Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Well, I certainly hope that it helps her out. It's just that Indicas are better for pain if there is an option. :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Let me share a little tidbit that someone just told me. I have a friend who is starting to use concentrate instead of flowers for tincture and oil because of the scarcity of good material. Because she is new to the whole thing, I advised that she get a Nova which she did.

She used it for the first time last night and had an interesting experience. She was going to make 2 batches of GD from shatter, each of which was a nice amber. The first one turned out like you would expect, a nice gold solution. However, the second one had a surprise in store. While the shatter was amber, the tincture that it made after decarb in the Nova was the color of grape koolaid. It was a purple strain but I'm not sure which one. I wish I had a picture of it. She said it was very pretty.

I'm not exactly sure why that happened since it was an amber extraction. We've seen that with flower but that stayed purple from the beginning. I wonder if it's a Nova effect on the compounds. It's something I'm going to have to delve deeper into. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 8
  3. I guess it was more l;ike 10 oz alcohol I started with. Finished product is about 1 oz. Then added to oil.

Maybe I just have the potency all wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  4. If you used 23g and it's all in that ounce then it should be pretty darn strong. However, I would have felt better if you had said that you evaporated all the way down before adding the oil. That shouldn't be affecting the potency, though.

There's a couple of things I can think of and the first that comes to mind is that 1ml just wasn't enough. That would be the easy fix.

I'm concerned about the 90% iso, not so much for toxicity but for the moisture content and since you used the MBM, there's no way to tell if you're getting some separation. If that were to happen then your cannabis oil would glob up and a lot would remain on the leftover material. Hopefully that's not what happened. Let's wait to see if a higher dose does the job before we delve into the "what if's". :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. #21825 Jsaunders, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Did I miss read that- the alcohol tincture will kick in faster and be stronger then oil?

How is the oil weaker asa concentrate with the alcohol removed ?

On another subject. People love certain strains because of the taste when smoking. ( Girl Scout cookies/ gelato/ wedding cake )
    For tincture we just want highest thc level - I can’t see it altering the taste of the tincture ‍♂️

If ground and used in an edible with there be a tastes change ?

For my tincture 1 oz weed At 13% potency would be 3640 x 85% extraction. Would be 3094mg

I reduced the tincture down to 4oz.
    At 1ml a dosage theres 118 ml in 4 oz. there for giving a 26mg dose for every 1ml consumed (if my math is correct ) lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oil isn't weaker, it's different. It's absorbed differently and in different locations. I need a larger dose of oil than I do GD because it has to go to the liver first and stomach acids and other "first pass" issues will destroy some as it goes through. However, once the oil does reach the liver the effects are enhanced by the 11-hydroxy metabolite.

The GD is absorbed beginning right in the mouth and stomach lining before the destruction begins so the dose needed would be less. The thing is, though, that the effects are different so it's more like apples and oranges. I use them for different things. I use the oil for deeper pain relief because of that 11-hydroxy effect. I use GD for everything else. I smoke for recreational. The oil lasts longer.

Yes, we like our strains' taste while toking but some of us also like for that taste to come through in other products, too. It's not all about the THC. If I thought that was the case then I'd be advising everyone to get a Magic Butter Machine. No, taste makes a big difference. I swish GD in a shot glass of water and I really enjoy that it tastes like the flower did when I toked it. I also like it in hard candy. I use very little flavoring so I can taste the strain. The flavor makes a difference to many of us.

You wouldn't notice anything distinct about the flavor profile in brownies or cookies but you would notice the lack of chlorophyll and other compounds that can give them quite an aftertaste. But what do I know? :confused_2:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. I do like the taste when added to water.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I just came across something interesting and I know that some of you will also be interested. It has to do with how long it takes for cannabis to decarb naturally in plant form. I had never been able to go beyond 2 years in my testing but this week I had a chance to carry it out another year.

Earlier this week I was present for the extraction of a couple of pounds of hemp "biomass" and another of very old high THC flowers that wasn't in good shape. My friend runs a cannabis business and had collected a lot of odds and ends over the years. This material was at least 3 years old and that made it a good choice for this new type extraction since it would be no big loss.

We extracted that pound and the hemp and had the results tested. Those results have come in and indicates that those of you thinking to use your older material without decarbing should think again. Only half of the THCA had converted to THC whereas 10% had converted to CBN which is going to make it sedative.

3 year 134a extraction.jpg
    I'm not really surprised that only a little more than half was decarbed. We specifically used this material to see how far decarbed it would be. Nor does it surprise me that we have such a high CBN value. The 2 year sample I had previously tested was trending in those directions.

The thing I find most interesting is the CBD. First, there's so much of it for the kind of material from which it came. Secondly, and more to the point, is that nearly all of the CBDA converted to CBD in that same time span. We're not able to see degradation of that since they don't test for CBE but we can think that isn't a factor due to still a little CBDA remaining.

We can take away from this that 3 year old high-THC cannabis still needs decarbing but high-CBD strains, including hemp, does not as long as THC isn't a factor. Of course we would have to test some 3 year old high-CBD material to further verify that but at least we now have a data point for that. :ey:

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Thank you Sam. The knowledge you share is amazing - I love learning more about this plant every day

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. who has pounds of weed just sitting somewhere for 3 years?
    What were the conditions that it was sitting in? Light / dark room- vac sealed bag or zip lock

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Well, if you operate a cannabis delivery service you get a lot of odds and ends from the turnover. It was kept in a safe but no other special treatment. No vacuum. That kind of stuff builds up quick. It's the stuff that had lost its bag appeal. Ziplocks and turkey bags. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Okay, I'm sold on the arm. When it comes to the thermometer (etc) holding part of the arm, my first instinct is that the black foam on with multiple holes and slots would be more versatile. But my bad track record of first instincts leads me to believe that the single metal clamp would be more long-lived. What do people with experience think?

BONUS QUESTION: Is there anything I should know about choosing the right kind/size of thermometer?

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 1.52.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 1.53.01 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. I use a long, thin glass thermometer I got for testing the abv of reclaimed alcohol but it's hard to read and in Celsius. Be sure that you can see the etching/print on it. A "lab thermometer" in both C & F would be good. :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. #21834 Wake'n Bakester, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Hey all! So, today I noticed this little cup of gummies on my shelf. I guess it's been around a month since I removed them from the freezer. They were covered (but it's a cheapo plastic condiment cup).
    20190722_075103-1.jpg
    You can see the shrinkage (it's been a hot summer) the smell is definitely reminiscent of the faint mj flavor I remember... kinda oily weed smell ( my nose asks if this is oil that has begun to turn...I got a sensitive palate for tastes and odors, y'all, but a month on the shelf is pretty long and I store my mj butter in the freezer because rancidity is the worst thing in a kitchen!) ... There's still some squish in the middle. Flavor seems bland at first, then intensifies...just as expected. It's basically a sugar and citric acid coating that is really doing a good sealing job.

For clarity....these were gummies made with a "traditional" mj flower in coconut oil infusion. It was a recipe adapted from DiamondDelight Edibles...just wanted to see how they hold up over time on the shelf. My coating was plain sugar crystal immediately out of molds, dried on rack for a day (they may weep a little) coated a 2nd time in a mixture of sugar crystals with lemon koolaid aid and some citric acid too and a bit of powdered sugar. lol. just a sweet sour flavor coating..? Left out to dry further for 3 days before packaging.

I need to make another GD tincture, and my everclear was placed in the freezer on Saturday, so I need to review the process again, since it's been awhile since I made any.
    I have a good supply of honey at the ready. I really want to do the gummies using the GD honey (without other ingredients in there, Sam :rolleyes:) IF I can eliminate the oil, I might not have the separation issues I previously dealt with.
    Where's my GD tincture notes? :roflmao:

• Like Like x 4
  15. Sam: have you made any changes to your topical recipe? I haven't made any in quite a while and thinking about making a new batch,

• Like Like x 3
  16. #21836 BrassNwood, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Alcohol tincture like smoking, vaping, topical, rectal are all Delta-9-THC. Hits fast and lasts around an hour lets say.
    Cooking oil transfer and eaten is a whole different game.
    Much slower to come on it can take an average of 2 hours to really get dialed up.
    Most oils require bile to breakdown (coconut oil excepted) so takes a while for the body to start processing cannabis infused oil but once it does that Delta-9-THC passes to your Liver where it undergoes a really incredible transformation into a new compound called 11-Hydroxy-THC.

11-Hydroxy-THC

This is the stuff dreams are made of. 5 times stronger per mg and 10 times longer lasting.

Plus you need to keep in mind we all take a different amount of edible. My wife needs just a trace and she's knocked for a ride. I need a truly massive dose to get cranking but eventually even I will say enough, "I'm to High".
    (eats all the cookies and wants more).

Most alcohol tincture enters the body the short path as delta-9 IME. Even added to water and mostly swallowed the alcohol enters the blood stream in the stomach lining for the most part and it's a much shorter high-relief as least on me it proved that way.

Cooking oil whether direct or alcohol transferred as RSO base will take the long path through the Liver and be changed to 11-Hydroxy-THC.

Both will control my pain but the long path 11-hydroxy-THC means all day relief from a single dose. Short path Delta-9-THC I'm dosing every hour on the hour.

This is why we advise people to sneak up on oil based edibles as they can carry a real punch and it doesn't wear off if done right. Your in for an all day high.

BNW

• Like Like x 5
  17. No, sir. Everything's still pretty much the same although I did try some lecithin in a couple of batches. It didn't seem to make any difference in the effects but it did make the cream softer with the same amount of beeswax. I stopped using it and went back to old faithful that has been servicing me nigh these many years so well. :sneaky:

• Like Like x 3
  18. Seems like the gummies experiment was a success for the shelf life. I'm not sure that I'd ever keep any for a month. My chocolate is still shelf stable after nearly as long and I'm happy with that.

When you're ready to make the honey give me a holler. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. #21839 Wake'n Bakester, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    I lost my handwritten notes, but is this correct?

7 grams bud decarbed freeze 24 hours
    Two portions of 3 oz everclear (6oz total) freeze 24 hours
    pour 3 oz of EC into the jar of frozen buds and shake 5 minutes
    put the jar in freezer 2 hours, shake again 5 minutes smush it around real good with a spoon, then filter into a clean jar.
    Place strained wet bud back in original jar and pour 2nd 3 oz of EC in.
    Shake vigorously and strain/smash again, combine the 2 batches and filter in a pre-wet with EC paper filter( to get rid of any remaining trichomes and waxes).
    Reduce with evaporation or mild heat.
    ***AFTER REDUCTION, PROCEED WITH DIRECT USE OR RECIPES***

• Like Like x 2
  20. Yep, that's it. Reduce it to the strength you want it before you do the honey.

Sorry I'm late. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3