Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Love the info. I always wondered a bit on that so thanks for that!

• Like Like x 2
  2. What a thread!

I have a question and a comment.

Is an alcohol tincture considered water soluble?

I used 3 ml of feco in one fluid ounce of 200 proof food grade alcohol. Each drop is roughly 4.5 mg, but it was painful under the tongue. So I reduced the tincture volume by 1/2 on a coffee warmer, then increased the volume back up to one ounce with maple syrup. Its much easier to tolerate now, and the strength should be the same. But to use it I need to shake it up before use. Not as much as our medicated maple syrup that we used lecithin in to mix it with the water based syrup, but it does separate eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Greetings, MIW, and welcome to our conversation.

It is not really water soluble. The alcohol is but not the cannabis oil in that alcohol. If you squirt a dropper of tincture into a shot glass of water you'll see that it turns the water milky with spontaneous emulsification. Eventually it clears and you'll find cannabis residue stuck to the side of the glass. However, if you place your dose in that shot glass of water and swish it around in your mouth as long as you can before swallowing it will work as well as a direct sublingual, maybe better because it doesn't burn. I very seldom do the sublingual route.

You can take that combination of tincture and maple syrup and put it on the coffee warmer to evaporate the remaining alcohol. That will infuse your maple syrup without having to use a water based syrup or lecithin and you'll have a very nice maple elixir. :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Sam,

I know that I should "know this" but I can't find it in my memory.

When you refer to edibles that are products that are "double whammy" or such, do you take the original dose and split it? Or do you take the ( original) intended dose and double it?

To make myself more clear (kind of overmedicated) if I wanted to put 50 mg to be the dose would that be two items at 25 mg each or would you use one or two items to infused?

• Like Like x 2
  5. With a "double whammy" I use two different infusions usually with different uptakes. I like to use honey, agave or sugar and then butter/oil. The sugary one comes on quickly then the other extends it out. Sometimes I'll use a Sativa in the first one then an Indica in the other one, depending on the effects I'm trying to achieve. The double whammies have never disappointed. :)

• Like Like x 3
  6. It really helps to have a good idea of the dose strength. In our tincture each drop is 4.5 mg. Having that knowledge makes it easy to adjust dosage.

Yesterday I used 5 drops (22.5mg) in scrambled eggs at breakfast, followed by 3 drops (13.5mg) in the early afternoon. And I took a 40mg capsule before bed. This gave me the effects I wanted and still able to function at a normal level. Some days I use less, or more depending on how I feel and what I'm doing.

For other medibles/edibles I like fairly low doses and small portions that we can double up on if needed. Our chocolates are 18mg, for me, a threshold dose that can be a light dose or that dose can be adjusted with another chocolate or tincture drops or something else.

Much better than the old days when we could easily over or under dose because we just did know the strength.

• Like Like x 3
  7. How long have you had the tea tree? I wasn't aware it went bad. I've kept some a pretty long time without any issue. I use it a lot. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hi Sam:
    I know this isn't the CBD thread but have a quick question for you.... is the process of making CBD oil exactly the same as making GD only with a different end product?
    by that I mean extraction - filter - reduce - solvent transfer to oil?

• Like Like x 2
  9. I don't do anything different with my cbd plants versus my other plants. I hope Sam doesn't surprise me with this....

Sent with more cow bell!?

• Like Like x 3
  10. #24410 PsychedelicSam, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Exactly the same, pushu. That's the way I prefer it as opposed to the direct extraction with oil. I know it's an extra step but the quality of the oil makes it worth it along with the ability to control your potency.

No surprises, @Heavn.
    cligner.gif

• Like Like x 2
  11. Your index has many links to topicals, but haven't had luck there or elsewhere looking for specific information/opinions.

Following this thread, I've infused all kinds of oils, butter, sugar, honey and even bacon fat with some really good results. For cooking purposes, hemp oil wasn't great. I never found an edible that complimented the flavor. What are your thought of using it as a rub/lotion? The hemp oil stays fluid, so I put some in a two ounce pump/spray bottle. Do you think that using it as-is would be effective as a topical? Side note; this was a relatively high THC content White Chocolate strain and was decarbed before infusion.

My wife has been having neck/back pain. I used her (and myself) as a guinea pig. We both thought there was some benefit, but realize the potential for the placebo effect. She's out hiking with a girlfriend this morning. Hoping today's application helps her get through it.

• Like Like x 4
  12. There's as many versions of cannabis topicals as there are people who make them so mainly what I do is discuss what goes into them, potency, extraction process and esthetics even as opposed to just throwing everything in the crockpot. I mainly use a solvent transfer from GD to my oils when using plant material or dissolve directly into my oil blend if using concentrates. I give my main formula in the topicals video but that's just me. Everybody has their own choice of oils to use and that can fluster them trying to figure it out but it's just a matter of combining your choice of oils before infusing.

The "hemp" oil is what? Hempseed oil or mct infused from hemp/cannabis plant matter or....? It should be effective if it's got cannabinoids in it. It will probably be even more effective than when you dilute it with beeswax for a balm. I believe she'll report good results when she returns and then again after reapplication. If you take that oil, add some beeswax and essential oil you'll have a basic balm. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. I used GreenIVe - Hemp Oil like this:

Thanks for the information. I'll try the beeswax and essential oil additions. Although the spray bottle application doesn't work bad, a balm might be a better method.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Phew got scared for a sec

Sent with more cow bell!?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Its surprising that I really don't notice much in the way of CBN effects..... tho I assume there has to be some in there. Its not really helping me sleep any more than it did when it was fresh -- sativas are still pretty 'upity' and the indicas are nice and chill. I need to plan better and take the GD earlier around 8-9pmish so that the edible side is hitting ~midnightish. I'm finding that the late night stoning helps me fall back asleep when I wake up instead of sitting there wide awake..... I wish there would be more CBN.... I think.

• Like Like x 5
  16. I like BBQ...a lot. Especially when I'm "medicated". yes (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Alot of reading to do
    Quick question

I am looking to put whole cured buds into say.. 750ml of alcohol.

At 40% alcohol how much weight of buds would I need?

And at say 80%?

My plan is to NOT decarb the buds before putting them in. And after say 4-5 months I can take a shot of alcohol and get the cannabis effects I desire.

• Like Like x 3
  18. I've been working on this for an hour doing the calculations and had everything written out, quite long, and getting ready to post it when my computer hiccupped and lost it. I'm not going to try it again since it was quite detailed and will instead just give my results.

Alcohol extracts at ~35mg/ml@ 20°C, I think. After calculating the percentages and total mg available I conclude that your upper limit should be 2oz, 56g. That gives you 8400mg available in your 750ml of 40% liquor. That's 25 shots of 336mg per shot. Probably a better tincture for shots might be to use just an ounce of buds.

I have a really bad shoulder and need to take a break. I'll try to run down the math I used for that. I didn't just pull it out of my hat, I swear, although that's not saying the math is right. :ey:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. You ARE Fabulous!

I'd never have guessed those numbers even close.
    (Taking the math accurate)

Thank you for everything

It will be atleast a week until I start soaking the buds in the booze

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. #24420 Tokintb12, Dec 3, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    Hi Sam, just wanted to post some pics of my tincture filtering
    IMG_20201123_142137.jpg IMG_20201201_220837.jpg IMG_20201201_221017.jpg IMG_20201201_221033.jpg IMG_20201201_221105.jpg IMG_20201201_224042.jpg IMG_20201202_220639.jpg IMG_20201202_220645.jpg IMG_20201202_221656.jpg IMG_20201202_223504.jpg IMG_20201202_225455.jpg
    Before I do any more gum mixtures I want to try the celite and carbon scrub through the buchner and use that tincture for the reduction and infusion into the syrup
    Really want to see how it will hold up in carbonation when enough of the "goo" was removed

My plan is to see if the vape tincture cleans up, this will give me practice for a regular tincture,
    if you are over on 4200 search PES filtering, down that rabbit hole now

• Like Like x 4