Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. IMG_20210214_112128.jpg IMG_20210214_112220.jpg IMG_20210214_112439.jpg IMG_20210214_112511.jpg

Steel cut oats, weeks worth
    Here is just a small example of the syrup's different uses, very easy
    Adding the infused syrup to some apple compote and adding that to the oatmeal
    Infused breakfast, brunch or lunch
    Thanks to the cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger added to the apple compote (homemade gala/grannie smith apples) little to no cannabis taste
    Also in the picture is some blueberry puree
    Between the apple compote and pureed blueberries I can just add the infused syrup to those two products and make sorbet, fruit pops or hand pies with a little prep
    .........or I could leave it all and just do single serve mixes into oatmeal, yogurt, smoothie, cream of wheat

• Like Like x 3
  2. Oh, yes. :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. I will post pics on the next run but my first stage filtering has husks and sediment in the bottom of the pyrex jug and im sure a little plant material also Its cloudy. All of that goes into the aeropress though I don't try to separate the sediment from the alcohol when filtering

Its surprising just how good the aeropress is at filtering this out though. I run it through the aero twice. Even after the first pass the extraction is completely clean.

The first time around I have to use the plunger to get everything filtered through. The second run it just filters through its self without having to use the plunger. I'm still yet to see any sign of contaminants on the second filter pass which tells me that once is suffice, but I do it twice just to make sure because why not.:)

• Like Like x 2
  4. We've had a discussion going about filtering and I want to show something that I think is cool and initially introduced to us by @Tokintb12 during his syrup posts. It's a disposable, inexpensive, reusable plastic Buchner vacuum funnel that attaches to a 500ml flask of the same material. It hooks up to a Seal-a-Meal/Food Saver household vacuum system. They're only a few bucks apiece and well worth it if you make a large batch a few times per year. It may also work with oil but I don't know for sure. It would be nice.

I used this with the saturation project with the roach concentrate material. I did it again but differently this time to try to ensure the concentrate in the mix got fully pulled into the alcohol. The last time I used cold everything and I'm not sure the chunks fully dissolve. They were like rocks melted together with the plant material and the freezing cold may have inhibited their breakdown.

This time I used room temperature alcohol and didn't let anything sit in the freezer. Concentrate can get mighty hard and be next to impossible to melt into cold alcohol. I'm sure that helped but I also did something else I had been considering for a while. I used my ultrasonic cleaner in an attempt to break down those chunks but to also vibrate open the cell walls of the plant material itself. Since this is a rso product breaking down the cells would give even more of a full extract.

Since this is a saturation project that uses the same alcohol 3 times we're not really going to be able to tell if the ultrasound did anything or the room temperature extraction. However, I expect a higher yield from the same amount of the same roach material if it did work. Well, something worked. I got 6.5g this time as opposed to 4g the last time.

I will lay out what I did again with pictures soon. I have to go under the scope in a couple of days then after I've recovered. In the meantime, here's that video. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Thanks, I enjoy my stainless steel filter and get great results but if I can compare and improve, why not?:)
    I use PES (membrane) filtering in stage 2 of a 4 stage process, if I can do better in stage 1 then I can limit or eliminate the later stages
    My chocolates, peach sorbet, and lemonade will probably always need the later stage filtering (carbon and celite) for my personal taste but most folks don't need that amount of filtering, I just need to eliminate as much or all of it

• Like Like x 4
  6. I think you are absolutely right about using sonication in your processing
    It is used widely in commercial processing
    From what little I can understand the breaking down of the cell walls will make compounds readily available for extraction like you stated some time ago, think it was a post of yours in the medical section

This is lab and just a silly example of overkill
    When you mentioned it and I started looking, amazed at what you had researched

• Like Like x 2
  7. Oh, I've been around. cligner.gif

It's a greener extraction than the freezer method because those cell walls are being torn down and letting the chlorophyll and waxes out even more. It would be really good for a RSO, I think. I have some raw material that I may use to compare. I only let the roach dope vibrate for 15 minutes per each 7g jar and did not use it at all on the rinse. I use it when I make MCT CBD oil, too.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sort of best of both worlds
    Helps breakdown for compound availability in extraction but can aid later in emulsification of the same extraction
    Am I in the ballpark?

• Like Like x 3
  9. Yep, another tool in the toolbox. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 2
  10. #24890 rpangelov, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    So, today I decided to give a try to make concentrated tincture without evaporating any alcohol, only by using 1 gram of weed.
    The suggested ratio is 58ml for every 7 grams - 8ml of alcohol per gram weed (rounded it up, actually you will need a little more of 8m).

Today I got some lemon haze - it looks and smells pretty nice.
    IMG_1711.JPG

So I just followed the recipe as suggested with few changes.

1. Decarb as suggested - 240F for 40mins. I break up the buds to small chunks - I don’t know if this is needed, but I do it always.
    IMG_1712.JPG
    2. When you are done decarbing, put the weed in a small bag (spacebag for example), put it in the freezer for 10mins so it cools off.
    After 10mins in the freezer, take the bag and run a roller on top of it. Shake the bag from time to time. The goal is to grind your weed to powder as good as possible!
    IMG_1670.JPG
    IMG_1671.JPG
    IMG_1672.JPG
    The small chunks you see on the photo are just powdered weed which are sticking together, but they are powdered as well.

This is the best method IMO - better than coffeegrinder for example. This will reduce the volume of the weed, so you can use 8ml of alcohol to make your tincture.

Use 8ml of alcohol and shake it aggressively or just keep it stirring for couple of minutes.
    Don’t use coffee filters or cheese clothes as the amount of alcohol is very low... coffee filter will make it even less absorbing some of your material.
    I used a glass - mixed 5ml of alcohol with the 1 gram powdered buds and kept stirring for couple of minutes.
    IMG_1713.JPG
    Keep the glass to an angle like that:
    IMG_1714.JPG
    Roll the glass so that the alcohol replaces - keep the powder on place by holding it with the holder of a small spoon for example in order to achieve this:
    IMG_1715.JPG

Suck the alcohol with a dropper and leave the dust on bottom.

I used 5ml of alcohol and I got 3-4ml of GD back, so I did a second wash with additional 2-3 ml of alcohol.
    Finally I got 5ml dropper full with GD without evaporating any alcohol.
    IMG_1716.JPG

You will see some dust in the dropper - the filtering is not optimal, so it won’t look clear and fancy as it must be, but it works damn well! I just tried it and it works just as well as the other tinctures I had.
    I guess if you use bigger quantities like it’s suggested in the original recipe - 7 grams for 2 oz of GD, you can grind the buds to powder and use 1 oz for the first wash and second oz for a second wash. As the powder will absorb some of the alcohol, you will got a little less than 2oz GD, but you can always decide to make a third was and or evaporate some of the final product. I do this to save my grain alcohol as it’s more expensive than the weed haha.
    The only thing I am not sure about is if this is enough to was all of the good stuff out from the weed, but I assume it does as the tincture works very well.
    Hope this helps!

Small edit: I used one full dropper (equals 0.1gr) with the hash tincture and it was enough. From the powdered bud I doubled the dose - I am very well smashed... very uplifting, talkative... laughing at nothing at all! It seems like it took a little bit longer till it starts to work, but I am not sure if this has something to do with the tincture.
    This means I have 6 doses in this 5ml dropper made from 1 gram powdered buds. Keep in mind I have low tolerance - I quit smoking 2 years ago and I use only capsules, oils and tinctures. The dose might differ to you.

2 years ago when I still smoked I had huge tolerance. Since I quit
    smoking my tolerance is the same, although I use caps/oils/tinctures daily. I keep taking 1 dose in the evening - nothing more, nothing less.

I start to think that smoking cannabis is fast, but not the “proper” way to use cannabis - if I can call it like that. I smoked for 10 years and I know how it tastes and I really enjoyed the social part of it - smoking with friends and so on, but you end up building tolerance and abusing it - as I did. I considered my self a heavy smoker - maybe for some of you it’s nothing haha, but smoking 2 grams every day was how I smoked and I didn’t even get stoned back then. Long story short - I had a long surgery and I was in hospital for 5 weeks - that was my tolerance break. After 5 sober weeks, I still don’t smoke and I use only capsules and tinctures and my tolerance keep staying low! Also... I am way more wasted from tinctures/caps than I ever was after smoking... even in the early days haha. The only real “issue” is to find your dose.
    2 full droppers are a little bit too much I think... tomorrow will keep it by 1 haha.
    Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 4
  11. Nice demo
    The alcohol preservation is a priority for a lot of folks
    Access or cost can be the driving factor on whether or not someone tries it
    Aesthetics are not important and filtering for a small amount is not important unless it is to clean the tincture for a particular use (like a spray bottle)

• Like Like x 3
  12. #24892 rpangelov, Feb 17, 2021
    True that. I don’t know if this is concentrated enough for the most of you, but 2 full droppers are too much for me, so I guess 1 will do the job. It’s perfect for my needs.
    It worth trying :p just 1 gram and 8ml grain alcohol haha.
    Will 151 proof alcohol produce the same strong tincture? It will reduce the burn which is probably not healthy if I understood it well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 151 should work just as well since you're not doing any reduction. :)

• Like Like x 4
  14. Good to know. When my grain alcohol is finished, I will purchase 151 vodka or rum.

• Like Like x 3
  15. #24895 rpangelov, Feb 17, 2021
    2 full droppers were a little bit too much for me - I can handle the effects, but it was stronger than I expected. 4 hours later I was still wasted.

7 hours later I used 1 dropper just to be sure this is the right dose and yes... it is. I feel really nice head high, not too strong, but definitely good strong high. I use it just as mouthwash with 1 teaspoon of tea - it tastes great. It starts working within 20-25 mins.

I will try some indica strains as well just to see if there is any difference. I already purchased 151 proof rum called STROH so I am curious how this will take out.

It’s small 100ml bottle, so I guess I will infuse the whole bottle with 20grams of shake from amnesia haze.

Can 160 proof alcohol do any damage when using sublingual? Or as long as I do it as “mouthwash”, this won’t be a problem ?

• Like Like x 2
  16. It will still burn but not quite as much. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Hey Sam, going to devote the weekend to TLC
    Got a little obsessed with pipette sample procedure
    Just jumping in, like the video, hands on practical experience is the best teacher in absence of the real thing

Hit a bit of a wall with the cannalytics solvent
    Need to refine or rephrase my search
    Probably end up back in the research articles from Israel, Mexico and Canada

Going to try a sous vide of some vaped flower at 82c (180f) for twelve hours and then perform a cold extraction
    Hoping the vape tincture runs on the sleepy/pain relief side

• Like Like x 2
  18. The solvent smells like chloroform or ether but don't you dare take a big whiff of it or you'll wind up on the floor. There's several different solvents that can be used for TLC. Most companies I've seen other than Cannalytics use 2 different solutions, one for extraction and the other as a developing fluid. I guess we could ask them but I doubt they tell us. I do know what the dye is though....Fast Blue BB Salt. :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Another good find for me from Sam's page! So, @PsychedelicSam I made about 3oz of shake into a tincture, following your green dragon recipe we've discussed a few times, I'm actually cooking it down right now. I always forget you're guide for cooking it down but I figure I can get this 32oz of infused alc. down to about 8oz of tincture. 3+oz of shake into a 8oz tincture sure is potent, for me at least. Anyways, Do you think mixing this into about 34-36oz of honey will suffice? I usually make about 70 doses out of an ounces with my edibles so that would mean an equivalent dose of honey would be a little under a teaspoon.
    Basically I'm asking because making honey seems too easy and, I guess, I'm seeking reassurance that I am not being over confident about my approach o_O Sooooo:thumbsup: or :thumbsdown:?

Thanks for all the great resources btw. I was looking for the cannasugar recipe I thought I saw on your thread before but then saw this and am thinking "hmmm, honey, why not?"

• Like Like x 2
  20. Well, honey is easy. Just to show you how easy it is let me tell you a story. Quite a while ago just as I was starting to look into edibles for pain relief and the only thing available to us was oils/butter and bad tinctures. I wanted something different than brownies, cookies and other standard fare.

So I scoured high and low and happened to run across an obscure recipe for honey. Everybody thought you needed fats for cannabis to work but this was completely different. I looked it over and decided to try it. I did not know that I was making Green Dragon tincture at the time. Nobody believed that it would work and everybody was making fun of me. I persevered and the rest is history then this thread was born.

I'm telling you this so that you understand my complete confidence in this honey. If I could do when I didn't know anything then you can easily do it with the information you've already gleaned. If you've done the math and you've figured your dosage then you should be golden.

Here's that thread, my first, to give you an idea of how this honey came about. It's only 2 pages. You may want to read it to get an appreciation of how I feel about the honey. Just background. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

Sounds Pretentious but here goes "PsychedelicSam's Magic Honey Elixir"

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1