Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. For alcohol tincture your material needs to be dry. Not cured but dry. The moisture from the fresh material poses some complications. 15% moisture level would be the limit I'd want to use. Sometimes when making a natural tincture any kind of moisture can throw a monkey wrench into things. If if's humid out or raining and you're naturally evaporating and/or using a fan blowing on it in humid conditions then moisture can be introduced. Add that to already moist material and it can compound.

Very low heat should work.

If that happens then you'll start to see black dots start to form as your reduce. Then you have to do the 151 process even though you started out with 190 proof. :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sam
    What temp do you want to reduce the 190 tincture at ? I understand the water is at a slow rolling boil... is then an optimum degree?
    Some times it seems a higher boil will darken up the tincture from a green to a brownish tea looking color

How much oil should one get when reducing down 1 oz or weed?

Thank you again for your time and help

• Like Like x 1
  3. #21803 PsychedelicSam, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019

I use boiling water but the tincture will not get over 160°F or so while it is bubbling away. The temperature increases once you get down to rso but still won't go over the temperature of the boiling water which is safe for your cannabinoids.

Are you reducing to rso instead of GD? I've found that I get about 3.5g of rso per ounce of decent bud.

The change in color is just the chlorophyll breaking down. No harm. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. I work as an Associate Winemaker / Lab Analyst at a winery. The arm on the stir plate not only can hold a thermometer, but also a pH probe,and also pipette for tritrating acids.
    Keep in mind that alcohol (EtOH) will boil below 212 where water boils. This is the way stills work, by slowly bringing up temps close to boiling, at say 208 F the Alcohol will start evaporating out of the mix and when there is no more EtOH in the "mix" then the temp will climb to 212, at which time water starts to also leave to the condenser and if you run it too long all it does then is dilute the distilled EtOH with distilled water. EtOH at it's boiling is extremely flammable, and quite volatile; fumes can bust into fire and even cause explosions. Some engines are designed to run on alcohol so you know that it is close to gasoline for danger for fire and explosion.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Raw uncured bud is less then Ideal IME. It needs that cure time to achieve a better balance of THC to CBD and the rest of the entourage to come of age.
    I've tried again and again to shorten the time between harvest and extracting the Kief I make my capsules from and it's just lacking a critical something every time. I've long given up and learned to understand some things just can't be rushed. Like a good bourbon or wine it needs time for the fullness of the flavor and effects to come to full fruition.
    30 days minimum in the jar. 60 is better but 30 is close enough for .gov work.

[​IMG]
    Baby pot still I use to recover my Alcohol from tincture when making RSO. Since California now only permits a max of 120 proof it is handy for redistilling 120 to a much higher proof before my extractions.
    With one eye on the temp gauge and one on the catch cup I can spot exactly when I stop getting alcohol and she spits water. Temp climbs past 80C and the output will suddenly go cloudy as the water hits the cup.
    The $100.00 it cost paid for itself the first time I ran it in recovered Alcohol.
    BNW

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Alcohol boils at 173°F but it will start bubbling in a double boiler/water bath application around 150° and will stay around 160° throughout the GD reduction even when the bubbling is aggressive. It will rise as it gets close to rso but not if just making a tincture.

Oh, yes, alcohol is highly flammable and explosive and caution should always be practiced. Always use ventilation. I learned that lesson early. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 3
  7. I was thinking that both THC and CBD were pretty much set in stone by the strain, it's time of harvest, and once picked, pretty much finished. Some strains have very minuscule amounts of CBD and I don't think ageing will make more of what isn't there. You might end up with more CBN, but that is a slow breakdown of the THC.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Technically there's no reason to cure the material as long as the moisture is gone. There may be other reasons to cure, though. Esthetics such as flavor and bag appeal as well as the continued enzymal action that does modify the metabolites as they age. There is only going to be so much THC and CBD as you say, in the form of the acids. Curing, like aging spirits, is more of a craft. Let it "cure" too long and you get vinegar. Literally for the taste. In my experience it seems to start tasting like balsalmic vinegar as it reaches 2 years old. :confused_2:

• Like Like x 1
  9. I took 22oz of pre boil down tincture (use 1oz weed) and reduced it to 8 oz and then put it in the jar. I was trying to make it strong for my friends with Lyme / cancer - I was hoping this 8 oz would be noticeably different then the last batch I made that was only reduced down to 10 oz.

I took 1.5ml tonight 800 pm est and I’m high but I’m also typing this 3 hrs later and I’m still fully functioning as I post this now. Lol

10. Does that mean you like it? :huh:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yes I like it.

I’m new to all of this and I don’t smoke so I don’t know what the high is supposed to feel like. I’ve also never done any other drug or even pain pills.
    My dad on a chocolate edible I make or tincture say he has almost psychedelic highs from my stuff. I can’t say that I’ve ever been that messed up to be able to say that.

Now the kicker tonight ... my guinne pig who always gets high on new treats I make took 1.5ml of same tincture and said she didn’t get high at all - not even one bit. 5 hrs and nothing - it’s just puzzling to me.

• Like Like x 2
  12. This tincture is different than smoking or other edibles and it may take some folks awhile to fully understand it. The strain can make a big difference. A Sativa can be subtle and be more of a mood elevator instead of a "high". It's hard to explain and needs to be felt. An Indica, however, is more like people expect with the body effects. What strain are you using for this? :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. I don’t know what the strain is. She got the weed herself and gave to me to make for when she gets out of surgery. (Should be tomorrow)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Those who have a tolerance may need to have the tincture reduced a bit more to increase concentration. Start with your current ratios for now and go from there. :mellow:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Its funny how everyone is affected differently by edible or tincture.
    My mother takes 3 drops and sleeps and I take 1.5ml or same stuff and I’m making posts lol.

• Like Like x 3
  16. So I made this yesterday.

-About 1.5 cups 90 % iso (I know I know. I didn't have another option)
    -25 grams mid grade flower
    -decarb 30 min at 240 degrees in oven (break into small chunks by hand, cover with foil, cool completely when done)
    -grind
    -toss alcohol and plant material in Magical Butter Machine
    -2 hours
    -strain
    -evap off about 1/2 remaining alcohol
    -left with dark brown solution, about 1 oz

And....it didn't medicate me at 1 ml.

Did I do it wrong?
    Not take enough?

17. Your decarb was 10 minutes or so short, but I don't think that would cause it. You only used mids so your should not expect much.. You had approximately 2,500 (at 10% potency which may be too generous)mg X 80% extraction. (again maybe too generous) giving you 2,000 mg.I'd try increasing the dose. You could also bottle it and put it in a dark place to naturally decarb the rest of the way. Are you drinking ISO?

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Thank god no, not drinking ISO. Extracted then put back in oil. It was 19%. I’ll try more....

• Like Like x 2
  19. Welcome, jamiequadra, and thanks for joining our conversation.

Your decarb should be good enough. It's a little better than what we all used to consider a full decarb but wasn't, 225°F for 30 minutes, so that shouldn't be a big factor. Because you used the MBM, you didn't rinse with fresh alcohol and left about 25% of your potency behind and that would be a factor.

How much solution did you recover after straining and filtering? You started with 12oz of alcohol. If you used heat with the MBM then you probably lost some volume there. If you had only 1oz after evaporating half then it seems you only recovered about 2oz of that 12 you used.

Or, as implied later, did you evaporate all the iso and then use mct oil and is that the 1ml dose that you took? Sorry about the 20 questions but I'm just trying to get the picture. A 1ml dose of oil as opposed to alcohol will take longer to take effect and usually requires a larger dose than the alcohol tincture. I want to think this is your scenario because I don't want to think about ingesting liquid isopropyl.

You didn't do anything "wrong" although there could be improvements such as the type of alcohol used and a rinse. It sounds like it should work but you just might need a little more. If the iso's evaporated off and replaced with oil, that is. cligner.gif

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1