don't know if I can save it now. Its a cloudy light yellow mix in my pot now. Probably about 2 cups of water mixed with 7.5 oz of the tincture. I guess I'm wondering if I should freeze it to remove the water, or should i mix some coconut oil and make oil from it. I am so mad at myself, so pease be nice and know that I feel SOOOOOOOOO STUPID.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Don't feel bad. Accidents happen. We all have our moments.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Thank you for your kind words. Any idea if I can save it?

• Like Like x 3
  16. I think i will leave that for someone with more experience than i. I'm a parinoid sort and probably would toss it all. So like i say I'd wait. Someone will be along shortly i am sure if it

• Like Like x 2
  17. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

24 hours under the fan wll evap the water.
    I'd add coconut oil to the tar and call it good

BNW

• Like Like x 4
  18. You have given me hope! Thank you!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Greetings, Lauren85, and thanks for joining our conversation. You came to the right place and @BrassNwood has already given you some good advice. Because you were using 151 you would need to have evaporated all the alcohol and water from that. Unfortunately, you need to boil off a lot more water. THC is not water soluble so you won't hurt it. Filter it good and you should be fine. Don't freeze it or anything at this point...just boil. :ey:

For those wondering where I am, I've been bedridden for a while which might be close to over. You're not rid of me yet. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. I reduce a gallon of Tincture at a time and recover the Alcohol in a small still. To keep from running the still dry and burning the cannabinoid tar to the kettle I add a cup of water so the tar and oils have something to still be floating in when the alcohol is gone.

That is what you see in the first picture. A cup of water with all the globules of tar suspended. I pour it out in the pan and that high speed fan keeps the surface riled up and moving. It's down to tar by morning.

Add just enough of any cooking oil and work the tar loose. Some mild heat will help both loosen the tars and help it mix with your cooking oil.

Coconut oil is recommended for it's speed of onset.
    45 minutes Coconut oil or MCT.
    2 hours everything else.

BNW

• Like Like x 3