Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. It looks like you could give @OneE a run for most naturals. Now it's time to put the ones that are finished in the refrigerator so that they don't keep changing. dragon (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 5
  2. Hi Sam, thanks...I keep these in the back of a drawer out of the light and at a pretty constant 68F. I had been of the mind that these are pretty shelf-stable given lack of light and more or less stable temps.

I know there's still "chemistry" going on in those bottles. Figure these are going to live about 4-8 months...the first four being in the "aging rack"...let's say one year at the absolute maximum. Do we know anything about the degredation rates over time once bottled?

Definitely want to protect my investment as best I can...I can say I haven't felt any subjective diminishing of the effects over time, even out to maybe 8-9 months from bottle-date.

Thanks again, and sincere regards,
    Pol

• Like Like x 3
  3. I've never kept mine out of the fridge too long after the 4 months especially if I have a few ounces that won't get used quickly. If I do that then I'll have a bottle to use and then leave the rest in the refrigeration. After you reach that 4 month point or maybe a little beyond the THC will start degrading into CBN just like in nature but the alcohol speeds up the process. It may not be noticeable since it's small amounts but you'll probably notice a more sedative effect in comparison to when it was initially decanted. It's just small changes as it goes. It's easily still close to original form after a year in the fridge. :)

• Like Like x 5
  4. Hi Sam, it's nice to see you still answering questions, I just happened to have a question.

I've been making gummies lately but never as potent as I want, I want potent, dangerous Death Nuggets :eek: that's what I've got my gummies called.

Can I do an :
    1) alchohol jar wash to extract the thc
    2) pour it into a bowl to evaporate the alchohol and be left with remaining RSO
    3) can I then infuse this RSO into my desired amount of coconut oil?

I've been using the water, decarbed flower and coconut oil in a pot... I have to do 2 washes, 1 oz per wash to get the potency I want... 2oz for 1/4 cup oil but im finding im losing a lot of oil from the last wash either by not squeezing hard enough or I may be simmering to hotand coconut oil burning off?

I'm trying to find a more potent method of infusing coconut oil for gummies.. your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

• Like Like x 2
  5. I'm getting too old and disabled to be much good for anything other than being that "Answer Man". At least I'm still useful.

You'll get more potent gummies if you use the RSO or the tincture itself than by using a direct extraction into your oil. You control your dosing much better and your concentration.

There's a difference using oil or tincture. Oils have a tendency to separate if you don't get it emulsified properly. It's not hard but can be frustrating until you get it right. If you've been making the oil gummies without issues then the steps you listed above would be a good way to do it. I'd recommend using the method we use here with the freezer and the rinse especially since you're using it for light flavored candy.

However, if you want to try something different without using oil I would suggest using the tincture itself without reducing it down to RSO. You just pour it in your gummy mix as it's cooking at the end, the last few minutes. Here's a little guide I made. You'd use whatever recipe you ordinarily use. The alcohol evaporates leaving all your cannabinoids behind. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif
    Shatter/Dragon Gummies

• Like Like x 4
  6. With stimulus money, I bit the financial bullet and got certified as a patient in Illinois.
    I've been dosing with the oils I made for my partner with MS, trying to get my tolerance up. That is moving along more quickly than expected, and I am able to spend fewer hours lying down.
    I ordered some CBD and CBG from a 50 percent off sale. I got the shake and took a cup of each for a soak in 190 proof. Products were decarbed.
    Fatigued like I usually am, cooking and kitchen prep are always messy affairs. I always use too many tools and dishes. Then there is the stickiness left behind by the cannabis.
    I used 1/3 of a cup of avocado oil and a silicone spatula to clean everything up. Some few bits of shake material made it into the mix, so it looks like a Greek dressing.
    I knew I'd be tired, so I had a cake mix ready. Carrot cake. I used that oil in there.
    I was wondering about what to do with all of my cannabis leavings that are in the freezer, post rinse.
    I read about people evaporating the alcohol and making flour out of the spendings. I guess I CAN do that. I'd rather not, unless some of you folks treating pain conditions recommend it.

Other than that, I had no idea how much cannabis I should grow, what a gram or an ounce or a pound looked like, or what it could produce in meds. I grew autoflowers to get him as much variety as possible to try to find the most beneficial. Running out of freezer and jar space, it's a good thing I became a patient.
    I can't keep myself thinking clearly, due to my health. I can't focus my attention on anything, but for short spurts. I do not remember things I should remember well, and I am always disappointed in myself. (MJ is already benefitting)

PSam, I am grateful to you and others who put yourselves and your experiences here. It has certainly given me a little more confidence to experiment, or to even simply do.

Other than all this, would anyone have a recommendation for a graduated plastic squeeze bottle? I checked some restaurant supply outfits. Shipping is 20 for 6 bottles!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Hey Sam, as I keep reading the thread I start to doubt about my self.

I am not sure if approximately 5ml of grain alcohol are enough to solve all the cannabinoids from 1 gram of buds. If I powder it to dust, this 5ml are covering all the powder, but still. I do a second run with additional 3 ml and I end up with a 5ml full dropper (the additional 3ml are probably absorbed by the buds or evaporate in the air).

Do you think I left potency behind and I can better switch to 10ml bottle per gram? Just let the powder soak in 7ml, strain, second wash with 7ml and use it as it is? Or is my current method with the 5ml as good ?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  8. I have a lot of the same things going on these days. My disabilities leave me drowning in mess but we must persevere. I recommend just tossing your spent material especially if you're growing. There's not much left behind but there is something. However it's a lot of work for someone for little reward. You can use the leftover material to make things like fiber bars or such or flour. It's not worth it. I've done it with fiber bars and they worked well but tasted like crap and were a little hard to get down. A LOT of fiber. I wouldn't suggest trying to reuse it.

Here & here are a couple of examples from Amazon and most of the ones they have are free shipping. All different sizes. :)

• Like Like x 4
  9. That other 3ml is being absorbed during your first wash and you should get all of the second one. What the first one doesn't get the second one will. I'd think that your current method is good. It's not like you're making a large volume that would then need to be reduced. But you should try a 10ml bottle and see if you can tell a difference. :mellow:

• Like Like x 4
  10. Tonight I will test how it turned out.
    I got another tincture bottle - not with pipet but with a dropper in the bottle it self haha.
    I try to measure it as following:
    1 gram will produce me 7 strong doses or a little more weaker once. I took 1 gram of weed, decarbed it and blended it with total of 7 teaspoons of alcohol. At the end I got 7 teaspoons out (I squeezed the weed this time very well). I filled the 25ml bottle and will measure my doses with teaspoons - approximately 30 drops.

Tonight I will mix it with my tea and I will check how it will work out. Will update you a little later.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  11. Thank you, PSam. I hate waste, and I am not always good at preserving my own energies. I will happily chuck the leavings.

It sounds like I Could have made a real experience for us with attempting to use that product. The carrot cake is miles better, even from a box. I loaded the icing, too. I really am just getting started. So many ways to try....

There was no way we could afford the dispensary, even for him. Then the prices went up another 20-30 for the oils. I had no idea I'd like growing in a tent. It has given me a little activity to please myself. I do hope my health and abilities can hold.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Hi Sam
    Just had my scrubbed syrup ingested by a third party
    First report is no cannabis taste
    Now have to wait and hope the potency is there
    The syrup was mixed with some yogurt
    My favorite is a tablespoon of syrup and half a lemon into 6oz of water for a quick lemonade

Nervous about the person's tolerance level

• Like Like x 4
  13. Hi Sam

Ty much for the reply.. answer man ;)

My only issue with using the straight alchohol tincture is that I cannot get everclear or any 190 proof alchohol.. its not here, I can get isopropyl alchohol

Can I use isopropyl and get the RSO once the isopropyl has evaporated... then could I warm up the rso and mix it in with the gummy recipe? Would the rso disperse throughout the gummies ?

Ty again for your thoughts

• Like Like x 2
  14. I mentioned using tincture because it's by far the easiest way but you're right and don't want to use iso for that. I think you've got the right idea of making your RSO then make the oil from it instead. It will be much better than doing the direct extraction with the oil. Don't just add the RSO, though. It won't get mixed. Dissolve your RSO into the amount of oil you want for strength. There's no difference otherwise. You'll be able to make the RSO gummies much stronger. Are you using lecithin? :huh:

• Like Like x 4
  15. Yes lecithin also,

How long of time would you heat the RSO and coconut oil to infuse the coconut oil?5min until iys blended? Or a few hours?

Did the RSO oil itself have to be decarboxilated? before adding to the coconut oil if you used your freezing cold alchohol technique

Thanks again Sam, you're the man

• Like Like x 2
  16. Just a few minutes should be fine as long as it's heated and mixed well. Take the heat up to about 180° for about 15 minutes.

You decarb your material first in the oven or with some other decarb method. Once it's RSO you just mix it and it's ready to go. The amount of oil you use will be dependent upon your recipe. Let's say you want to use 7g of flower for a batch of gummies without a lot of math trying to figure out dosing. So, you want to use your RSO oil to make 50 gummies with that 7g. Your oil is going to contain the same amount of cannabinoids whether you use an ounce of oil or a cup but if you make 100 gummies they'll only be half the strength of the others. If you like your current oil gummy recipe then keep making them. You should already know how much the recipe makes by now so it's just dialing in your potency using the RSO.

Are you able to get 151 proof drinking alcohol? If so then you can use that for your RSO without any lingering toxicity concerns. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Do you think locking in the terpene vapors and having them resettle back into the herb for the tincture has any impact? I've read so many conflicting things about desorbing that I need to start asking the pros lol.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Howdy, @iialexusman, and thanks for stopping by. I'm not real sure we belong in the "pro" category but we do have a lot of experience and opinions among us.

It's my opinion that the only thing covering your material during decarb will do is keep the moisture in. I'm of the opinion that, if anything, the terpene vapors have stuck to the cover instead of falling back on it. It's wasted effort. I haven't seen any lab tests on it, though, to say for sure. :)

• Like Like x 5
  19. If we were actual"pros" we would use data, rather than opinions. Where I live getting lab testing is very hard. :(

I use a nova fx to decarb in. I make sure the starting material is dry before decarbing, and I cover the vessel holding the material with foil.

I do get droplets of moisture on the foil when the decarbing is done. My "scientific method" of testing is to taste, lol. All I taste is water. Imo it isn't terpenes. To me terpenes taste astringent.

The finished material definitely has less terpenes, but without actual lab testing it's back to opinions whether any terpenes are left and or how many.

That each decarbed material (buds, hash, rosin) is different, from each other, in that decarbed rosin acts slightly different from decarbed hash tells me there is more going on than just thca converted to thc. But what is responsible for the difference is hard to say. It might be terpene related or something else.

• Like Like x 4
  20. The Nova Lyft and probably the FX are different than the normal heated methods when it comes to terpene retention. I do have easy access to lab testing and I have done terpene testing of an open air oven decarb, a 4 month natural decarb and a Nova Lyft. After 40 minutes in the oven there are 2-3 terpenes that are detectable. After 4 months naturally decarbing in alcohol there are 9-10 of them. I didn't expect to get any more than that but when I tested the Nova there were 12 terpenes with detectable levels. If you see Nova making claims like that, they are true. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1