Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Another Tincture Thread - Try it, You'll like it

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by PsychedelicSam, Sep 4, 2012.

1. It's just about an inch. Too much and the beaker will float away. Just be sure to place a jar lid on the bottom so that it doesn't rest directly on the pan.

It will eventually lose potency after a while. I keep mine in the fridge. :mellow:

• Like Like x 2
  2. That's probably going to depend on how much THC was originally in the CBD flower. As long as it had been mostly CBD then I don't think there's going to be too much chance of testing positive, especially since it had already been vaped. I think she's safe but the home test should set her mind at ease. She may want to let them know that she does take CBD. I believe they base the "positive/negative" results on the amount of THC found and not just finding it.

There's more of a chance someone will test positive after using a full spectrum CBD product or a strain that's has a higher ratio of THC to CBD. A strain like AC/DC or Ringo's Gift or hemp flower probably wouldn't pose as much of a threat.

For CBD flower and trim the most I've found was about 0.7% and that was with the high-CBD cannabis strains. Hemp has been right about the 0.2% range. Not much at all. :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Just do the math out - if 7 grams weed makes 3 oz GD .... 28 g weed will make 12 oz GD

• Like Like x 3
  4. Is there a point where you don’t add enough 190 proof to wash away the thc?

Example 28 oz of weed crushed down in a jar ... I can cover it all in easily 8 oz of 190 proof
    On second wash I can use 5oz to cover it

How much thc can the 190 hold? Or should I be using more 190 and then evaporating it off?

Just a wild thought while working outside on this 90* day.

• Like Like x 2
  5. No, don't do that unless it's an emergency and you have to skimp. There is a saturation point with the alcohol and you don't want to pack the material in too tightly. You want the alcohol to flow easily and reach all the trichomes. I recommend 12oz of 190 for the initial extraction and 10oz for the rinse if you're extracting from 28g. Out of that 22oz of alcohol you'll recover about 18oz of dilute GD which you then reduce to your desired strength.

I know it's a drag to evaporate off all that expensive alcohol but that is how you get your concentration. If you're going to make large batches then it would be beneficial to reclaim it and use again. If I ever win the lottery I'll do some lab tests to try to pin down that saturation point but from experience it seems that the better tinctures come from the use of abundant alcohol. However, sometimes you have to make do with what you have.
    Enjoy your 90° day. It's going to be 110° here in Phoenix today. diaboliquue.gif

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. The already vaped CBD I have is from 7 different high-CBD strains. The Certificate of Analysis for these strains lists THCa from 0.66 to 0.98% and Delta9-THC from Not Detected to 0.13%, with the total CBD from 16.56 to 25.27%.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  7. If it was well vaped I don't think it will pose a problem. :confused_2:

• Like Like x 4
  8. A funny thing happened to me on the way to the Coliseum,,,, I was doing a "Bing" search for info on the Ardent Nova Lift decarboxylator and arrived here. PSam gave the thumbs up and I now own one.

I decarbed a bit of left over trim and then added hi-proof to it (95.5% EtOH... yes I am a chemists working in a winery lab) and mashed it around for a couple of days. Used the vacuum filter at work and #1 Whatman filter and cleaned up the crushed, decarbed product. Using more EtOH I washed down the residue in the filter and called it good. Dark green fluid, very flammable. I used a wide mouth canning jar, and with a coffee filter at the top and held down by the ring I left it sit out for a while and then helped it along on my coffee pot heating (warmer) plate. Got it down now to a solid an resides under the cupboard in the kitchen.
    Golden Dragon
    Even asked what was "GD" and was told it was Green Dragon or Golden Dragon and just recently found page 1 with the index and the info on GD. Never thought about cold alcohol, and frankly could not quite understand "why" cold weed and alcohol were best. Now I know

I was going to mix in some VG into that dried sticky mess to see if I could make a sort of slave/ ointment, which was the original plan. For this dark green stuff it may be best. and try a under-the-tongue tincture on a future batch.

Pictures of the Wipeout Express top flower Trichomes from a VERY tiny cut on the top flower and viewed and captured under my USB Microscope... NICE microscope for under $20.00 !!!

Tue Jul 09 21-55-46.jpg

Tue Jul 09 21-58-06.jpg

Tue Jul 09 21-52-30.jpg

Do you all think it's getting close to harvest???

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Actually, I've heard from a few people since I "approved" the Nova.

I wouldn't use vg for your "mess", which is called RSO, to make a salve. It won't incorporate very well and the vg doesn't make a good topical. I would suggest using an oil like coconut or almond or a combination. It's going to be pretty green because of that couple of days you had it mashed up. Using the cold alcohol and quick processing gives you a nice light green or gold solution that tastes like the flowers used.

You'll find what I believe to be good information on topicals in that Index you saw. It's the "Topical Creations" series and I tried to cover the process for anyone interested in that subject.

I can see color in these photos. Do you see those amber highlights on a few of those trics? It's considered ready to harvest when about 30% of your total trichomes are that color. The rest will be the opaque ones with few being the shiny ones. That's been my understanding anyway. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 3
  10. Thank you very much sam

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Hey, everyone. I've been away too long. Glad to be back.

I'm thinking about a long term plan. I want to make my first no-heat method GD.

I know I can reduce the alcohol mixture through natural evaporation, and let the resulting concentrated liquid sit for three or four months for a natural decarb.

What I'm wondering is whether it's possible to do a solvent transfer to coconut oil through natural (no-heat) evaporation and patience. Can such a thing be done?

• Like Like x 2
  12. You might want to give it some mild heat after the alcohol has naturally evaporated from it. Not enough to hurt it but just to bond. Keeping it stirred with a magnetic stirrer might be sufficient, though, without the heat. I've never done it, however. :)

• Like Like x 2
  13. Would there be a dramatic change from THC to CBN if you do a long 4 month natural decarboxylation?

• Like Like x 1
  14. No, not at all. Slightly less than the heated decarb. :)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. I have the lab results for the terpenes left after a decarb in the Nova. It looks to be quite a few that are retained but I don't know if that correlates to heated or natural decarb results. I'll try to find one of each for comparison. It's not a large percentage but terpenes never are anyway. I'll get the results edited and posted so that we can discuss them. :mellow:

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Those brief hints about the results showing some remaining terpenes are interesting, and give me some inspiration for wanting to know more. Let's frame these results with a couple more points of reference.

I would be willing to create a small batch of natural-decarb tincture with that same purchase of Jack Herer, •and• donate a gram of it as-it-came-from-the-dispensary for two more term content tests. I think I have enough of it left that I can make that happen. One test we can do soon, but that tincture will take a while to be ready.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Let's carry that thought a little further with the results we currently have that already give us that content. Let's start with the current Jack Herer that we just sampled.

Nova Jack Herer Terps.jpg
    @entman should be interested in this since he's the one who spurred this project but so should those with the Nova. I have determined that I really don't have any terpene results post-decarb of the flower. The couple that I have found are tinctures and those values are only 1/10 of the flower so they are not a good comparison. The only good comparison would be to do an oven heated decarb of the same flower to know if there's a difference with the Nova.

However, what I see here is quite a nice lineup of the important terpenes containing a decent measurable value of 12 out of the 19 they test for. While it's true we didn't test the raw terps for comparison, this is the one that's important especially in light of what I'm about to share since this is the actual lineup after decarb in the Nova.

Terpene compilation.jpg
    This is the terpene results for the Darkstar Genesis Project and it shows a sampling of the terpenes as the natural decarb progressed. Due to budgetary constraints I could only give what I thought would be representative so I used the raw flower then the raw tincture and finally the terpenes remaining after 3 months. I considered that close enough to the final fourth month for a good reference.

Because this is a tincture that has been reduced to 4g/oz, the values of nearly everything is going to be 1/10th that of the flower. For example, if this flower was 22%, which is was, then the tincture at this ratio is 22mg/ml. Because of that some of the terpenes might be too low to detect for an accurate comparison but it doesn't take a lot of terpenes to give an effect. They're measured in micrograms or less and the lab software doesn't carry it beyond. There's only 7 terpenes detected in the natural tincture so the Nova definitely gives a broad enough range to rival a natural decarb.

A tincture of this Jack Herer should give a terpene lineup that equals or maybe exceeds the natural, taking that extra decimal point into consideration. That's the test I would be more interested in and it wouldn't take 4 months...that and the oven decarb comparison. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 5
  18. Apropos of nothing, I'm thinking of buying a magnetic-stirrer/hotplate to help with my cannabis creations. Are there features, brands, minimums, maximums, etc that you would recommend or warn against? My main use will be mixing isolates, distillates, shatter, terpenes. I'm not terribly interested in an arm that can stick up and hold things over the plate. My budget for this tops out around $100.

• Like Like x 2
  19. The arm is for your thermometer and you should have it. If you didn't want a heated one then a thermometer would be redundant. That's all the arm is for although you could adapt it for other things I would suppose. The thermometer comes in handy if you're making something like syrup that needs steady stirring and temperature control. The knobs on the box aren't calibrated well. Something like this should work.

For some reason we can't post from Amazon so I found this one there for $63.99. It doesn't have the thermometer stand listed although the pic has one but you can always use a clip on one. There are others at various prices. :)
    amazon stirrer.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  20. Psam,

Do you ever make tinctures from fresh plant, uncured?

When you make tincture from non decarbed bud, do you do anything to get the bud very dry? Something like super low temp in the oven?

• Like Like x 2