Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. yoyo im back in need of more help.... I keep making rookie mistakes lol but i'll get to the perfect tincture soon. This time when i was gonna reduce the heat got too hot I think. I wanted to reduce about 2.5x more but I got scared tbh. The alcohol was bubbling pretty heavily and i could just imagine all the cannabinoids breaking down. I don't know if I was correct tho.. The tincture still works but I'm not sure its very strong. I reduced by putting my glass jar on 4 cotton pads in simmering water in a pot. Oh and the water was completely evaporated for I dont know how long hehe.
    Any advice on how to reduce it properly? And does any1 know how easily cannabinoids are ruined?

• Like Like x 2
  2. No matter how vigorously the alcohol boils, its center will stay at the boiling point of alcohol/water around 170 F. The bottom of the container touching the stove can get hotter, but vigorous stirring can keep temps uniform.
    The main danger of boiling too fast is that the container might boil over.

I stir mine with a thermometer, let temps rise to about 230 F, then dilute the resulting FECO with oil to cool.

• Like Like x 3
  3. You were doing it right but just be sure you keep water in the pan. The alcohol only gets up to about 173°F and won't go higher. That's not hot enough to break down your cannabinoids. You may want to turn the heat down so that the water is just at a light rolling boil. :)

• Like Like x 4
  4. I am so very pleased to announce that we now have our own gummie recipe using GD or concentrate dissolved in alcohol, what I call a "Shattered Dragon". There is no oil involved at all. Just the tincture. No lecithin. Just the tincture. I'll get it written up and dropped in soon. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. CBG bud by itself is kind of weird for me it's kinda like I'm high but my mind is very clear and seems I can focus on things better. Some people say its energetic and some say it makes them tired. I've tried CBG bud from about 9 different places and its usually energetic for me so I love it. But almost all CBG bud available right now comes from the same seeds sourced in Oregon, so if you buy it your likely getting a strain called the White(a cbd strain was mixed with a THC strain called the white) but the white cbg strain has 4 different phenotypes so that might account for the difference in effects people are experiencing. Also lots of info online is very very conflicting as far as boiling points and how you would decarb it if you want to make edibles. I've researched it alot if anyone is interested let me know and I'll share what I've found. Also if you plan to buy CBG bud just know that the trichomes fall off really easily and for this reason I'd suggest looking for untrimmed CBG bud(saves money too) or hand trimmed CBG bud(more labor intensive so more expensive) and try not to get machine trimmed CBG bud. If you get machine trimmed it will likely be less potent than whatever their test says but it will still work but you'll notice more trichomes falling off like powder if you get untrimmed or hand trimmed CBG bud.
    Right now I've got a few jars of CBG bud going through a natural decarb process. Gonna try doing a batch for 4, 5 and 6 months and once they hit those marks I'll put them in the freezer to hopefully stop the natural decarb process and then when they are all done I'll try to sample each one for a few days to try to see what might work best. I'm in NJ and we are starting a hemp program in the state and hopefully that will mean I might finally have access to a testing facility in the next year.

• Like Like x 2
  6. #23306 PsychedelicSam, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Dragon Gummies

GD gummies1.jpg
    As I've stated a few times, I've been looking for a gummy recipe appropriate for this thread which is all about infusing edibles with GD but I could never find the right one. Thanks to @420Hopeful I have been able to accomplish that. He provided the basic process but used a solvent transfer to oil instead of using the GD itself.

I used some Blue Dream shatter for this since I can't afford to use fresh material anymore but I still put this in the "Dragon" category since it still uses cannabis infused alcohol. We have Green Dragon, Gold Dragon, occasionally a Purple Dragon and this is "Shattered Dragon". They all work the same. The only difference is that when using fresh material you need to concentrate your Dragon down but with the concentrate you just have to dissolve it at the desired potency.

Since there's only one of me I only made a half batch and that's going to be the recipe. It made 24 of the leaves and 6 of the little bears. I filled the molds all the way to the top this time and have gotten some nice, consistent gummies. Each of the leaves is about 20mg and the bears 4mg.

Ingredients

1/2 of 3oz package of Jello (~42g)
    2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
    1/2 cup of apple juice or other juice of choice divided in half
    1 tablespoon lime/lemon juice
    1/4 cup of honey
    1 tablespoon concentrated Dragon tincture

In a small saucepan combine the jello, 1/4 cup of the apple juice and the honey. Stir it all well then add the Dragon and stir.

In a small bowl dissolve the unflavored gelatin into the other 1/4 cup of apple juice. Stir it well and allow to sit for 5-8 minutes to bloom. It will be slurry like so be sure to get it mixed well then just let it sit. After about 5 minutes you'll see some lighter spots appear on the surface. That's the bloom. Let this sit while you're preparing the jello mixture.

Turn the jello mixture on medium low heat stirring often. We want the mixture hot enough to help evaporate the small amount of alcohol but you don't want it to start bubbling if possible. Getting it too hot creates a foam.

Time it so that the jello mix is ready at the same time as the gelatin. Just dump the gelatin into the jello mixture and stir until it's all dissolved and continue to heat on medium low for 5-8 minutes stirring constantly. Don't let it boil.

Remove from heat and pour into molds. Let cool then refrigerate for a couple of hours. Remove from molds and place on a rack/tray to air dry for 2 days at room temperature. You can store them in the fridge or on the counter.

And so, you ask, what happened to the Dragon? Well, it just vanished....poof!....and left its magic behind. magiciendisparait (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. #23307 PsychedelicSam, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    Specially designed for panic buying......

Screenshot 2020-03-15 at 8.51.09 PM.png

exprhorloge (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Asking for a friend: should I not reduce the dragon and use the full volume of melted trichome juice to make hand sanitizer?

• Like Like x 1
  9. My gut reaction is a resounding "no". If you just want to use the alcohol you can do that, but I don't think the addition of THC affords any advantages.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Oh, I can think of many advantages!
    I was kidding, but, yeah.... use sparingly!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. #23311 PsychedelicSam, Mar 17, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    I wouldn't waste good GD on that. The virus isn't going to enjoy it like you will. While there is an anti-viral terpene found in some strains, Ocimene, it's lost with the other terpenes and wouldn't be enough to be effective anyway. I think that you'd get more benefit from ingesting it instead. That's what I plan to do. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Haha, Sam...I can just see them little covid germs getting ripped and couch locked.
    Seriously, I am making a batch of gd today, and it occurred to me that I should have bought that water distillation contraption reclamation still last month. Prices keep rising on them. Not that I need hand sanitizer, I know what soap & water is. Remember folks...do not lick the bowls too much, wear gloves when making capsules, or go ahead and rub a tiny bit of fresh unconcentrated gd all ovr your body to excite and confuse them sneaky germs! :roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Yes.
    These are available in several places, and the link I gave might not be the cheapest.
    I own 2 of these.
    They are Green Oil Machine clones.
    They work pretty quickly, but the large size makes removing everything difficult.
    It's also possible for them to scorch and ruin herb.
    They reclaim about 75% of the ethanol, and I shut mine down when 70% is reclaimed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. I am gonna put this here in case anyone is interested in do you goody box promo

BAKE FRESH EDIBLES WITH NOVA

Make better edibles than the dispensary for pennies right at home! Turn your bud, trim, kief or concentrate into your favorite treats, topicals, and tinctures at the press of a button. Use just a tiny bit to make super potent products.

Bake fresh made edibles RIGHT INSIDE NOVA (no kitchen needed!) using Ardent's NEW Cloud Cakes

Get $30 off for 48 hours only with code: GOODY

Sorry but this was the only place I could think of that might have people interested in this promo.

Sent with my new moo moooo

• Like Like x 2
  15. Here's the one I use. Looks like it's not available on Amazon at the moment and the price is higher than what I paid, but there are a lot of clones out there.

The thing about this one is that it allows temperature control. When you're reducing the alcohol you want to be above the boiling temperature of alcohol, but below the boiling temperature of water. I use about 175 degrees (80C).

• Like Like x 3
  16. I will trade my hand sanitizer for your tincture. :) if you look up Alton Brown's hand washing and hand soap videos you will get some sarcastic but informative statements on these subjects. If you know him from cutthroat kitchen, then you will not be disappointed.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Because a lot of people may be prone to forget about checking on their reduction and then reduce it too much and wind up scorching the cannabis oil. I'd be one of those, especially if I was medicated. I think I'd set it a little lower for a more controlled reduction even though it may take a little longer. I prefer gentler heat if possible. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1