Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Those here in the good ol' USA 65 and over can start to try to make an appointment for the Covid vaccine. My state just approved the new guidelines, about an hour ago, so I got online to schedule mine right away. The appointment times were rapidly being taken as I was filling out the form. I got the last spot for the day. It's not until early February but at least I have it scheduled. I can already feel some relief. :yay:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. citric acid decarb 1.jpg
    I finally got a mortar and pestle so that I can work on that citric acid decarb project which I hope to do today unless something comes up. I had originally planned on using different kief but that stuff was too good to waste on a project when something else will work. So, instead of 80%, I'm using standard dispensary dry sift that averages 35%. 5g will still be about 1750 mg, over 17 100mg doses if it works right.

It's a good mix of strains. The New York Sour Diesel and Afgani are the major ones then a couple of "Lemons", Lemongrass and some other, one Sativa and the other Indica.

I call this a citric acid decarb instead of a citric acid extraction. The citric acid doesn't extract. It generates the heat for the decarb but it's the vinegar or the ethanol that actually does the extraction. In fact, you can make a tincture with vinegar but it's not as good as an alcohol tincture. I've never made one but it might be interesting to try it out. BKS says that because of the citric acid, water can be used as well. It generates the heat to pull the oil but I expect that to become an emulsion instead.

Since others have recently made the vinegar version of this, I'm going to do the ethanol version and because I expect it to be a better extraction. This is about the decarb and the ability to use it in dosing. Gotta read up one more time then I'll tackle it. It's a several day project. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Ooooh. I need to look into this! I had no idea about the vinegar, either. I am really looking forward to this.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hey folks! I´ve got two questions I could use help with.

1) I used the solvent transfer method to convert some of my alcohol tincture into oil (MCT), but realized later that I did not add any lecithin. To do that now, do I just need to heat up the oil until the lecithin melts into it, or is there other heating time I should be aiming for? What ratio do you all use (lecithin to oil)?

2) I´m interested in making some capsules. Is there an easy way to make them more shelf-stable - i.e. not requiring refrigeration? I´ve bought capsules like this at the dispensary that were just filled with dry powder, but I have no idea how they did it.

Thanks!!

Wade

p.s. Almost one month down on my natural decarb batch! I thought I could just put it in the cabinet and forget about it but no...I keep thinking about it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Wade
    1/6th oil volume is the general target for Lecithin to oil ratio. More won't hurt but less does lessen the strength IME.
    1 tablespoon oil = 1/2 teaspoon Lecithin.

You can add the Lecithin and do a short 220 F for 20 minutes to bind it to the oil and Cannabis.

I've used BadKats Hash-Kief oil Capsule recipe for 8 years now and they are room temp stable.
    I've got them pushing 2 years old and they are just as wickedly strong now as when first made.
    No trace of mold or any signs of the capsules melting.

Her thread or my hash cap thread are one in the same recipe.
    BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    [​IMG]
    First pair of dishes done

[​IMG] This was the last 2 days efforts as I'm in the middle of making more Kief Capsules right now.
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  6. And reading your guys' posts, it's also clear to me that I do not have sufficient lab/measuring tools to be doing what I was trying. Guess it's time for me to invest in some type of controlled burner and measuring/mixing kit. Ahh... back in chemistry class, whoda thunk?

• Like Like x 2
  7. You know, that all depends on what you're planning to do. Some of us do use lab equipment but nearly everything here can be done with household adaptations. Beakers are really nice and a dedicated work area and a few tools come in handy but spoons, knives, glasses, jars, etc. work just as well.

You had been discussing making rso versus dispensary and how it was so much easier to buy it and the difference in dosing, from nada to green out. The burner and beakers will make a big difference. If you look through the pictures at the beginning of this thread you'll notice I used jars, a coffee warmer, rice cooker, crockpot and a metal bowl for the double boiler setup.

One thing that I wish I had is a tabletop alcohol distiller. I sure wasted a lot of alcohol. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  8. You can go ahead and add the lecithin now. You don't add lecithin until after the solvent transfer to your oil. I personally don't use lecithin except as an emulsifier but if using for your caps then BNW's 1/6th ratio is the accepted amount.

Don't use water in the processing of your oil and don't use vegetable caps. I've have to see those powdered caps to offer any opinion of what they are and how it was done. I've seen various caps around including decarbed shake capsules so there's no telling what they were. Did they work? :huh:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Toaster Oven = Found on curb on trash day. A 15 cent wire connecter fixed it.
    2 stainless steel cat food dishes = $2.97 each
    Digital Gram scale = $15.00
    3 gallon pot still = $95.00
    2 kitchen baking pans = $3.00
    Potato ricer = $1.50
    Mr. Coffee Mug heater = $13.00
    Kitchen measuring spoons = $3.00

That is the list of things I use day in day out for all my creations.
    I long ago settled on the Kief-Coconut oil capsules as my primary medication and a toke or two of kief as a finish topper. Puts me right on target every day.
    YMMV

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sam, this made me wonder if there if one wants to stop the natural decarb process after 4 months. Is that the case? And if so, how? Put it in the fridge?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ooohhh, those look nice! Thanks for the pointers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. They worked! But they were expensive. I think $60 for 10 capsules of 10mg THC.

Strangely, it didn´t even occur to me to simply put decarbed weed in capsules. Duh. On that note, I´ve been baking the leftover material from my last two tincture batches into peanut butter cookies and getting some really nice results. Maybe I´ll get some gel-caps and just fill 'em up with that.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Yep, that's the way to do it. The refrigerator and not the freezer. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. 20210119_183925.jpg
    I'm a couple of days into this project with maybe 3-4 more days according to BKS' notes but she doesn't really say why. There's a heated version and a sit and wait version. I'm doing the latter. The heated version is 180°F for 10 minutes and accomplishes what normally takes 5-6 days. Again, she doesn't say what that does. I expect it has to do with the citric acid decarb but that might also push the decarb because of the heat. She seems to say that the reaction can be tracked by the color or the mix but not what it indicates.

There are 4 strains of kief averaging 35% potency or about 350mg per gram, 1750mg total. It's interesting to note the different colors between the strains.

20210119_183634.jpg

I added 1 teaspoon of soy lecithin granules and 2 tsp of citric acid powder to the kief and began to grind all the dry ingredients together.

20210119_192347.jpg 20210120_181618.jpg

I then slowly added 6ml of 190 alcohol and started mixing it together as it turned into a gritty paste and darkened considerably.

20210119_194109.jpg 20210119_194712.jpg

At this point I'm supposed to cover it and let it sit overnight. I don't know why because at that point you're just transferring it to a jar to finish up. Part of that is allow the glandular material (trichomes) to dissolve. At this point it's pretty gritty. This is the following day.

20210120_175739.jpg 20210120_175923.jpg

So, I transferred it to my storage jar and am waiting for it to finish "curing". I do not know if it is activated. I haven't tried any yet although I have cleaned out the mortar and have a "drink" that looks pretty nasty with the fine particles of kief floating around in it. For some reason I expected it to dissolve. I'm afraid to drink it but I guess it's something I need to do in the name of science. I'll be back with more on that once I can build up the courage.

20210120_180435.jpg 20210120_180457.jpg Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 2
  15. You guys are really advanced, want you all on my team! haha.

Question - I'm still a new user (first year) - what's up with the deja vu/incredibly vivid memories? It feels like time travel at time. Very overwhelming, but wonderful. It's helped me "fix stuff" from childhood. I've heard weed called "The God plant."

• Like Like x 3
  16. Greetings, Sam! About 3-4 years ago you got me set on decarbing concentrate and transfer it to sugar. I decarb the concentrate in a halogen oven for about 10 minutes at 300 or a little lower until the bubbles stop. I then add in 15 grams (1 tablespoon) of 190 everclear, stir, and pour that onto my waiting sugar. Stir it up and evaporate off the alcohol and it's a fantastic technique -- so easy and effective. Thank you so much! But I now have a question. My morning blood sugar readings are a bit high, and I'd like to transfer the alcohol/concentrate onto something else other than sugar, and I'm stuck. First thing that comes to mind, because it's also granular, is salt but it doesn't sound palatable. If I stir my alcohol/concentrate into a little oil, can I then evaporate it off same as sugar and finish the solvent transfer in oil. Would that work? I just want to avoid sweets for the time being. Thanks for any ideas!

• Like Like x 2
  17. That's one of the good things about it. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. #24778 PsychedelicSam, Jan 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    It's good to hear from you again, dannya.

I'm glad that you've been enjoying the sugar, but yeah, it can mess with blood sugar. The same goes for using honey, agave and syrups but fortunately with a solvent transfer you're not limited to those. You can also transfer to oils, butter and as you mentioned, salt. Salt doesn't seem to be a good choice to me. I've never made it although it's exactly like the sugar.

Here's a little video I made showing how to transfer to coconut oil. It used GD but it works the same with concentrate like you've been doing with the sugar. Decarb, dissolve in alcohol then evaporate until all the alcohol bubbles are gone. Very simple. magiciendisparait (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif
    Solvent Transfer from Green Dragon to Coconut oil w/video

• Like Like x 3
  19. It's kind of funny, you and I are running the same experiment at the same time on two different platforms. I actually just sent you a message last night if you get a chance to read it.

What I'm struggling with is this. using the citric acid as a simultaneous decarboxylation and extraction does appear to be producing a water soluble cannabinoid extract. However, when attempting to force this extract to co-mingle with other carrier oils or emulsifiers it appears to be collapsing the entire lipid delivery system structure that we get from using various oils as infusers or carriers. Any idea how to stabilize its presence in part of a larger formulation? Right now I'm using a four lipid delivery system with a variety of emulsification and liposomal encapsulation techniques boiled down and combined to produce a single pill with up to four phases delivering up to around 1,000 mg of THC over a 10-hour span. This would allow us to add a front loading tier and further potentiate 11oxo conversion from following waves.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Greetings, anonarcissists, and welcome to our conversation.

You know, they say great minds think alike although I'm not sure I quite fall into that category. There actually is three of us here at GC that set upon this around the same time along with tapioca maltodextrin and we've been comparing notes. The others have used the vinegar tek and I wanted to see how those turned out first before I did mine using ethanol instead of vinegar.

You're actually quite a bit ahead of me. I'm still in the curing stage. That's an interesting concept that you're working on there. I like the idea of the extended release. I've used that concept some with my double and triple whammy projects and with modern techniques you should be able to come up with a pill. I don't know much about the interaction with your delivery system but I would wager that the citric acid has something to do with that breakdown.

I would be interested in discussing it further. I'll respond to your pm in a bit. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 3