Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. That’s what I am after... just a much smaller version as I would never done more than a litre at a time I don’t think. What should I search for if I wanted to find one?

• Like Like x 3
  2. upload_2021-4-7_9-38-24.png
    $89 amazon:)

• Like Like x 5
  3. Thats just the job, cheers. Is it just a distiller?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Table Top Distiller should pull up several makes and models.

BNW

• Like Like x 4
  5. Cheers guys..I have has a look.
    @Green Dragging the one you posted looks like a better solution size wise but the ones I see like that are billed as water distillers... would these be safe to use with such high proof alcohol? Just a bit concerned about leaching plastic or rubber or something... the ones I have found that state are for alcohol are all 10 litre plus and I will never use that much at a time...

• Like Like x 4
  6. I have an essential oil distiller and it looks just like the water distiller, but it runs at a lower temperature. I don't think it's still made, or for sale, probably because it can be dangerous.

You have to be careful. Mostly if and when you remove the top to check the level or empty it, alcohol fumes become airborne then fall to the table or wherever you use it. One spark such as unplugging close to the unit it can cause a fire. Definitely for outdoor use only.

It does work well and I haven't burned down anything yet, but it's worth noting these distillers can be dangerous.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. I've had mine for 3 + years and it still works fine, I like to pour out last cup of alcohol / feco so it doesn't even come close to cooking off too much and burning. Evaporate last bit of alcohol slow and warm with fan and coffee mug warmer. I got a coffee warmer that I can adjust temperature, I love it.:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Cool stuff. Thanks again guys.

I am now wondering if I could use this to perform the solvent transfer process like an infusion chamber with alcohol reclaim. If I was to put coconut oil and gd in until majority of alcohol collects in jug. Turn it off, let it cool right down for an hour+ and then bobs your uncle.. infused coconut oil. Maybe have to evaporate the last little bit of alcohol on a hot plate. I am thinking I would need to be turning it off once the alcohol starts evaporating a. Ws it would get way too hot being as it’s designed to evaporate water so close management on and off would be needed. Anybody done this? Does it sound right?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Actually the reverse is true. Vaporized Alcohol fumes rise not fall.
    It's why Alcohol stoves have been used in pleasure boats for the last 75 years.

Hydrocarbons are heavier then Air and will settle in a boat hull creating an extremely dangerous "Bomb"
    Gasoline, Propane, Butane.

I actually add a cup of water to give the RSO oils and tar something to float in as the last of the Alcohol is distilled off. I made the mistake of running the still near dry and then spend an hour with a toothbrush and more Alcohol getting the now baked on RSO tar off the Kettle.

If you do it that way wait and add the Lecithin in a separate step dead last after all the water is cooked out of the Coconut oil.
    Otherwise the Lecithin will try and Homogenize the water into the oil and that is the last thing we want.

Of particular importance if your filling capsules as any trace of water will melt the capsules over time leaving a blob of half melted goo.

BNW

• Like Like x 4
  10. #25050 MIW, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    I can tell you from experience that alcohol vapors condense on a table or whatever surface a tabletop distiller when the top is off. I believe thats why they have discontinued selling essential oil distillers like mine, instead let people distill alcohol in water distillers, with a nod and a wink. Like I said it's dangerous, and im sure a liability.

Experience because I did have a small fire ignite when I unplugged the unit a couple years ago. Lucky it was almost done, the alcohol in the jug already was removed, a quick bucket of water put out the card table, and I smothered the unit top by covering it, and put out the fire quick. Damages were limited to the card table plastic top. It has a wood top now, and I even saved the cannabis oil, lol. But it did shake me up quite a bit, even though it was outside, it was under an overhang on my (metal) pole barn.

I actually used the distiller today, and now for a reference I wrote on the box how long a qt, 1/2 gallon and gallon take to distill. Because another draw back of using a distiller like this is you can't see how much you have left in it for sure without taking the top off and looking. When you do fairly quickly alcohol vapors condense on the outside of the unit with the top off. And when you put the top back on the silicone gasket swells so much that it won't fit until it cools. So I keep a bucket of cold water to shrink the gasket and to put out fires. Before putting it away I wipe down the outside with iso alcohol to get sticky condensed oil off it.

So is it worth it? probably not for most people. And alcohol vapors do fall and condense, you can take that to the bank. To think otherwise is dangerous. This isn't an alcohol stove that has a controlled flame to burn vapors in a controlled (stove) environment, and the hot exhaust rises in a chimney. Apples and oranges.

I've actually made a still out of a pressure cooker, and with a copper worm, but to me it's a bigger pain in the ass than this, so I still use the tabletop distiller, but outside, carefully and sober. If you choose to distill be safe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. First hand knowledge is always best. Ya hot alcohol condensing was not where my head was at.
    I've had a couple of close calls with alcohol on the boat but thankfully they were limited to the metal can the stove is surrounded by I didn't quite pull the pin on the fire extinguisher but if the flames had gotten any higher...
    [​IMG]
    These things are like an old Coleman gasoline stove. Pressurize with pump and just crack the valve for 1 second to get a tiny splash of Alcohol on the burner.
    Light.
    Give it another tiny burst just before the flame goes out. Keep fussing with it off and on until it's hot and burning clean.
    It's really easy to get just a touch to much Alcohol in the cup then it's spilling down into the big pan and getting larger and hotter and.... LOL

I run my pot still in the middle of the yard and never mess with it until the stove and kettle has had time to cool to near ambient temps. :)

BNW

• Like Like x 5
  12. I recommend one like this. It's good for water and alcohol and essentials and it has a temperature control and it's stainless steel and glass. The ones for water can get too hot at the end and you can burn your stuff if you let it go too long. :)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  13. That would work, just on an industrial scale. You'd be able to do a full transfer with that, especially if you have temperature control. The only disadvantage I can think of is that you'll get oil in your distiller and you'll need to clean it real well before you use it for alcohol again. :mellow:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Thanks Sam.
    I am going to pick one of these up and give it a go. I will let you know how it turns out.
    I am upto about page 150 of the thread so far and still going strong. The info I have picked up so far has been fantastic..

I was wondering if you have ever tried reducing the GD whilst the weed was still in it before filtering? Could it potentially increase potency even further? Or Would it just drag too much chlorophyll and other nasties?

• Like Like x 1
  15. I do it kind like that. What I do is:

1. Decarb 1 gram of weed in preheated oven at 240F for 40mins.
    2. Put the weed in a bag and freeze it for about 10-15 mins.
    3. Take the bag out and run a roller on top of it to powder the weed to dust.
    4. Put the weed in a shot glass and mix it with 5ml of grain alcohol.
    5. Strain it - I don't use any filter, I just take the powder out with a spoon - it won't strain perfectly, but it will do the job.
    6. Do a second wash with additional 3-4ml of alcohol and strain again.
    7. You will end up with 5ml of GD.

I don't evaporate any further, just use it as it is. It isn't the most proper way and it won't make nice, clean tincture but it will work just as good, so if you don't mind that, you can try it out.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  16. You wouldn't want to let it reduce while the material is still there. As long as it's in there it's going to drag more of the unwanted compounds. The purpose of this method is to avoid heating the plant material other than decarb. Then you would also lose some of your concentration to the plant material and will need to rinse it off with fresh alcohol to recapture it. :)

• Like Like x 5
  17. Dear all

I’m new to the forum and have a question I’m sure some of you will know the answer to.

I’m familiar with removing thc to become compline with the EU market for cbd flowers. CO2 is the most popular but also butane and even ethanol are being used BUT there is a much simpler way but I’m not sure what it is.

What I know is that the buds are not exposed to any gas or ethanol and the method is fairly quick (like 1/2 day). Best part is that not much CBD is being lost even thc is taken from 0.7 to 0.2

could this be something with exposing the buds to light or something completely different? Anyone knows ?
    Thanks a million

• Like Like x 3
  18. What a long strange, and ongoing trip it's been...I just wanted to pause and offer my sincere thanks to PsychedelicSam as well as countless others. I just went back and realized it's bee since Fall 2019 that I started making my way through this mammoth thread, and started dabbling with tinctures.

Made a lot of mistakes, learned a lot, and feel like I've finally come to a point where I'm really satisfied with the product. Of course, there's always room for improvement and I'll never stop experimenting.

One thing that PSam helped me really understand was the nature of the slow 4-month natural in-bottle decarb. I tried that once...and was immediately a believer. But then you realize, I waited 4 months for this...if I want another, that's another 4 months, starting...now...

Well that's no good...so the idea came to me, if I started creating a single 30ml bottle of 4-month tincture once a month, then at the end of 4 months, as long as I keep that train rolling, I'll have a constant supply...sounds good, right?

Well something else started to become apparent. With a heat-free natural decarb, the terpenes are retained and that means a lot of of the strain's particular character come through. Wouldn't it then be great to lay in a variety...Indicas, Sativas, Hybrids of all types...that would be great, you could truly chose from whatever variety and character was desirable.

"But Pol," I hear you say, "you devilishly handsome raconteur of kitchen-chemistry, wouldn't that either take a ridiculous amount of source material, or an insane amount of patience?"

Well, patience is a virtue, and I'm not filthy rich so buying all of this source material up front was a non-starter...so patience it is. So I present the fruits of much labor and love, and advice from the kind and wise folks here...
    signal-2021-04-08-183607.jpeg
    Now many of these are still in their 4-month aging process, but I've got a nice train going where every month, one or two bottles are maturing, and one or two new bottles get added to the back of the train. Thus the train keeps going...and going...and going...

It's a good train to be on, let me tell you, and I could not have done it without this place and you kind folks.

Sincere gratitude all around, I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon,
    Pol

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  19. But Pol I say, sounds like a lot of work, so where exactly did you say you keep all those tinctures? :bolt:

Lol, your patience is impressive, good job!

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Greetings, TallCotton. Welcome to our conversation. Unfortunately, I don't have any idea of how to do that and make it compliant. Those methods you mentioned are used mainly after it's been extracted, called THC remediation. It sounds like you're looking for something more natural with the flower. If you could remove the THC or reduce it below .39% then you wouldn't need those solvents.

There could be some light treatment that you could use, maybe UV which degrades THC but not CBD so much. You've only got a small amount to remediate there so it shouldn't be difficult. I don't believe you're going to find much about that here at GC but I can refer you to another website of professional extractors of cannabis/hemp and they should have some info to help you. You'll need to use the search bar to search for "THC remediation". There are a lot of folks there familiar with EU, CAN and US hemp and cannabis compliance. That website is called Future4200.com.

Good luck and let us know if you find anything. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1